U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-25-2010, 12:49 AM

104 posts, read 140,103 times
Default Is Buffalo Safe?

I am curious do you feel Buffalo is Safe? I am wanting to move to New York and have been interested in the Buffalo area, especially due to the cheaper rent. Do you feel I could find an Apartment 1 or 2 bedroom for around $700-820/ month and would it be in a safe area? Also how lively is Buffalo, and does it have a good Art scene. Any recommendations other than Bufalo that is a decent size city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-25-2010, 05:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,677,929 times
Just like any other city its size Buffalo has safe neighborhoods & it has not so safe neighborhoods. On paper it has a high crime rate, in person its not over run with street gangs like a lot of other eastern cities.

For $700-800/month you can get an apartment or even a duplex in a lot of the safer areas or the very safe suburbs.

Unread 02-25-2010, 12:56 PM

726 posts, read 1,040,975 times
"safe" is kind of a relative term. Where are you from? Your criteria is pretty vague and fits most cities in the US.

Unread 02-28-2010, 12:41 PM

414 posts, read 901,621 times
yes its relatively safe, yes you can find a great apartment in the 'art' district for that dollar range and yes Buffalo is considered a top 10 art city.

Unread 02-28-2010, 01:20 PM

What I mean when I say Safe is can I actually even walk in the city. I read the forums and people have made Buffalo seem like it is Compton. That is what i am asking. Do you have to worry everywhere you go. I can understand if you are going out at night that is different. But when you are out during the day would you have to watch every step. I was concerned after looking at the city data stats and especially reading forums. In no comparisons is Buffalo to Compton Obviously but hearing peoples opinions I am kind of concerned. I understand that there is obvious sections you steer clear from, but is there crime all over or is it in sections.

Unread 02-28-2010, 02:01 PM

27,061 posts, read 30,575,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
What I mean when I say Safe is can I actually even walk in the city. I read the forums and people have made Buffalo seem like it is Compton. That is what i am asking. Do you have to worry everywhere you go. I can understand if you are going out at night that is different. But when you are out during the day would you have to watch every step. I was concerned after looking at the city data stats and especially reading forums. In no comparisons is Buffalo to Compton Obviously but hearing peoples opinions I am kind of concerned. I understand that there is obvious sections you steer clear from, but is there crime all over or is it in sections.
It is over exaggerated. You would most likely be an Elmwood Village, Allentown and North Buffalo type of guy anyway. Those areas are nice and have the vibrant, artsy things that you are looking for.

The Elmwood Village Association
Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau
Elmwood Village buffalo - Google Videos
My Elmwood Village : Buffalo New York Neighborhood Information & Events
Delaware District - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

AllenStreet.com... Buffalo's Allen Street District
Allentown Association
Allentown Art Festival
Allentown, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allentown - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

North Buffalo, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Parkside Community Assn - Buffalo, NY
North Buffalo - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries
North Park - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries
Parkside - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Unread 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM

27,061 posts, read 30,575,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is over exaggerated. You would most likely be an Elmwood Village, Allentown and North Buffalo type of guy anyway. Those areas are nice and have the vibrant, artsy things that you are looking for.

The Elmwood Village Association
Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau
Elmwood Village buffalo - Google Videos
My Elmwood Village : Buffalo New York Neighborhood Information & Events
Delaware District - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

AllenStreet.com... Buffalo's Allen Street District
Allentown Association
Allentown Art Festival
Allentown, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allentown - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

North Buffalo, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Parkside Community Assn - Buffalo, NY
North Buffalo - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries
North Park - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries
Parkside - Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries
You might like Kenmore, which is pretty close to all of the other neighborhoods I mentioned:Events / Meetings

Kenmore, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unread 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks CK I really appreciate all the help!

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:13 PM

414 posts, read 901,621 times
The people who claim its dangerous most likey never leave the soft glow of their computer, nor have had anything personally happen to them.

Unread 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,554,272 times
Your definition of safe completely depends on the neighborhood. Personally, I would look up some apartments you like, then post what neighborhoods they are in. Some neighborhoods are like their own little village, they have their own culture and look.

Personally I like the areas between Main and Hertel. Plenty to do, with many shops and restaurants, lower crime. You don't have to go far for anything, that is what I look for in a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area