U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM

744 posts, read 1,001,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I would love to say the people in the area would be very open minded and friendly towards you right away but I don't think that would be the case. It would be more of a situation where neighbors would whisper but eventually be friendly and cordial.
I don't think that is at all true in this day and age. I live in Niagara county and our former next door neighbors were a lesbian couple. There was no whispering or rudeness of any kind. They were treated no differently than any other couple in our neighborhood. I would hope that our city cousins would be just as enlightened as those in eastern Niagara county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM

205 posts, read 260,838 times
At first I would think Elmwood. But if you don't want to send the kid to private school I would say... anywhere in the suburbs. They are all great for raising a family.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 11 days ago)

31,555 posts, read 37,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
At first I would think Elmwood. But if you don't want to send the kid to private school I would say... anywhere in the suburbs. They are all great for raising a family.
Don't forget that there are Charter options and I believe that the Olmstead schools are good too.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM

47 posts, read 142,569 times
I just sent you a message. My same-sex partner and I are moving to Buffalo this summer, we have a son. Would love to meet you if you make the move! I included my email address in my message to you.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 AM

144 posts, read 355,184 times
I only skimmed the answers to your post but only one person seemed to recommend the Parkside neighborhood. We moved here from Michigan 2 years ago and settled in Parkside. I think you would be quite happy in this area. It's a lovely neighborhood, there are several private schools in walking distance. The zoo is here (we live 3 blocks from the zoo and love hearing the seals "barking" at feeding time!) and shopping is close by. Our streets have children of all ages. While I'm sure there is crime in any city (including the burbs) we have never had any problems. I walk the neighborhood daily in nice weather, no problems. My grandchildren visit in the summer and I have no qualms about them walking to the park or the Wilsons for a soda. We have Delaware Park, the Darwin Martin House, the Historical Museum is within walking distance, Hertel Ave has some neat antique shops and great eateries.

I also noticed a post that said a gay couple may not feel welcomed. I don't know where that poster lives but the Parkside area has many gay couples as well as single gays. Our next door neighbor is gay, and has no problems.

Simply put it's a great, we have people from many races, life styles and professions. I think it would a be a wonderful place to raise a child, it is diverse, full of history and has plenty of things to enjoy. Come visit the neighborhood, I'm sure you'll agree. If you'd like to stop by with your family when you do contact me via city-data and we can make arrangements.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 69,160 times
Living in the city, near Parkside, would be a good choice, except for schooling for your kid, you'd probably have to pay for private school which is why families with kids usually live out in clarence/williamsville where the good schools are. I'm not saying Buffalo isn't tolerant but it's not LA, NY, Chicago, etc.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 11 days ago)

31,555 posts, read 37,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonna123 View Post
Living in the city, near Parkside, would be a good choice, except for schooling for your kid, you'd probably have to pay for private school which is why families with kids usually live out in clarence/williamsville where the good schools are. I'm not saying Buffalo isn't tolerant but it's not LA, NY, Chicago, etc.
What schools are Parkside kids zoned for and there are some good private options right in that area.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,617 times
I would suggest Snyder. We have had many same sex couples and no one has treated them any differently. Many places to walk to, places to eat, it's very safe, and Smallwood is a great place to start kindergarten. Oh and also you can find a great house for 200,000 here. Good luck to you and your family and I hope you let us know what you decide.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM

69 posts, read 104,600 times
North Buffalo and Elmwood, around Bidwell and down a bit are okay. I know several same-sex couples raising families there. Kenmore is more of the conservative, whispering type of village, but no one is blatant about it (I live in Kenmore and i'm gay), long as you mow your lawn,lol. Now Allentown, no way. When I moved here 12 years ago, it was THE gay area, but now its only got a couple of bars and it's turning not so friendly in certain spots. Williamsville is similar to Kenmore, just on a more upscale level. There really aren't any problems with being outwardly gay that i've seen or heard. People who have a problem generally keep it to themselves.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 28,664 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and ideas about where to live! They are so helpful and interesting and I read them religiously but haven't posted any replies as I don't want to jinx our chances (my partner is still in the middle of a very long interview process)! Hopefully I will know something more concrete about our possible move soon.

Several people have mentioned Snyder but when I go to remax.com to look for houses in the Snyder area it is not given as an option. Is Snyder part of a bigger town?

Thanks again for all the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area