U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:52 PM

744 posts, read 961,074 times
Remax is a very VERY small plare in the local real estate biz. Check out Hunt or Realty USA together they control approximately 75 % of the local real estate transactions and listings. Homes show up on their site about a week before the other sites get them.

Welcome to HUNT Real Estate Corp

RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate | Northern PA Real Estate

Snyder listings would probably be under Williamsville or Amherst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,285 posts, read 34,983,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2134 View Post
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and ideas about where to live! They are so helpful and interesting and I read them religiously but haven't posted any replies as I don't want to jinx our chances (my partner is still in the middle of a very long interview process)! Hopefully I will know something more concrete about our possible move soon.

Several people have mentioned Snyder but when I go to remax.com to look for houses in the Snyder area it is not given as an option. Is Snyder part of a bigger town?

Thanks again for all the replies!
Snyder is a part of the town of Amherst and is in the Amherst SD. Amherst High is located there across from Daemen College. Nice community and just down Main St. is the University of Buffalo.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM

14 posts, read 66,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What schools are Parkside kids zoned for and there are some good private options right in that area.
I'm not totally sure, sorry, someone else could probably answer better. I know there's some private school right near Delaware park which is parkside, I think it's Catholic? Sorry.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 AM

69 posts, read 100,442 times
Nichols Academy or School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonna123 View Post
I'm not totally sure, sorry, someone else could probably answer better. I know there's some private school right near Delaware park which is parkside, I think it's Catholic? Sorry.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:45 AM

As far as Snyder, its ok. Main Street can go either way as far as being a family neighborhood, all the way to a "hood", depending where you live. Its a long street though, goes through several towns, including prestigious Williamsville. You might want to think about whether you want to live in the burbs or the city, as many suburbs are actually not all that close to the city. Then again (and I know i'm gonna get heck for saying this) there isn't much in the city to offer a family, certainly not in the evening. At 5 on Friday, there's a mass exodus of city workers who spend their weekends in the burbs, not the city.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwebm View Post
there isn't much in the city to offer a family, certainly not in the evening. At 5 on Friday, there's a mass exodus of city workers who spend their weekends in the burbs, not the city.
Below:Saturday 7/11/2009

Below: Sunday June 14,2009

Below: Friday January 1, 2010

Below: Saturday December 5, 2009

'Nuff said :-D

Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,285 posts, read 34,983,877 times
I believe that there some other private schools in and near Parkside too.

Also, what about the arts scene in the city of Buffalo? You also have sporting events and other events that are family friendly.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Ok, nothing, except on New Years Eve, two weekends of Allentown (Lewiston Art Festival is better, IMHO) and uh, a couple of other days in the year. I'm from the NYC area, so by comparison, this is nada and I loathe sports. The only thing that's ever kept me here are the people and proximity to Toronto. Oh and BTW, you do recall this past New Year's Eve was nearly cancelled because they lacked enough money for the fireworks. A last minute reprieve saved them, but the economics aren't improving here.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:08 PM

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwebm View Post
Ok, nothing, except on New Years Eve, two weekends of Allentown (Lewiston Art Festival is better, IMHO) and uh, a couple of other days in the year. I'm from the NYC area, so by comparison, this is nada and I loathe sports. The only thing that's ever kept me here are the people and proximity to Toronto. Oh and BTW, you do recall this past New Year's Eve was nearly cancelled because they lacked enough money for the fireworks. A last minute reprieve saved them, but the economics aren't improving here.
Must suck to be so down on where you live. If I felt that way I would move! Oh wait a minute I did move, to WNY from Virginia for a better job, lower cost of living and more cultural opportunities. I find the overall lifestyle way better here.

Personally I could never live in NYC the people there are way too provincial for my tastes. Many of them don't even know how to drive or have ever traveled outside of NY City.

[SIZE=3]pro·vin·cial[/SIZE] (pr-vnshl)
adj. 1. Of or relating to a province.
2. Of or characteristic of people from the provinces;
3. Limited in perspective; narrow and self-centered.

At one time it was the rural people that were considered provincial but in this day of mass communication and jet travel it is quite often the City dwellers particularly those of NY City that exhibit the true characteristics of being provincial. Their little world often consists of a mere 3 mile walking radius of where they live. In my job I frequently deal with people from around the entire country. It has been my experience that the native NY'ers are the most provincial while those on the West coast are the most worldly. I would put WNY'er somewhere in the middle of the pack much more aware of multi national views than the NY City cousins. This is probably due to being exposed to a much more diverse outlook on the worl by being a border city and receiveing TV and Radio signals from another country. This has been my experience since moving to WNY a few years ago.

Below: Downtown Buffalo - any weekend

Below: Buffalo any weekend

Buffalo - any weekend

Last edited by donbuy; 04-14-2010 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Glad it works for you. The first and last photos there do actually reflect the culture of this city, beer,bars,etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area