Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Yeah, I was looking at rentals on Craigslist and was shocked to see how expensive Vermont rentals are. I can't speak much for most of those other cities you listed, but Philly, at least as of about 5 years ago, was relatively inexpensive for a city of its size. Granted, Philly was also (might still be?) one of the most dangerous cities in the country with a skyrocketing murder rate.

As for Boston, the prices are simply ridiculous. I have several friends up there and their apartments are either pretty small or pretty run down, if not both. And these are friends who have well-paying jobs.

I was expecting Providence and Burlington to be closer in rental costs, but that's just not the case. Providence is about $200-300 less on average, though many of the apartments in Providence are dumps in neighborhoods that I would never consider living in.
I lived in the Boston area (not Boston, but Cambridge and Somerville) for 3 years. Those cities are much more affordable than Burlington.
I rented a very nice 1 bed in a nice neighborhood for less than $900 a month. Heat was paid for. Water was paid for. Clean, new apartment.
Try finding that in Burlington.
My wages in Boston were about $3 or $4 an hour more than what a similar job pays in Burlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandLinda View Post
THANK YOU!

This was really helpful in one post sums up what I keep reading and thinking about Burlington. Nice place to move if you have a trust fund.
We are re-considering moving there and really appreciate this forum.
No commentary about those with a trust fund, we just don't have one.
You hit the nail right on the head.
But, mentioning that fact will get you in trouble on this site.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I lived in the Boston area (not Boston, but Cambridge and Somerville) for 3 years. Those cities are much more affordable than Burlington.
I rented a very nice 1 bed in a nice neighborhood for less than $900 a month. Heat was paid for. Water was paid for. Clean, new apartment.
Try finding that in Burlington.
My wages in Boston were about $3 or $4 an hour more than what a similar job pays in Burlington.
I will agree with you on wages, but please show me a listing for a "clean, new" 1br in a "nice neighborhood" in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, or Brookline for $900/mo that includes heat. As for water... it's illegal to rent an apartment without water included.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I will agree with you on wages, but please show me a listing for a "clean, new" 1br in a "nice neighborhood" in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, or Brookline for $900/mo that includes heat. As for water... it's illegal to rent an apartment without water included.
I know I started out paying $850 in Somerville.
I know that it eventually increased to $945, after a couple of years.

I had a friend who lived in Brighton that paid about $500 for a room, same deal, heat and water included, and his place was nicer than any Burlington apartment I've been in. Cheaper too.

I'm not going to find a listing because you obviously have an internet connection and can do it yourself.

In the end, as long as the politicians bring in the refugees to keep the teachers happy and don't allow new housing to be built, the rental market in Burlington will only get worse.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I know I started out paying $850 in Somerville.
I know that it eventually increased to $945, after a couple of years.

I had a friend who lived in Brighton that paid about $500 for a room, same deal, heat and water included, and his place was nicer than any Burlington apartment I've been in. Cheaper too.

I'm not going to find a listing because you obviously have an internet connection and can do it yourself.

In the end, as long as the politicians bring in the refugees to keep the teachers happy and don't allow new housing to be built, the rental market in Burlington will only get worse.
Only stuff on Craigslist is $500+ for a room in a shared apartment (and the $500 is a 5br place). It jumps to about $800 for a room in a 2br. Tell me again... how is Boston cheaper than Burlington?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
The research is easy enough to do. The only thing I will say is that the cost of living in the two cities has to be similar in my case for one big reason. I work at FAHC in Burlington. When the hospital does a market adjustment or a raise in pay, it is primarily based on Boston earnings. It is not based on another lacation in Vermont or similar sized cities like Portland or even cities closer to Burlington. The important fact to look at is x and y may cost more in Boston, but the incomes are high enough to compensate. The arguement about cost of living is a non issue. The data is there from VHFA and several other state departments that show Vermont is one of the most expensive places to live not only in New England, but in the country. Don't look at what x and y cost in Vermont and compare it to your area. You need to look at incomes and costs in each area.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Only stuff on Craigslist is $500+ for a room in a shared apartment (and the $500 is a 5br place). It jumps to about $800 for a room in a 2br. Tell me again... how is Boston cheaper than Burlington?
I think Boston area was being discussed, one specifically said not the city itself.

I rented I guess what you would call a room in Boston, shared a kitchen in a nice old back bay house.

If you get crerative in Boston, you can live in the city. There are some really tiny apartments available in Boston. The condition of apts in Boston is much better.

With Burlington, money isn't the only problem, it's the condition. Even if you are willing to spend $1300-$1400, you may not find one you like.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I think Boston area was being discussed, one specifically said not the city itself.
Yup, and my search included Cambridge, Somerville (which were both specifically mentioned), and Brookline. It's not until you get farther out towards Newton, Watertown, Medford, Malden, etc that rents drop to what I would consider reasonable prices. Wages might be higher, but in my line of work, I couldn't afford a 1BR in that area even on Boston wages, which I easily did in Providence and could probably squeeze by with one in Burlington.

While I'm sure some costs are more in Burlington than in Boston, and it might end up balancing out when you compare wages to cost of living, I'd rather be in Burlington than Boston. It's the one big city I just can't stand being in.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Yup, and my search included Cambridge, Somerville (which were both specifically mentioned), and Brookline. It's not until you get farther out towards Newton, Watertown, Medford, Malden, etc that rents drop to what I would consider reasonable prices. Wages might be higher, but in my line of work, I couldn't afford a 1BR in that area even on Boston wages, which I easily did in Providence and could probably squeeze by with one in Burlington.

While I'm sure some costs are more in Burlington than in Boston, and it might end up balancing out when you compare wages to cost of living, I'd rather be in Burlington than Boston. It's the one big city I just can't stand being in.
Fair enough.
I go the opposite way. I find people in Boston to be far less obnoxious than your average Burlington resident.
Besides, as a 20-something with a bachelor's degree, Boston doesn't require that I limit my ambition to making $12 in a warehouse.

I said that Boston was more affordable because you spend less of your income on housing than you do in Burlington. In Boston and the surrounding areas, you will have far more disposable income than in VT.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:56 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,260 times
It really all depends on who is looking and what their particular circumstances are. You can get far less for your money in Burlington than many (most) areas. If you like to travel around and see the rest of the state, or have to commute, Burlington is a terrible place to live. (ask me how I know this, I work in Montpelier). For some pretty shabby small ranches, the prices are still high. The property taxes just keep rising, for seemingly no benefit.

I've been here for 26 plus years now, and the exit strategy is well in the works. If I had to do this all over again, I would have moved to the Raleigh/Durham.Carey NC area instead. But my priorities are much different than someone in their 20's and 30's. If you have a degree and some good job prospects, maybe this could be a good move for some.

It's far easier to address these questions if people really open up about their "perceptions". People from all over have many perceptions about Burlington, and like anywhere else, many of them are wrong. Traveling again this fall/winter to look for more prospective places. Pompano Beach is up next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT