U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM

22 posts, read 81,498 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I'm currently interviewing for a job in Burlington that is offering $36k annual salary. Can I afford living in Burlington with that?

I ideally would like to live in a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in downtown Burlington, as I would like to live in a more "urban" area with restaurants, groceries, and bars within walking distance. My preliminary search on Craigslist shows I'd be paying between $700-900 for that. While I'm used to paying that amount in Queens sharing a 2-bedroom, my expectation moving to Burlington is that I would be able to get away with a 1-bedroom/studio for less (perhaps living in Ohio prior to NYC is biasing my decision).

While the salary offer is significantly lower than what I had been making previously, this job would be a great way for me to get experience in the industry that I'd like to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,134,990 times
I'm not an expert on Burlington like others on this board, but I can guess what they are going to say...it's going to be very hard. Some of it really depends on you - single? Family? Kids? Any major debt? What's your monthly expenses? Burlington is a lot closer to NYC cost of living than Ohio...

Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 AM

400 posts, read 703,942 times
I'm afraid your expectation is incorrect. And you may be surprised at the poor condition of the apartments on the lower price range. If you go outside of Burlington walking distance you can probably get some in better condition although I'm not sure if you'd save much money.

The trouble with the type of apartment you're looking for is there a few, housing is expensive in general here and you have to compete with college kids who will put up with terrible quality housing.

I'm not saying there aren't any decent places in that price range...but there will be few and there will be competition for them.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 AM

22 posts, read 81,498 times
tkln - It probably would help out if I gave some background about myself .
So, I'm mid-20's, single, no debt. Food and drink make up about 60-70% of what I spend, but I think that's a product of me liking to "go out" in NYC.

Oh, I also would need to buy a car.. how bad would car insurance be up in Vermont? I was previously under family insurance when I still lived in Ohio, with no accidents on my record and just one speeding ticket.

jimerino - Thanks for resetting my expectations on apartments. Can you clarify specifics on "poor condition"? (rodent/bug infestation, extremely thin walls/subpar construction?) I'm relatively close in age to the "college kid" crowd, so I might have a higher tolerance for lower quality housing.. but now I know to not set my expectations too high. I'm guessing it would probably be best to check out apartments if I get called back for an in-person interview.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,134,990 times
I can tell you that car insurance is a lot cheaper in VT than NYC...that's a fact.

I live in Queens now, and we have a condo in VT...we are hoping to move up there soon, but we're older and have more expenses than you...being single with no debt certainly helps but I think you will definitely want to check out the housing situation up there before you decide anything. Also keep in mind that utility costs can be $$$ - winter is long!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM

400 posts, read 703,942 times
Yeah, car insurance is cheap here.

The housing stock is old and many landlords don't really repair or clean or paint...because frankly they can get away with it due to demand outstripping supply. Old housing is also often drafty and more expensive to heat. In Burlington, some apartments lack off street parking which is a problem particularly during the winter when they also ban you from parking on the street during a snow storm. I'm not sure how common the lack of parking is since its been awhile since I've apartment shopped...but its something to be aware of.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:15 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,596,990 times
I almost never say no to these questions

My educated guess is no.

Forget comparing Burlington to the midwest. Burlington is very expensive, it's basically like living in Metro NY and it has one of the tightest apartment markets in the country. Many of the apartments downtown are rented by University of Vermont students and paid for by their wealthy parents. Out of state tuition at UVM is the most expensive public tuition in the country so the students come from wealthy family. College kids don't mind living in slightly dumpy apartments and the landlords don't take care of the buildings since the apartments pretty much rent themselves.

Then like all cities, there are the dumpy apartments for lower class locals, including a lot of low income units.

It's really hard to find something decent at any price. You should come up here and look around.

If you really skimp, maybe, but $36k in walking distance of downtown Burlington, I highly doubt it. Highly.

In Vermont, and especially Burlington, you are paying for that intangible
hippie, artsy, green living etc. vibe. Vermont is the dream of many folks and it's worth it to a lot of people. If that's not why you are coming here, and instead coming for just job experience in your industry, you may very well think Burlington is one of the biggest rip-off places anywhere.

Come up for a weekend and check out a few apartments

Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,991,924 times
You'll be able to get by but things will be tight. Expect to pay over $1,000 for an apartment unless you want a bunch of roommates.

Also, you will need a car. Vermont doesn't have much of a public transportation system. So, unless you want to spend all of your time in Burlington you'll at least have to buy an old junker.

Definately come up and check it out before you decide to accept a job and make the move.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,868,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpottymouth View Post
Hello-

I'm currently interviewing for a job in Burlington that is offering $36k annual salary. Can I afford living in Burlington with that?
I could but whether you could I have no clue. I personally think you could find a small place downtown for less than $1000 but it won't be very fancy.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 13,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I almost never say no to these questions

My educated guess is no.

Forget comparing Burlington to the midwest. Burlington is very expensive, it's basically like living in Metro NY and it has one of the tightest apartment markets in the country. Many of the apartments downtown are rented by University of Vermont students and paid for by their wealthy parents. Out of state tuition at UVM is the most expensive public tuition in the country so the students come from wealthy family. College kids don't mind living in slightly dumpy apartments and the landlords don't take care of the buildings since the apartments pretty much rent themselves.

Then like all cities, there are the dumpy apartments for lower class locals, including a lot of low income units.

It's really hard to find something decent at any price. You should come up here and look around.

If you really skimp, maybe, but $36k in walking distance of downtown Burlington, I highly doubt it. Highly.

In Vermont, and especially Burlington, you are paying for that intangible
hippie, artsy, green living etc. vibe. Vermont is the dream of many folks and it's worth it to a lot of people. If that's not why you are coming here, and instead coming for just job experience in your industry, you may very well think Burlington is one of the biggest rip-off places anywhere.

Come up for a weekend and check out a few apartments

He said it all. 36k a year working in Burlington living out in the country would be easy living other then your commute. Living in Burlington I would want 60k+ a year Rent is high everything else is higher there as well.

In VT cars are not an option you need them. So buy a car Registration is like 40-80 + sales tax nothing like NY insurance isn't bad. So cars are not the major expense that they are in NY or FL So get a car find a place 20-40 minutes out of Burlington and enjoy the drive and scenery while sipping your morning coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or