Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've been considering a move from Long Island, NY to the Burlington area for a couple of years now. I am now single and just turned 29 and very ready to move on.

I have had a love affair going with VT for a long time. Whenever I visit I feel like I'm home. And at this point in my life I don't really have anything holding me back from heading north.

The one thing that I really need some advisement on is whether this is going to be a smart move for my dating life. When I visit Burlington I am usually surrounded by very young college age men. Where are all the single men in their 30's? Are most men married with children in the area at this point?

I could easily follow the same path as the majority of my friends and head to NYC, but I genuinely don't like the New York attitude or set of priorities. I have always been an anomaly around here and I would like to be somewhere I feel that I belong, as long as there is a realistic possibility for dating.

Thanks for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
I am not going to say everyone in thier 30's is already married with children, but having most of my friends and co-workers in that age group, greater than 90% are married at this point. Burlington is tough town to read. There are young people everywhere, but the majority of them are students. During the summer is when you notice how older Burlington seems to be. Vermont and Maine have the oldest poulations in the country. Younger people head out of state for jobs, school and opportunity. Once they settle down with family and kids, some migrate back. I think you should be fine, but know it can be tough for single people compared to many other regions.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 PM

82 posts, read 229,530 times
I'm in my late 30s, but apparently easily pass for much younger (thanks to blessed genetics and as evident by the relentless carding I get for wine and rated R movies) and have found most men in my age group are either married (like my doctor) or have some kids, but aren't married (like my mail carrier) or not equally yoked in terms of lifestyle and goals (like the guy who constantly hits on me when I gas up or get my morning coffee). Each one of these dudes is awesome, but none of them is what I would deem an appropriate romantic partner.

If you're moving to VT with the express purpose of finding a romantic partner you will probably find yourself quickly packing up and relocating. My friends and I joke that most of us have had to 'outsource' from other states in the romantic department. My partner is a professional in the Western NY area and we split our time between VT and that area. Most of my friends have similar stories, though eventually they opt to relocate (which I also plan on doing) to be with their partners.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
tough question because if you say go to NYC and find a husband, you might have a hard time ever getting to vermont. the college vibe feel is why i dont like the idea of living in burlington (never actually been there).

however if you just go there and be yourself maybe something will happen... I dont know but maybe you are better off being happy and in VT than unhappy in NYC.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaN View Post
Hello. I've been considering a move from Long Island, NY to the Burlington area for a couple of years now. I am now single and just turned 29 and very ready to move on.

I have had a love affair going with VT for a long time. Whenever I visit I feel like I'm home. And at this point in my life I don't really have anything holding me back from heading north.

The one thing that I really need some advisement on is whether this is going to be a smart move for my dating life. When I visit Burlington I am usually surrounded by very young college age men. Where are all the single men in their 30's? Are most men married with children in the area at this point?

I could easily follow the same path as the majority of my friends and head to NYC, but I genuinely don't like the New York attitude or set of priorities. I have always been an anomaly around here and I would like to be somewhere I feel that I belong, as long as there is a realistic possibility for dating.

Thanks for any insights.
You're not going to find many, for two reasons.
1) There aren't many decent jobs here so most people leave.
2) Burlington is unaffordable for a single person. Most 30-somethings know that if they move, they can find affordable housing for themselves and not resort to random Craigslist roommates, so they go somewhere they can afford to be single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: