Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times

Advertisements

Sean Pecor doesn't check in much anymore (at least not on this forum, check the VA forums), but he is a VT transplant and moved to Virginia and loves it...if you do a search you will see lots of his posts comparing VT to VA. I did some research into his neck of the woods and also into the Charlottesville area. The areas are beautiful, but in the end, I crossed it off the list because I love snow and winter, and VA just didn't have enough of either for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 AM

46 posts, read 205,894 times
Charlottesville is a nice town and in a beautiful area, but for me Virginia is too conservative. If you are into bibles, Bush and guns Virginia is good, but if you want to live in a "blue" mentality rural Virginia isnt one. But, I havent lived there and maybe bibles, Bush and guns are what you want. On the other hand, Charlottesville (and Albemarle county) is a blue island in a red sea. Vermont is pretty "gunny" anyway, but not so "bibley" and no state in New England is Bushy.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:37 PM

74 posts, read 348,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Sean Pecor doesn't check in much anymore (at least not on this forum, check the VA forums), but he is a VT transplant and moved to Virginia and loves it...if you do a search you will see lots of his posts comparing VT to VA. I did some research into his neck of the woods and also into the Charlottesville area. The areas are beautiful, but in the end, I crossed it off the list because I love snow and winter, and VA just didn't have enough of either for me.
I began searching parts of VA myself, and doesn't seem to have as much as what I'm looking for as I had expected (and maybe hoped a bit). I want the four seasons, and lean much more to colder than hot (i.e., prefer very cold winters vs. mild winters but HOT summers, esp. if that hot is hot and humid - my least favorite). I am convinced that "one person's heaven can be another's hell," or however that exact quote goes. Can I ask you, do you live near Burlington, and if so, how do you find the winters. I am also curious about your thoughts on the "greyness" that people have said lasts the entire winter and even at other times of the year. That still worries me...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,086 times
Hey G&P
I was pleased to see your question and following dialog as I too am trying to decide between those two cities. I keep going back and forth between the two. I have visited both and liked them very much. I don't have the kid factor which is a big one but the outdoors/hiking/etc and seasons (coming from FL) are drawing my attention as well as liberal culture. So, thanks for your question...it helped me as well....

Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlandpup View Post
I began searching parts of VA myself, and doesn't seem to have as much as what I'm looking for as I had expected (and maybe hoped a bit). I want the four seasons, and lean much more to colder than hot (i.e., prefer very cold winters vs. mild winters but HOT summers, esp. if that hot is hot and humid - my least favorite). I am convinced that "one person's heaven can be another's hell," or however that exact quote goes. Can I ask you, do you live near Burlington, and if so, how do you find the winters. I am also curious about your thoughts on the "greyness" that people have said lasts the entire winter and even at other times of the year. That still worries me...
Ha ha - I am actually your neighbor - I live in Northeastern Queens. We have a small condo in Stowe, but aren't up there for more than a week at a time, so I can't tell you too much about the long grey winters. What I will say, is that whenever we are up there in the winter, we keep ourselves busy by being outdoors and enjoying the snow...and then enjoying the hot cocoa inside. I have also found that because of the snow, it doesn't feel nearly as grey - you know how depressing NYC can be when it's grey all over?? Up in VT, the sky may be grey in winter, but the ground is white!! Plus I'm a huge fan of the changing seasons - to me, winter is the best when it's cold and dark and snowy...and honestly, spring is that much sweeter when you've had a long winter.

Also, I will chime in and say that between snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, you can definitely keep yourself active in the winter...snowshoeing is easy and fun and I'm sure you will enjoy it just as much as hiking.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 AM

74 posts, read 348,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugala View Post
Hey G&P
I was pleased to see your question and following dialog as I too am trying to decide between those two cities. I keep going back and forth between the two. I have visited both and liked them very much. I don't have the kid factor which is a big one but the outdoors/hiking/etc and seasons (coming from FL) are drawing my attention as well as liberal culture. So, thanks for your question...it helped me as well....
I'm glad. I don't have the "kid factor" either, but as you know, I have the "dog factor." Now if only we can decide where to live!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 AM

113 posts, read 341,988 times
If nobodys told you yet...

Portland has longer autums and delayed springs.

Burlington will warm up faster in the mud season ...but Portlands fall more then makes up for that in my opinion.

A couple of years ago Portland got over 100 inches of snow in a season. In 1988 Casco bay froze over for a short time.

In southern Maine , not every winter is a harsh one. Burlington is on ave. colder then Portland. Both places are a very good choice I say.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 AM

113 posts, read 341,988 times
One more thing...Portland has more sunny days anytime of year then does Burlington.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Was just downtown on Church Street yesterday and noticed that many of the shops are "dog friendly". They post a dog bone cut-out by the door that says "dog friendly establishment".

Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM

46 posts, read 205,894 times
Nice article about Burlington....

Burlington, Vermont: Greener Pastures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT