U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 11,250 times
Default Burlington, Vt vs. Coeur D'Alene, ID

Currently living on Long Island. I went to college in Vermont back in the 90's. The college I went to was in the in the middle of the green mountains but my summers and for 4 years after I graduated I lived in Burlington, Vt. My wife and I want to get off Long Island ( the list of reasons is very long) the only thing keeping us here right now is that we both make around $100k a year (wife is a nurse practitioner and I'm a sales/marketing exec) and we know we wouldn't be making the same salaries in the places we are looking at, but have saved alot through the years and are willing to bite the bullet.

We were considering moving back to the Burlington area, but my wife and I are a little right leaning and Burlington is a little too liberal for our taste nowadays. She did some research and had come up with Coeur D'Alene as an alternative. Climates are close enough, as are outdoor activities, demographics, job market but it seems taxes and utilies are less in Coeur D'Alene and they have less college educated citizens.

Seems that Burlington has more of a downtown area with Church St but i hear that Coeur D'Alene might be revamping McEwan Park so that might improve the downtown area a little.

We are huge dog lovers. In the county we live in now (Nassau), it is not exactly a dog friendly county. There are limited dog parks and almost every park in the county doesn't allow dogs. Its so bad that we have to go into the city (NYC) to bring our dogs with us to the park. Now Burlington is a very dog friendly town and that is part of what makes it appealing.

How dog friendly is Coeur D'Alene?

We have been to Coeur D'Alene this past year and are going again at the end of the summer. It seems like a nice town, but looks can sometimes be deceiving.

I know this a pretty broad question, but can anyone compare Burlington to Coeur D'Alene?

Am I wrong with my current initial assessment of the 2 towns?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM

984 posts, read 1,185,001 times
While I realize you said that Burlington might be a little too liberal, I have a friend who lives in Boise, ID. ID has more Mormons that Utah, and they rule the state almost as a theocracy (at least according to my friend). Just thought I'd throw that out there. She can't wait until she can get out of Idaho. So it probably depends on how far to the right you lean.

You might want to ask this question in the Idaho forum too, if you haven't already.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,625,507 times
Burlington itself is very liberal but if you live outside of Burlington I think you'll find a more fix of people...the majority lean left but consider themselves "moderates". The most conservative area of Vermont is the Northeast Kingdom. Franklin County is commutable to the Burlington area and is a tad more conservative* as well.
*many say that conservatives in Vermont are actually liberal

Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

13,624 posts, read 8,780,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
ID has more Mormons that Utah, and they rule the state almost as a theocracy (at least according to my friend).
If you got your information on the number of Mormons in Idaho versus the number of Mormons in Utah from your friend, you need to start using a difference source. Mormons in Utah comprise about 68% of the population. Mormons in Idaho comprise about 27% of the population. I wouldn't trust your friend's information on how this 27% "rules the state almost as a theocracy" either. Idaho may be very conservative, but let's not exaggerate, especially when your "facts" can so easily be proven wrong.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 AM

21 posts, read 22,022 times
Burlington proper is very liberal but the "suburbs" are a little more conservative. There is even a section of Burlington (New North End) that votes and acts more conservative than the rest of the city...and it's got a great dog park. I wouldn't eliminate Burlington and Chittenden county if you are "right leaning"....maybe I would if you are far to the right and outwardly vocal in your views.

I haven't been to Couer D'Alene but it seems alot more isolated then Burlington and more of a tourist town than a place to relocate and work.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you got your information on the number of Mormons in Idaho versus the number of Mormons in Utah from your friend, you need to start using a difference source. Mormons in Utah comprise about 68% of the population. Mormons in Idaho comprise about 27% of the population. I wouldn't trust your friend's information on how this 27% "rules the state almost as a theocracy" either. Idaho may be very conservative, but let's not exaggerate, especially when your "facts" can so easily be proven wrong.
Let's just say that ID has more of a Mormon feel and "rule" to it than UT then. I've got friends in UT as well.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM

13,624 posts, read 8,780,137 times
Quote:
Let's just say that ID has more of a Mormon feel and "rule" to it than UT then. I've got friends in UT as well.
I would agree that certain small towns in Idaho have a very Mormon "feel" to them, while Salt Lake City is considerably more diverse, not only in terms of religion, but ethnically and politically as well. Still, I'd be interested in knowing how 27% of the population could "rule" over the other 73% in a democratic society. Going into certain parts of Utah, on the other hand -- Utah County specifically -- well, let's just say that it doesn't get any more Mormon than that.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would agree that certain small towns in Idaho have a very Mormon "feel" to them, while Salt Lake City is considerably more diverse, not only in terms of religion, but ethnically and politically as well. Still, I'd be interested in knowing how 27% of the population could "rule" over the other 73% in a democratic society. Going into certain parts of Utah, on the other hand -- Utah County specifically -- well, let's just say that it doesn't get any more Mormon than that.
That's not a question for me, but for my friend, it's probably because the vast majority of that other 73% leans pretty far to the right.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM

123 posts, read 110,234 times
Like others have said the 'burbs of Burlington are far from liberal in my experience. Essex Junction is total Dubie town but lovely neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 PM

718 posts, read 1,121,112 times
Quote:
While I realize you said that Burlington might be a little too liberal, I have a friend who lives in Boise, ID. ID has more Mormons that Utah, and they rule the state almost as a theocracy (at least according to my friend). Just thought I'd throw that out there. She can't wait until she can get out of Idaho. So it probably depends on how far to the right you lean.

You might want to ask this question in the Idaho forum too, if you haven't already.
Quote:
Simply not true. There are small towns in Idaho that have a large Mormon following, but they are in the area of Idaho near Utah, along I-15. The rest of Idaho including Boise, the Mormon faith is more of a minority, there are several towns in Idaho that don't have a Mormon Church. Your friend is exaggerating, and no where in Idaho has more of a Mormon "rule" or feel than Utah, I can guarantee you that. There are no Mormon's on Boise's city council, and the state legislature has diversity in religion, so your friend must just hate Mormons and lies about the numbers to prove a bitter point. Areas of Idaho are known to have an anti Mormon stance. Sorry, but your statement is just too funny, no way does Idaho have more LDS than Utah or a more LDS/Mormon feel

Coeur d'Alene is mainly Catholic, a very beautiful area on one of the most beautiful alpine lakes in the USA. It is a good mix of tourism and real everyday city and growing fast, and close to Spokane a larger city. CD'A is attracting a lot of growth and relocating companies, so I would imagine it is more progressive than Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT