Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,287 times

Advertisements

Hi-
I'm considering moving from Portsmouth, NH to the South Burlington VT to work for a non-profit company-a long-term goal I've been in search of for a very long time. I've been reading the various posts and am so overwhelmed by all the varying opinions-is it worth it to work for a GREAT company that gives me true meaning and purpose and leave behind my comfort level of always having lived in the "Seacoast"-an area that is getting too noisy, too congested, and too impersonal for my tastes...any thoughts are appreciated!! I don't mind the long winters but I do currently live in a home where I've never had to lock my doors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,241,371 times
I'm a firm believer in being happy with your career. It sounds like you've already made up your mind, so go for it!
South Burlington is a nice suburban community. Lots of parks. 5 minutes from Burlington. Easy access to the interstate. Great skiing nearby. Montreal 1.5 hours away.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,847,575 times
The seacoast area of NH is too congested. Only you yourself can decide what is right, but if one can get good stable employment here in Vt I think the move would be worthwhile. I miss the beach myself, however, despite having lived in NH for seven years I never found the coast there too attractive. I do miss the beaches down in LI like Robert Moses and Jones Beach as they were really beaches, not noisy overcrowded communities, but I would never move back to NY just for the beach. Remember, sometimes visiting somewhere like the beach can be better than actually living there. Good luck with whatever track you follow.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM

Exactly!! Congested is the operative word...I feel as though no matter where I go (either via walking, driving, biking, etc.) I'm jammed packed into confined, noisy, chaotic spaces of varying levels. I have a great job now, but am missing the "value/meaning" that I know working for a company whose core purpose/services is one that happens to be the same as my #1 beloved hobby-how much more of a sign is that?? I may be premature at this point, as I haven't even interviewed with the company, but they are waiting for me to send them my info. I do love the seacoast beaches but usually don't even go in the summer DUE to the congestion factor! You are so right.
Thank you for your words of wisdom, they are appreciated.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM

Thanks Vter! I've almost made up my mind...just trying to make a sound, educated decision...I've always played it safe with jobs and have been in search of the one that gives me "true meaning/purpose"-this could be it. Worse case, if it didn't work out, I can always come back to this area-that's the beauty of being in charge of my own destiny. I'm just a tad concerned with some people's comments regarding high taxes for homeowners (something I'd pursue once I was settled for awhile) and the disparity between NH and Vermont salaries...but I won't know until I at least interview (if I get the opportunity, which I hope I do).
Thanks for your helpful advise

Old 08-07-2007, 10:10 AM

226 posts, read 692,173 times
Expand your search. I would look into Burlington proper, Winooski, and some areas of Colchester as well as S Burlington. If not, be mindful of where in S. Burlington you're moving - it has a few attractions, but some of it is suburban hell. However, if suburbia with a cool, funky town nearby is what you seek, you'll love it.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the helpful tips! I will definitely look into surrounding areas-I don't mind a short commute. I have heard good and bad things as you will have with all areas no matter where you live!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:18 PM

29 posts, read 133,614 times
I was born and raised in Portsmouth, NH. I've lived away from there as an adult, returned, and moved again. I love Portsmouth and its attractions. However, I was surprised by one thing mcoop0307 said - you never lock your doors in Portsmouth? I was born in the 1950s, and we always - I repeat, always - locked our doors. I lived in an apartment complex in Portsmouth in the 1990s, and we always locked our doors. If I lived there today, I would lock my doors - this goes for the house or apartment as well as the car. I can't imagine not locking my doors anywhere in Portsmouth. Just my opinion. I hope you found the information you needed to make your decision.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,847,575 times
You pretty much really need to lock your doors almost anywhere now. Even here in lovely bucolic Vermont there are thugs who are opportunists and an unlocked door, especially at night is IMO an unnecessary risk and invitation. For those who remember the two Dartmouth professors that were murdered some years back in NH, the perps had originally targeted a home in VT, but the occupant while answering the door was in possession of a handgun which forced them to select another mark. The scary thing is that the two perps had scoped this house out and made plans on where to dispose of the victim in the adjacent woods. I live somewhat off the beaten path on a rural road and twice in three years I have had creeps drive up casing the house. On a third occasion I discovered the outside phone junction box had been tampered with as well, though no forced entry was gained. Both other times I was home, but the cars were gone giving the impression nobody was here. When these guys saw me open the garage door they really beat feet out of here, hence, they were not lost seeking directions, they were not selling encyclopedias, etc. Despite calling the police with a description nothing panned out. Heck, the cops did not even ask which direction of travel they took leaving my driveway, so it was pretty apparent that such calls are not a priority, or the poor guy missed the day in class at the academy where necessary facts for reports and incidents are gone over. Anyway, not really meaning to scare anyone, but common sense and caution can go a long way to ensure your safety.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Default Thanks for your advise on locking doors!

Thank you both for your words of wisdom about locking the doors. I have been naive all these years as I've never had anything happen to me but as flu189 mentioned, common sense and caution are important to always use and swear by. I do now lock all my doors & windows while still being aware of my surroundings and those near me at all times. I know it only takes 1 instance and possible severe harm to learn your lesson and I would prefer not to be careless with my trust of all of mankind. I'm not afraid to ask friends to walk me home or if I feel as though something is wrong when coming home to my house (which luckily, I've only encountered a broken window from a broken branch from a tree) I feel as if I have great intuition and listen "to my gut" if I get that wierd feeling.

I appreciate hearing about both flu's and ahomeforus's perspective and real life occurrence (that must have been very undaunting and scary for you and it doesn't surprise me to hear of the cops' disregard for details)-we definitely don't live in the 1950's anymore....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT