U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 30,283 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Vermont from the West coast and will not be able to visit before moving. We are in talks with 2 apartment complexes: Keen's Crossing and Farm Stand Apartments (Shelburne Bay area). Keen's seems a little expensive and older than Farm Stand (based on pictures sent to us by both complexes) but we like the sound of the culture and variety of things to do in Winooski Falls. Shelburne doesnt seem to have much to offer in terms of restaurants, nightlife, parks, etc. However, from what I've read everything surrounding Winooski Falls is a little...rundown/ghetto. Is this true?

Pros? Cons? Which do you recommend? We are a late 20's couple with an active lifestyle. My husband will be working at the Burlington airport. We will have 1 car so parking/public transport/location to groceries/bicycling is also important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,781,590 times
The Farm Stand is actually in South Burlington on Allen Road. It "overlooks" Shelburne Bay - I put overlooks in quotes because you can't see the water from the complex but up the road you can.
Farm Stand condos are new and are in a suburban housing development. You can't really walk anywhere exciting except maybe the mini-mart at the corner on Shelburne Road. If you want to see an aerial of the area put in Allen Road South Burlington into Google Earth or Google Maps.
Keen's Crossing are condos/apartments in a very recently renovated mill. Right in downtown Winooski. Walk to shops/restaurants etc.
Both would be easy commutes to the airport.
I don't find Winooski Falls run down. It's gone under a huge redevelopment recently so lots of new buildings.
From the sounds of it you'd be happier in Winooski.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM

130 posts, read 238,035 times
I would pick Winooski over Shelburne too. More to walk to, closer to town, and easier commute to the airport. Is there any way you can stay somewhere briefly before committing? I would not want to live in a place that I haven't seen...

Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,064,509 times
Keen's Crossing is a newer building. It was built during the redevelopment. The older mills are just across the street, the Champlain Mill and about a block away the Woolen Mill (across the river is the Chace Mill). I can not comment on the Farm Stand. I know little about that complex. I have a friend that lived in Keen's Crossing. It is a very expensive complex and you get nickle and dimed for everything extra. You get charged extra for parking and there is an extra monthly charge per pet. Also part of the deal with the development of the complex was that it also has a large number of Low Income Tax Credit apartments. They are required by law to rent to people who are low income. The Fair Housing Act does not allow a landlord to discriminate against somebody based on a lot of things including the source of their income which includes section 8. This is an issue for some people and not for many others. There can be great low income people and wealthy jerks.
Winooski is small and once you get about a block away from the redevelopment area, it goes downhill quick (especially heading towards Malletts Bay Ave). The area can't be beat for convenience to downtown Burlington and some of the best restaurants in the area (including Burlington) are in the round about. Sneakers has the best breakfasts hands down and Tiny Thai has the best Thai food in the state (and it's dirt cheap). Asian Bistro across the street gets good reviews as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 PM

15 posts, read 37,773 times
I too would pick Winooski over Shelburne / South Burlington, but the real question is what you are looking for. South Burlington has many condo and apartment developments that are decent, as long as you don't mind driving everywhere you go. Don't get me wrong, everything is close, but not a walkable community.

Winooski gets a bad rap from some people, but I lived there and felt perfectly safe at all times. It just happens to have more low income and refugee / minority populations. Where the apartments are located you could easily skip these neighborhoods if you wanted to. As other posters said there are some good restaurants right there, winooski beverage has one of the best micro brew selections in the state, and the farmers market is up and coming. You could bike or walk up riverside ave to blue bird tavern, sugarsnap, and some places burlington types dont care as much about like dunkin donuts. The park there is nice walking along the river / falls and there are biking / running trails all along the intervale (community gardens and farms on the river), pick your own berries, etc. Basically I am convincing myself hands down, go for winooski.

One thing to be aware of is that Keen's crossing has a big student population, but I have never heard of noise or overall problems related to that.

Either place you will probably move at the end of the year anyway. You will get to know the area and most people rent in nice old houses converted to apartments through craigs list. But that is too hard site unseen.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,858 times
I live in a condo building across the street from Keen's Crossing. It was developed by HallKeen - we have been happy with that relationship, but have little knowledge of how it is to live in Keen's Crossing - we know one resident, no complaints. Keen's Crossing is relatively new (Google Earth doesn't have it yet, but Street View will) - built in the last decade, I believe. Location is great for our purposes. Several ways to the airport - 3 mi, shortest - I have walked. The rt 2/rt 15 roundabout gets congested during rush hour, but I suspect your route to Shelburne Bay might, also - that is a guess. Winooski, in addition to the eating places mentioned (and I endorse), is walking distance to UVM, Fletcher Allen hospital, St Michael's college. Downtown Burlington is a couple miles - we walk there regularly, but we are retired and have the time. City library is in the converted Champlain Mill building next to us, a half block kitty corner for Keen's Crossing. PO and City Hall are on/just off the roundabout, a long block and a half from Keen's Crossing.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,781,590 times
My bad-I thought Keen's Crossing was in one of the renovated mills for some reason! I still think Winooski is what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT