Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times

Advertisements

Hello VT Friends! My husband is starting a fellowship at the University of VT in December. We probably can't sell here in Iowa then so we will come when we sell towards the end of the school year. The cost of living is much lower in Iowa but I need to get my kids into a good school. Can you suggest some areas that I should look at - that have cheaper homes but still good schools?

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaskie View Post
that have cheaper homes but still good schools?
and there is the rub I'm afraid

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM

17 posts, read 27,930 times
Ok....Not sure what price range you are in. Maybe you could tell us your housing budget? How far are you willing to commute? I would consider Shelburne, Charlotte, Williston, and South Burlington very good school districts, but they can also be very costly to live there. Williston has all the amenities, and a bit ( ok it is the definition of) sprawl, but I think there can be good deals to be had and lots of new builds if that is what you are looking for. Same with South Burlington....Charlotte and SHelburne are a bit more exclusive and in beautiful settings. All towns would be great places to raise a family. If you are willing to lengthen the commute, you could find more affordable housing, and a good school district.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
As mentioned, your housing budget will dictate location. Keep in mind, the closer you are to Burlington, the more expensive (typically) housing, etc will be. Another option could be Colchester (depending on the location in town, it's a short commute to Burlington. 5-20 min). Some home prices are very affordable for Chittenden County and the schools are good.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM

400 posts, read 849,726 times
I believe Georgia, VT has school choice which if nothing else will give you some flexibility after purchase. Essex high school is one of the options...I think Fairfax and St Albanes are the others?

Milton is probably the cheapest in Chittenden county, but the schools don't have a great reputation. (not sure if its really deserved)

Essex and South Burlington have good reputations but they seem to have prices to match.

Colchester is suppose to be pretty good I hear, haven't looked at prices there recently but I'd guess its a little cheaper? Its a nice location too.

I wouldn't go with Winooski. I'd stay out of Burlington too, that whole place sounds like its going through a bizarre experiment and you can't even count on going to your local school that might be good as they're starting to bus kids around...probably in an effort to even out test scores.

I'm not sure on Shelburne/Hinesburg/Williston but I believe they have a good rep. Jericho/Underhill is suppose to be good.

Really I think Chittenden county is general has decent schools with the exceptions of Winooski, parts of (effectively all of?) Burlington and maybe Milton? Honestly I think the rep has more to do with the income level of most of the parents who live there than anything (for better or worse that seems to be how it works)

There isn't really anywhere in Chittenden county I'd call a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT