Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM

54 posts, read 166,734 times

Advertisements

Having a Trader Joe's in the area would be a huge asset to a state with terrible grocery stores. I hope the South Burlington City Council doesn't drive them out of town like they did Whole Foods.

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new...30/-/h3ersw/-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,228 times
Trader Joe's would be a huge asset to the area. Between City Rip off and Wealthy Living there are no affordable decent grocery stores with a large organic selection. This is a no-brainer! We put an order in each month with my sister in CT and she ships it up. Way cheaper than what we can get around here.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,262,883 times
I am also excited about the possibility of Trader Joe's. I always stock up on my favorites from there when I go visit family near Boston. Yea...the South Burlington Council has seemed to have taken a "no more growth" attitude and all development needs to go through them as well as the Development Review Board. Should be interesting!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Default Any updates on Trader Joe's

Anyone hear any news?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
i banned my wife from shopping there in NJ. she would drive like 20+ minutes each way to get there to save a few bucks. i don't like how all of their produce is wrapped in cardboard and plastic (like a 3 pack of peppers shrink wrapped) because they don't have scales at the cash register. i heard their beer is good, but i've never tried it.

they do have good prices on non or less perishable items like canned, jarred and dry food like cereal, junk food (surfboard chips are great), pasta, olive oil, etc. if the prices are compared to what we pay here, it's pretty significant. a pound of organic whole wheat pasta is like $2.50 here (VT) and i remember we were paying $0.99 at trader joe's in NJ. it was like 1.50 at whole foods in NJ.

this is a bit off topic i guess.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i banned my wife from shopping there in NJ. she would drive like 20+ minutes each way to get there to save a few bucks. i don't like how all of their produce is wrapped in cardboard and plastic (like a 3 pack of peppers shrink wrapped) because they don't have scales at the cash register. i heard their beer is good, but i've never tried it.

they do have good prices on non or less perishable items like canned, jarred and dry food like cereal, junk food (surfboard chips are great), pasta, olive oil, etc. if the prices are compared to what we pay here, it's pretty significant. a pound of organic whole wheat pasta is like $2.50 here (VT) and i remember we were paying $0.99 at trader joe's in NJ. it was like 1.50 at whole foods in NJ.

this is a bit off topic i guess.
I don't think you are that off topic. I agree about the plastic wrap at an organic store. Many are thinking they are getting healthy organic goods from Healthy Living, Trader Joe's or City Market. The issue is not only the plastic wrap, but the plastic bins they are stored in or even stored and shipped in. DINP, DEHA, DEHP, and several others are known to leach into the foods they are in contact with. We are in the process of trying to eliminate phthalates in our hospital setting because of the know adverse effects.
CONSUMER REPORTS magazine found that phthalates and adipates (another PVC plasticizer) directly migrate from commercial PVC and PVDC plastic wrapping into cheeses. "In the cheeses [Consumer Reports] found:

"...very heavy migration (50 to 160 parts per million) of the adipate plasticizer DEHA into cheeses in deli cling wrap. People who ate several ounces of this cheese every day could get doses nearly as high as those linked to a host of health problems in lab animals.

"...moderate migration (1 to 4 parts per million) of the most common phthalate, DEHP, into some of the shrink-wrapped cheeses and into two waxed cheeses with clear plastic overwrap."

Now I know I'm off topic.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM

I won't buy my produce or meats at TJs when it comes. I prefer to buy those locally at farmers markets or co-ops. What I do like there are the sauces, pastas etc. They also have some good frozen foods. I think it'll be a great addition to the food scene in the Burlington area.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Is was just asking if anyone heard any updates on whether the South Burlington city council was going to approve their building permit or drive them away like they did with Whole Foods?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM

As far as I know it is still before the Development Review Board. After they get their approval they'll have to go before the Council.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
As far as I know it is still before the Development Review Board.

translation - we'll all be long dead before it's built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT