U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,979,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
About ten years ago, just up the road from my farm in Brookfield, a farmer who also ran a porta potty business, was caught spreading human waste on his corn field. No one ever got sick, but the potential was there.
That's gross....but that's an exception IMHO. A guy last year was caught adding corn syrup to maple syrup and selling it as 100% Vermont maple syrup. That isolated incident does not effect my confidence on the syrup I buy.

Labor is a part of the cost but even for a small farm there is equipment costs, fuel and maintainence, property taxes. The ag property tax rate is cheaper but if you have 20 acres it does add up. Many farmers do multiple markets so there is truck costs like gas etc. There is barn repair and maintenance. If there are animals involved like small cheese producers, the feed and vet bills can be big. The list goes on and on.

Next time your at a farmer's market and your looking at produce that someone stated as "comically high priced", simply ask them why their prices are so high. Trust me they get asked that alot and don't mind expaining the economics of a small farm.

I think the only way your going to really understand all the costs of farming is to either work on a farm for awhile or maybe ask a farmer that you and others think are getting excessive profits from their produce. Just typing excessive profits connected with farming made me laugh cause that is such an oxymoron to reality. To compare your small plot costs and your comparison to the costs for that and a farm is total crazytown.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 07-17-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,055,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
That's gross....but that's an exception IMHO. A guy last year was caught adding corn syrup to maple syrup and selling it as 100% Vermont maple syrup. That isolated incident does not effect my confidence on the syrup I buy.

Labor is a part of the cost but even for a small farm there is equipment costs, fuel and maintainence, property taxes. The ag property tax rate is cheaper but if you have 20 acres it does add up. Many farmers do multiple markets so there is truck costs like gas etc. There is barn repair and maintenance. If there are animals involved like small cheese producers, the feed and vet bills can be big. The list goes on and on.

Next time your at a farmer's market and your looking at produce that someone stated as "comically high priced", simply ask them why their prices are so high. Trust me they get asked that alot and don't mind expaining the economics of a small farm.

I think the only way your going to really understand all the costs of farming is to either work on a farm for awhile or maybe ask a farmer that you and others think are getting excessive profits from their produce. Just typing excessive profits connected with farming made me laugh cause that is such an oxymoron to reality. To compare your small plot costs and your comparison to the costs for that and a farm is total crazytown.
I understand there are additional costs that farmers have that I don't, but ALL small scale farmers have the same costs throughout the country. Our climate is a major factor. Our farmers can only grow produce for a few months out of the year. Warmer climates can grow for most of the year and in some cases all year. Profits need to be made in a shorter time period. If this is not the case, then northern farmers need to take lessons from small scale southern farmers, because they are producing cheaper fresh produce.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,328,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I don't think you are that off topic. I agree about the plastic wrap at an organic store. Many are thinking they are getting healthy organic goods from Healthy Living, Trader Joe's or City Market. The issue is not only the plastic wrap, but the plastic bins they are stored in or even stored and shipped in. DINP, DEHA, DEHP, and several others are known to leach into the foods they are in contact with. We are in the process of trying to eliminate phthalates in our hospital setting because of the know adverse effects.
CONSUMER REPORTS magazine found that phthalates and adipates (another PVC plasticizer) directly migrate from commercial PVC and PVDC plastic wrapping into cheeses. "In the cheeses [Consumer Reports] found:

"...very heavy migration (50 to 160 parts per million) of the adipate plasticizer DEHA into cheeses in deli cling wrap. People who ate several ounces of this cheese every day could get doses nearly as high as those linked to a host of health problems in lab animals.

"...moderate migration (1 to 4 parts per million) of the most common phthalate, DEHP, into some of the shrink-wrapped cheeses and into two waxed cheeses with clear plastic overwrap."

Now I know I'm off topic.
Well, maybe b/c Trader Joe's is NOT an organic store. Whatsoever. They have increased their organic items, due to trends and demand...but originally, it was a wholesaler, basically, for alcohol-started in so. cal. They elminated the middle man, and offered great deals.
They expanded to add cheeses [including alot of gourmet items, crackers, biscuits, etc from Europe, b/c the founders were german-i think still based in germany, too] and today, they still offer great deals on cheese of all kinds, from all locales.

However, the produce and meat are a recent addition due to obvious demand, plus it's strategic to keep people at your store for all of their shopping-to compete, basically. They are not a produce market, nor are they really a full service grocery store. They are a niche market, that has continued to expand its offerings-for some people, they provide for all of their shopping needs. For others, you do like the Europeans do-buy your produce one place, your cheese another, etc...

I don't understand why TJ's is so misunderstood as a concept; it's quite common to think it's an organic store-even in so cal, you see ppl referring to it as 'healthy'. It's average in terms of 'healthy', at best. Most of their prepared foods are far from healthy-just better than the large chain grocers.

Last edited by lrmsd; 07-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Well, maybe b/c Trader Joe's is NOT an organic store. Whatsoever. They have increased their organic items, due to trends and demand...but originally, it was a wholesaler, basically, for alcohol-started in so. cal. They elminated the middle man, and offered great deals.
They expanded to add cheeses [including alot of gourmet items, crackers, biscuits, etc from Europe, b/c the founders were german-i think still based in germany, too] and today, they still offer great deals on cheese of all kinds, from all locales.

However, the produce and meat are a recent addition due to obvious demand, plus it's strategic to keep people at your store for all of their shopping-to compete, basically. They are not a produce market, nor are they really a full service grocery store. They are a niche market, that has continued to expand its offerings-for some people, they provide for all of their shopping needs. For others, you do like the Europeans do-buy your produce one place, your cheese another, etc...

I don't understand why TJ's is so misunderstood as a concept; it's quite common to think it's an organic store-even in so cal, you see ppl referring to it as 'healthy'. It's average in terms of 'healthy', at best. Most of their prepared foods are far from healthy-just better than the large chain grocers.
I think there is a need for a TJ's because it is a more affordable option. They happen to have a larger selection of organic goods than a typical grocery store and that is a bonus.
People also need to realize that "organic" does not mean healthy. I can buy organic potato chips, but does that mean they are any better for me than regular produced chips? They are just as bad for you.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM

167 posts, read 191,803 times
I used to think "organic is a brand" but then I tasted organic local veggies and fruits and it taste sooooo much cleaner it's unbelievable!

Soooo is there a Trader Joe in Burlington now?!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:07 AM

Not yet. It should be done in the spring. It will not be in Burlington however, it's the next town over in South Burlington.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,182,421 times
Your South Burlington store will be opening May 16! Hopefully they don't UNDERbuild it the way they did here in Pittsburgh. Our store is so comically congested that many of my friends and I shop elsewhere, despite wishing we could shop there.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Your South Burlington store will be opening May 16! Hopefully they don't UNDERbuild it the way they did here in Pittsburgh. Our store is so comically congested that many of my friends and I shop elsewhere, despite wishing we could shop there.
We drove by to check out the progress last week. Glad it is coming but it seems tiny compared to most I have seen online. Apparently we are getting a Pier One Imports right next door. I do use natural products so I am hoping to save in that aspect at least. Right now the laundry soap I use is 22 bucks and the only place to find it is Healthy Living and that is less than a months worth. Also hoping for better deals on bulk items like rice and beans.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRexGurl View Post
We drove by to check out the progress last week. Glad it is coming but it seems tiny compared to most I have seen online. Apparently we are getting a Pier One Imports right next door. I do use natural products so I am hoping to save in that aspect at least. Right now the laundry soap I use is 22 bucks and the only place to find it is Healthy Living and that is less than a months worth. Also hoping for better deals on bulk items like rice and beans.
You don't have to hope for better deals. The bottom line with TJ's is you will get a better deal. My family lives in the most expensive county in the US and when I shop in TJ's down there, I can only dream of paying the same price in the regular grocery store and it's organic on top of that.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,727,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post

I agree actually I found more unhealthy crap!! Its not a healthy store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT