U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 PM

48 posts, read 91,371 times

Advertisements

"Austin: Drivers waste 30 hours in traffic; Worst time is Thursday from 5:30 5:45 PM."

Worst traffic cities in 2012: top 10 U.S. locations revealed - Portland Pop Culture | Examiner.com

Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to think down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 PM

459 posts, read 904,954 times
Haha... it's funny. When someone points out how horrible Burlington has become for working people, the transplants come out of the woodwork to trash other options.
I have $750 to spend on housing. I am looking for a one bedroom. It is impossible to find one in that price range, and so the state loses another young, taxpaying, WORKING, Vermonter. This will continue to happen.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:54 AM

48 posts, read 91,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Haha... it's funny. When someone points out how horrible Burlington has become for working people, the transplants come out of the woodwork to trash other options.
I have $750 to spend on housing. I am looking for a one bedroom. It is impossible to find one in that price range, and so the state loses another young, taxpaying, WORKING, Vermonter. This will continue to happen.
Here's a good heat map of "the grass is greener on the other side:"

Poverty rates: Most U.S. counties see increasing poverty rates - Slate Magazine

Choose carefully.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM

76 posts, read 184,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
No, I think the point is that it is tough times everywhere. Re-locating isn't going to solve your financial problems. If I am going to be broke, I would prefer it to be in a place with all of my friends, places that I love, and where the entertainment I am seeking is accessible (ala, driving in traffic makes me avoid much of what Austin has to offer. It actually is THAT bad. I am also now spending money on a car, which I didn't have to do while living in BTV). It is all about weighing what is important to you. Sure, I might be less stressed about money for the time being, but it doesn't make up for the suffocating heat and car culture. Also, consider living outside of Burlington...even Winooski is way cheaper.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,073,703 times
Quote:
I am also now spending money on a car
Texas is a very car oriented state.

Quote:
There is not alot of trees/flora in Texas, especially compared to Vermont.
Texas trees and flora are all sickly hepatitis green. Vermont trees and flora are emerald green. When I first got to Vermont, I spent a whole week staring at the emerald green forests and mountains. I was amazed.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,832,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
I moved about a year ago to Austin, TX from Burlington, VT and I completely regret it. I left New England in search of a lower COL and more job opportunities, and have been nothing but disappointed. Austin has supposedly one of the best economies in U.S. but don't tell that to anyone actually living here. My roommate has an MBA from UT and can't even get an interview, the mass majority of people are employed but make little over $9 an hour. The COL is low(er) but the apartments are lame complexes (mine has rats) and the neighborhoods are all lacking any real authentic character. You also have to drive in terrible traffic to do literally anything (I am more bored in ATX than I ever was in BTV. Who would have ever thought?) In my opinion, nothing beats walking down church street in the spring/summer, laying in the grass at battery park, eating at American Flatbread, seeing a show at the Flynn, hiking in the mountains, swimming/boating in Lake Champlain, and the absolutely wonderful people. The amazing people you meet alone, make up for the high cost of living. Most of my friends moved away, and the majority (about 90%) already have or want to move back. I for one plan on getting my massage therapy license while I can do it for cheap(er) in ATX, and then move back within the next couple of years to hopefully work mostly for myself. My boyfriend feels the same, and plans to enter Vermont Law School, hopefully in 2013. I know the youth are supposedly fleeing the state, but as a 25 year old (YOUNG) woman, I for one, LOVERMONT!
Just remember COST of living does not equal QUALITY of living.......to thine own self be true

Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,729,250 times
$750 is not bad I don't think, but probably just not in Burlington itself.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM

76 posts, read 184,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
$750 is not bad I don't think, but probably just not in Burlington itself.

Agreed. And I never had a problem with having roommates (in fact I loved it) while living in BTV, so my COL there was never over 600 (and I lived downtown). Now I am in a serious relationship and will be splitting COL that way, so I am not too concerned. I guess if you are completely on your own (or choosing to be on your own) it can be more difficult to make ends meet.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,165,736 times
I am currently trying to live on under 38K a year here in the Washington, DC area. Average rent 45 minutes outside of DC (which means approximately 90 minutes - 120 minutes in traffic minimum during rush hour) for a one bedroom apartment is $1500. Sure - the potential to make more money is here if you are at the right place and the right time....and I was once, but fall on hard times and you can get in trouble really, really quickly.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,729,250 times
I don't know Burlington well...

Could you live on $750 rent with say, a 20 or 30 minute commute? Where does that put you if you were working in Burlington? What is a reasonable commute and of course do you look at that time in winter or summer... I don't know. Could you give up the car to save money to live in Burlington. Not sure if that is realistic if you have to travel far for work and other essentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or