Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNewYorker View Post
I responded to this in another post. I appreciate all the information you're giving me.
I'm currently exploring (online, of course) Essex housing because the schools look pretty nice. And it's not too far from Colchester, where my husband will be working. Do you know if any new building is going on in Essex? And what's the difference between Essex and Essex Junction?
A note of caution concerning Essex. They are embroiled in a substantial property tax issue due to revaluation/assessments and a change in the tax that IBM was paying. As far as new construction goes it does occur, but compared to most other places Vt is somewhat limited. I know that construction costs have really escalated and in Vt there definately is not a situation of overbuilding resulting in a glut where builders are offering deep discounts and incentives. Vermont actually experiences what many term a serious shortage of affordable quality housing. For serious considerations concerning buying land to build a residence on it would probably be best to spend time here and engage in face to face contact with realtors and builders. This goes for recently built homes as well. Unfortunately I bought a fairly new home (4 years) and did not find out the builders reputation for substandard construction practices which has cost me quite a bit of money to effect repairs on defects which were not obvious during the home inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:20 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
A note of caution concerning Essex. They are embroiled in a substantial property tax issue due to revaluation/assessments and a change in the tax that IBM was paying. As far as new construction goes it does occur, but compared to most other places Vt is somewhat limited. I know that construction costs have really escalated and in Vt there definately is not a situation of overbuilding resulting in a glut where builders are offering deep discounts and incentives. Vermont actually experiences what many term a serious shortage of affordable quality housing. For serious considerations concerning buying land to build a residence on it would probably be best to spend time here and engage in face to face contact with realtors and builders. This goes for recently built homes as well. Unfortunately I bought a fairly new home (4 years) and did not find out the builders reputation for substandard construction practices which has cost me quite a bit of money to effect repairs on defects which were not obvious during the home inspection.
And let's be honest. The future of IBM in Essex Junction isn't exactly set in stone. I have no inside information on this, but IBM is making a lot more money with their foreign facilities. Five years. Ten years? Twenty? Who knows? But the world is going global fast.

And boy what a hit that would be to Essex.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
And let's be honest. The future of IBM in Essex Junction isn't exactly set in stone. I have no inside information on this, but IBM is making a lot more money with their foreign facilities. Five years. Ten years? Twenty? Who knows? But the world is going global fast.

And boy what a hit that would be to Essex.
I agree with you. I bought my home from and IBMer who was transfered to the new Fishkill plant in New York. When we were talking about jobs he mentioned to me that his feelings were that IBM would eventually close the plant and move things to NY. During the last layoff IBM had, they threatened to close the plant as well.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:50 AM

22 posts, read 102,227 times
Default housing

Wouldn't the closing of IBM affect all the communities in and around Burlington? Or is it primarily an Essex problem? Is IBM the largest employer in the area?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNewYorker View Post
Wouldn't the closing of IBM affect all the communities in and around Burlington? Or is it primarily an Essex problem? Is IBM the largest employer in the area?
IBM is a large employer, but with the number of layoffs they have had in the past I belive the number they employ is smaller than in past years. I belive FAHC is one of the largest employers in the Burlington area.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I agree with you. I bought my home from and IBMer who was transfered to the new Fishkill plant in New York. When we were talking about jobs he mentioned to me that his feelings were that IBM would eventually close the plant and move things to NY. During the last layoff IBM had, they threatened to close the plant as well.
Well I do know that the Essex plant is more profitable than Fishkill. Fishkill's
factory is almost completely automated. Essex still uses human beings. However, I really don't think it matters. I just can't see companies building things here in the US when its so cheap overseas, and the factories are antiques here. It's just a matter of time. How much time? I don't think anyone knows.

Again just my opinion, I have no inside info.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,673 times
Default Pinewood Manor in Essex has community pool

I just came across this thread, so my comments may be a little late... but I wanted to let you know that Pinewood Manor in Essex is a wonderful neighborhood with a community pool. The development has existed for a long time so it has tons of character, older trees, etc. I think you'd like it. Here is a little info: http://lang.vtdesignworks.com/newconstruction/pinewood.shtmlBrennan (broken link) Woods in Williston is a huge newer community that is completely built out. You would have the benefit of buying a relatively new home without the annoyance of dealing with construction (which will be constant in South Burlington's South Village for the next several years). Brennan Woods has beautiful playgrounds (but no pool) and there are tons of families with kids.Two good options for ya...

Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
Hello,
I see your post is about 4 years old...But wondering what area you decided on. We are contemplating a move to Burlington and I looked at all the areas you mentioned. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gigi

Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Hi, I’m looking for an inexpensive apt for my son. He recently accepted a job in south Burlington however he’s just starting out and not making very much money. Where, what town is fairly close to south Burlington, that offers apts that are reasonably priced, a studio would work as well. Thank-you !

Old 08-21-2018, 12:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmteach View Post
Hi, I’m looking for an inexpensive apt for my son. He recently accepted a job in south Burlington however he’s just starting out and not making very much money. Where, what town is fairly close to south Burlington, that offers apts that are reasonably priced, a studio would work as well. Thank-you !
Everyone works in S. Burlington. Housing costs are pretty proportional to their distance from there.

I have a small (~300 sq ft) 1 bedroom in Colchester which I pay $975 per month for. It has a lake view and is nice despite its small size. I drive ~20 minutes to work.

If he wants ~10 minutes, it's going to be a lot more expensive. If he's willing to accept ~40 minutes, he can save probably $2-300 per month.

North of S. Burlington and east tend to be cheaper. Going south, things don't get as much cheaper as quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT