Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My family and I have talked about moving to Vermont for several years now. We think we have it narrowed down to just a couple different places, with Colchester being at the top of the list. Of course, I have the usual questions about schools, rentals, etc. ( I'd love to hear anything about those) But am also wondering if anyone can tell me about the vibe of the place. We have lived in a small town - about 15,000 people - for the last few years, and on paper Colchester looks to be just a little bit bigger, but with it's proximity to Burlington, does it feel big, or is it a different world? Ideally, I picture a quaint town with a gazebo, concerts in the park, etc. However, being close to jobs and school is a more realistic need.

I have a large family, with small children, tweens, young adults and regular ol adults, lol. Colchester looks like there is a lot to do. We aren't fancy people, love to hang out, spend a lot of time outdoors ( the thought of being near the lake makes me very happy) What's the beach like? Is it rocky? Sandy? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions.

Also, we really love how the quality of food is a priority in Vermont. Using local food / farms, etc is extremely important to us. ( We like to know what we're eating) I have heard that a lot of the schools actually grow gardens and get their food locally, as opposed to the "regular ol government feed". Anyone have any info on this in the Colchester schools? I've tried to research it, but haven't found much.

We looked into Winooski also, but it appears a lot of it will be in the flight path of the new fighter jets. Will Colchester be affected? Not trying to be controversial, just want to be informed.

Finally, realistically how long would it take to get to UVM?

I really appreciate any advice / input you can give us. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
I am a Colchester resident. Colchester is a very large town land wise. Because of its size there is every possible type of living available, from rural to small city. We live in Malletts Bay which is primarily suburban with a few farms. The school system is one of the better systems in the state. Test scores are among the best in the state. It's not Mayberry though. It is one of Vermonts largest towns population wise and some of the problems you will find in Burlington or Rutland can be found here. If you are an involved parent, you should have few concerns. Typically the kids who are free to do as they wish or who have little parent involvement, are the kids that get in trouble or involved with the wrong crowd.

There are plenty of outdoor activities in the town from water sports to the bike path. You shouldn't get bored with what there is to do. The beach is in Malletts Bay. It's not very big, but it is sandy. Most of the area around the bay is rocky or not that accessible. There are mostly private homes around the lake, so the water isn't as accessible. As I mentioned, the town ranges from rural to small city. There isn't a central location that people refer to as the downtown area. The town is large and spread out with several sections to the town. There is the village, Malletts Bay, St Mikes area, etc. They do hold summer concerts in Malletts Bay and the farmers market is held in the village.

As far as affordability, that depends on what you have for income. This is in the heart of Chittenden County and it's not the most affordable place in the state. Rents are slightly cheaper than Burlington, but not by much. If you are looking for a place large enough for a family, it will be over $1000-1200/month. Most places don't include much outside of trash and snow removal. Like Burlington it depends on the season. Sometimes cheaper rents can be found, but it sepends on what you consider suitable housing.

I would say avoid Winooski. I will not get into specifics, you will understand if you visit the area. I will say the school system is not very good. As far as aircraft noise, you are in Chittenden County, the Airguard base is close and so are the jets. Most people in the area don't really care though. The F-16's are just as loud as the F-35's will be. Most people don't realize this because the F-16's have to use afterburners the majority of the time because of weight issues. There will also be fewer sorties when the F-35 comes. I wouldn't let this be a concern, the existing aircraft will not be phased out until 2020. You will figure out by then if you like or don't care for the area.

The town is large. Depending on where in town you live will depend on how long it takes to get to Burlington. In the northern sections of town it can be 20-30 minutes and in areas like Malletts Bay or near St. Mikes, 5-10 minutes.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Thanks for such a detailed answer!! You've given a lot of good information. May I ask a couple more questions? How long have you lived there? Have you lived in other parts of Vermont? Are there parades in town? Where are they held? Is the shopping spread out, also ( like grocery stores, etc) It sounds like it has so many of the things we're looking for!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
I have lived here for almost 13 years now. I lived in Brookfield, VT in Central Vermont for about 6 years and when I first came up I was was in Southern Vermont in a small town named Rupert. The later two are rural towns which are different in every way from Chittenden County. They are towns most would consider what "real Vermont" is.
As far as grocery shopping, it depends on where you live. In the Malletts Bay area, there is a small Price Chopper in town as well as several options in the North End of Burlington. The rest of the town depends on what you like for stores. Some people hate Shaws and drive 10-15 minutes to other options. The only area that is tough would be in the more remote sections of town. In the northern sections of town they have to shop in Milton or jump on the interstate and head towards Burlington. There is also a COSTCO in Colchester on the Winooski line which is very popular.
There is a 4th of July parade that is held in the village section of town. I can't remember off the top of my head, but there may be a Memorial Day parade as well. The village was the original center of town. As the town grew it has spread out. Police/EMS, fire, town hall, most of the schools, etc are located in Malletts Bay. There is a small elementary school in the village as well as the library and a couple of church's and a fire department.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 PM

41 posts, read 89,753 times
Many Chittenden County schools are good and I think you can't go wrong with Colchester public schools. Essex Junction also has a great reputation. I worked in the Winooski School district for a few years and found a lot of hard-working, wonderful people there and a school succeeding in spite of its reputation. There are a significant number of immigrant refugees that have settled in Winooski who require intensive English as a Second Language instruction. Many of these families value education as much as anyone. It has unfortunately brought down test scores because the "No Child Left Behind Act" mandates the same testing, whether you have lived in America for 2 weeks & can't speak English or whether you have been here your whole life. Winooski is a walkable, compact town/small city with some great restaurants and amenities like fitness center, YMCA, summer farmer's market, yoga studio, bars, coffee shops, good public transport/bus to Burlington, nice views of the river, etc. There are plenty of families there up the hill, as well as lots of young people and students. It is certainly not the most affluent town in the region but there are some nice neighborhoods. It does, however, have the big drawback, as you researched, of being right in the flight path of the fighter jets, and that is true for the school there also. I never heard anyone, staff or students, mention the commercial air traffic but plenty of comments about the fighters.

I am not a Colchester resident but you may also want to reach out to Roger Bourassa, who is, if you have questions about the F-35 & its impact in Colchester.

AARP VT - Roger Bourassa Receives AARP

Roger is a former member of the military and national guard and previously lived in Winooski, as well as other more rural parts of Vermont. On the issue of the F-35, many people in Chittenden County agree with 68Vette's opinion and many people differ with it. I know a teacher at Winooski who lives in a beautiful area of Colchester, not that far from the Lake Champlain Causeway bike path and park (a great recreational feature in Colchester), who finds the jet noise much worse at the Winooski school than her neighborhood. Only you can know whether living with noise levels that the Air Force considers "not compatible with residential use" for neighborhoods only a few miles away is OK with you or not. In the end, it is really a personal thing. I do really feel for the families and people in parts of South Burlington and Winooski who are facing a major loss on their home investment through no fault of their own, having bought many years ago, long before the F-16s started using after-burners (Air Force originally had said they would not use after-burners & stood by this for a while) and before the Air Force stated last year that the F-35s will be 4 times louder than the F-16s.

As 68Vette said, Colchester is a large area with lots of housing options. You might want to try it out for a few years without making a commitment in terms of buying a house to be sure. Severance Corners is a fast-growing part of Colchester that offers rentals, as well as condos and may be worth checking out. It has good proximity/easy commuting to UVM.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT