Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM

72 posts, read 213,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
This depends on where you are flying to. We have great fares to NY,FL,
and a few other markets. I can tell you that it is very expensive to many areas. I can't fly between here and Milwaukee in the summer for less than $400 to $450. Chicago not too bad though. We really need southwest or AirTran.
doesn't anyone fly continental express?

as for traffic! only people in ca can comment after nj.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Burlington is like a big piece of flypaper...it's keeps all the urban/suburban minded folks that want to move to Vermont in one place and from moving to my little quiet corner of Vermont.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Burlington is like a big piece of flypaper...it's keeps all the urban/suburban minded folks that want to move to Vermont in one place and from moving to my little quiet corner of Vermont.

Is your corner of Vermont the Mad River Valley? Is that what MRV stands for in your screen name?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 51,009 times
Texas loves you? I am missing something here.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Hey Ian...Still trying to figure out the Texas comment. As for Phish. If you ask 100 random people outside of the northeast who they are, they will think you are talking about something you eat. I like to listen to them, but as far as revolutionizing music in the 90's? That is a bit drastic. They are the Grateful Dead, but newer.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Oktaren...I am from WNY originally. There is no comparison to here. In WNY the schools are better, there is a full time philharmonic, there are actual sports teams, the people are more neighborly, there are actual industries (not cottage industries), technology, banking and commerce are growing (finally), and so much else. It is not a perfect place and there is crime and other problems in WNY, but then again, the region has twice as many people as the state of Vermont.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Is your corner of Vermont the Mad River Valley? Is that what MRV stands for in your screen name?
I cannot say as it would make my last post meaningless....

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 AM

29 posts, read 89,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grybas44 View Post
Texas loves you? I am missing something here.
You should explore your options in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area. Your rationale for disliking Burlington seems to point towards an appreciation for Texas. The normal life you crave is very much alive in Plano, Texas. As for Phish......as all art is subjective its hard really to prove an opinion. However, I have seen Phish play to sold out crowds throughout the West and West Coast, from Colorado to Portland to San Francisco to LA to Las Vegas, etc. Which leads me to believe that they had a National audience. Also they do not sound much like the Grateful Dead (another fave of mine). Phish is way more post-modern and contemporary. Not trying to nitpick, but you seem unhappy with the Burlington scene.......Dallas is warm, has big sports teams, a big international airport, malls, big subdivisions, factories, oil, country music and classical, "hot" bleach blonde ladies, big highway systems, and best of all, no weirdo hippie scene. You'll love it.
Meanwhile little Burlington will soldier on with its "strange" carhart clad women, liberal politics, bearded men, mud boots, and zoning laws. Thank god for freak friendly towns!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Oktaren...I am from WNY originally. There is no comparison to here. In WNY the schools are better, there is a full time philharmonic, there are actual sports teams, the people are more neighborly, there are actual industries (not cottage industries), technology, banking and commerce are growing (finally), and so much else. It is not a perfect place and there is crime and other problems in WNY, but then again, the region has twice as many people as the state of Vermont.
I take you mean western upstate NY?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Quote:
I'm not from anywhere close to buffalo, over an hour FURTHER west! so, no, none of that applies to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT