U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 15,291 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I am a current medical student who has applied to mostly NE areas for residency. Will be moving next July. One of the places I applied to is University of Vermont.

The reason I applied to Vermont is because I am so tired of the densely populated area of Northern NJ. I am tired of ghettos after ghettos. Tired of the aggressive rude people. Tired of the pollution and trash. I thought

Vermont would be a nice change. I am currently married.

One thing that scares me is that I am reading, and it sounds that Burlington is a pretty small city, and it is boring. I mean, my pastime with my husband is just eating out, and swimming at the beach. We are not so much about the nightlife, but we occasionally visit gay bars about twice a year. lol. Also, our in laws are 32 hours in Upstate NY. We are in our late 20's, going to be 30 in a couple of years. Does Burlington sound like a place for us??

Also, I was disappointed with the cost of living. Thought it would be cheaper. I will be making 52K, while my husband will make around 15K working part time. Is this good enough to live in Burlington or the surrounding??
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:53 AM

3,327 posts, read 8,753,215 times
Burlington...boring? Well...I guess if you are comparing it to Boston, NY, Montreal etc. then maybe. But really...for a city its size its got a lot going on. Lots of local live music. Lots of bars and restaurants. Flynn Theater brings in many national acts. The University of Vermont offers lots of activities including D1 Athletics (if you like watching live sports games). If you like outdoor activities then Burlington is hard to beat. Right on the lake for swimming, boating, kite boarding, fishing etc. An awesome bike path that runs along the waterfront and connects into adjacent communities bike path systems. In the winter there is skiing at the nearby resorts, snowshoeing, nordic skiing, skating, ice fishing. Seven Days newspaper is the best resource to find out about what is going on.
Seven Days | Vermont's Independent Voice

Housing. Yes. Its expensive. I think its a pretty big misconception by those who live in our nearby more urbanized areas that Vermont is cheap. Nope. Housing is expensive. Salaries are generally lower as well. If you don't mind a bit of a commute you can live a half our or so outside Burlington and save a little bit of money (though you may make up for it in gas?).

Many people make due on that salary. In fact I believe that hovers right around the median salary in the state. I guess it all comes down to your budget...if you have tons of debt (student loans?) then it may be tough. But that is such a personal thing-some people can do just fine living on 50k here and some can't.

Have you ever been to Burlington? Can you come for a visit?

Good luck and congrats to you for getting through medical school!

Old 11-28-2014, 05:58 AM

167 posts, read 191,460 times
vter what you describe just sounds great. Can't wait

Old 11-28-2014, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 15,291 times
vter, thanks for the advice. My other top option is long island, but I am getting scared reading about it. Haha! Maybe Ill take Vermont.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 AM

404 posts, read 490,798 times
Vermont and Long Island are worlds apart in culture and population density!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,992 times
I am currently living on Long Island and thinking about moving to Vermont as well. If you want a change from New Jersey, don't move to Long Island - it is almost the same place. Too many people, terrible traffic, and the cost of living is ridiculous - not sure you could live comfortably on the money you stated you have coming in. Vermont is beautiful, Burlington is cool and has tons of things to do, and Montreal is only a two hour drive away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT