U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,202 times

Advertisements

Hi...
We are both in our early thirties, both pharmacists (with jobs lined up) and moving to Burlington on March 1 with our **** Zhou Chester. We are from the metro Boston area and are looking to experience living somewhere else. We are big foodies with a big interest in gardening...We picked Burlington because of the great restaurants, cool small city vibe, local natural beauty (I could stare at Lake Champlain and the mountains all day!), creative/arts scene, closeness to Montreal, and reputation for a healthy, safe place to raise a family. We are both a bit introverted so I'm a little nervous about meeting new people and also I have never lived away from my family. Everyone here says don't go because the winters are so brutal...but we are going to try it anyways! Love Vermont in all other seasons.

We are not huge winter outdoorsy people but I am looking forward to finding ways to embrace it...getting better at skiing, snow shoeing...

Any advice, opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 PM

221 posts, read 265,312 times
Burlington indeed has a small city vibe, natural beauty, arts scene and is a relatively healthy and safe place to raise a family(although compared to alot of other areas in vermont and due to it being a "bigger" city it does have more crime than other places). The one thing you wrote that I don't think you should have huge expectations for(especially being from the Boston area) is great restaurants. My wife and I found that this was one of the very few things that did disappoint us here. Alot of people say the food is great and when it comes to the local, farm fresh food that you prepare yourself at home it indeed is. But when it comes to prepared food, we found most of it to be quite bland. There is no comparison between food you would find in New England in general, to food you would find, say, in the midwest. Just no comparison. The latter is much better. Just our opinion.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:47 PM

17,782 posts, read 53,957,343 times
You should be fine. Be aware that the gardening season is short, fraught with freezes, and may need help from cold frames. Get advice from the extension center and find a good local gardener to guide you. If you have the money and time, wander outside of Burlington for restaurants. Stowe and Montpelier have good ones and there are others around.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM

My wife and I have been to Piecasso in Stowe a few times, they're not bad. Don't really know any others in montpelier or stowe. In the burlington area we do like sweetwaters(church st) and American Flatbread. On Tap in Essex isn't bad. Other than that we have not been impressed yet.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,229,967 times
Stowe, Waterbury, Montpelier and the MRV, in my opinion, have some great places to eat. Ranging from local pub fare to higher end options. There are definite duds around, but in all honesty, I miss very little after moving here from NYC. We've filled our requirements for sushi, Vietnamese, Turkish, to name a few. Of course, you won't have the variety and quantity as you do in a bit city, but there are great options.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 PM

My wife and I checked out the blue stone in waterbury yesterday. While the music and decor could use some help, the food was decent and very fresh.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 AM

167 posts, read 192,057 times
Come to my house for some awesome crawfish pies and beef poboys!!!
I've had a friend over for the last week and she's gone and I want to feed people haha!
Nothing like eating at home...
Good luck kpharm12 & see y'a then!!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 7,339 times
Restaurants that i like in burlington el cortijio, eb strongs , leugnis, the vietnamese on winooski ave, hana for sushi, there are a few good too. U should visit he vermont teady bear factory and of course ben and jerrys factory. I like burlington a lot !! They have some outlets too.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 AM

404 posts, read 492,748 times
Try Hen of the Woods in Waterbury for a fab meal--make reservations and don't try the downtown Burlington location unless you prefer a loud bar crowd. The food is as good but we prefer the quieter dining experience in Waterbury--and the building is great too.
Also in Waterbury you'll find an excellent breakfast spot at the Stagecoach Inn. I highly recommend the potato pancake and any omelette.
Jimmz on rt 100 headed towards Stowe has very good thin crust pizza, the owner uses high quality ingredients and you can taste the difference.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 AM

7,565 posts, read 9,418,684 times
The restaurants are basically in three places--Shelburne Road going south, Williston Road going west, and downtown Burlington on Church Street.

Having secured jobs as pharmacists will enable you to live pretty well, although Burlington is much more expensive than a stereotypical northern New England city..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT