Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 12:31 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Howdy! I will be spending a bit of time in your city on my way to Maine, in the last week of May (week after Memorial Day).

I am doing this on the cheap a bit, and have a Motel 6 booked in a place just north of Burlington, suburb I think, called Winooski (the address is Colchester but on the map it really looks like Winooski). Question is about walking or taking the bus into Burlington proper. It doesn't look too bad to walk, about 3 miles to Church Street, (I am a pretty avid walker), but am wondering if there's bus service, too. I'm assuming it is probably pretty safe to walk....both during the day and later in the evening....would this be correct?

I guess I could also park downtown. Are there public parking garages, and, if so, do y'all know the rates?

Also, is free on street parking available during after-hours (for example, here in Ohio they turn the meters off after 6 PM).

Speaking of evenings, I will be in Burlington for two weeknights, (Wendsday and Thursday nights) and am wondering if there are any good live music options, particularly open mic nights, jam sessions, more on the acoustic singer-songwriter/folky/Americana/Jam Band style....if y'all could recommend a good venue or two for this stuff, if any....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM

Oh, one other question. Breakfast! I am an early riser ("who meets the dawn, owns the day!"), so would be looking for a good 24 hour short order place or early (6 or 7 AM) breakfast place where I could get some grub when starting out.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:19 PM

221 posts, read 346,079 times
Motel 6 on the Winooski/Colchester line is decent. It is pretty safe to walk, I'm not sure about buses. I've never walked it but know the area very well I would assume someone in decent shape could get from motel 6 to church st in an hour to an hour and a half. Have you considered renting a bicycle?

some of the public garages are free for the first 2 hours some used to be and now they charge from the first minute. I don't exactly remember the rates cause I haven't used them in forever but they're not bad. I think something like a dollar an hour.

Free parking on the street is available after hours.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Your hotel is definitely in Colchester....but barely! It sits on the Colchester/Winooski city line.
As Oriz said, garage parking in most city garages in Burlington (I think the exception is the one on Cherry Street attached to the mall) have free parking for the first 2 hours and then after that it is a dollar or so an hour. Not expensive at all.
CCTA is the bus system. The Riverside-Winooski Line comes very close to your hotel (look for Winooski HS on the map-your hotel is maybe a 5 minute walk from there. http://cctaride.org/wordpress/wp-con...deWinooski.pdf
If you walk keep in mind you'll have quite a hill between your hotel and downtown Winooski. Other than that it is pretty flat.
For things to do...check out Seven Days newspaper. It has the best listings for music, theater, etc. You can pick up a copy when you arrive or start checking online for the dates you'll be here. Seven Days | Vermont's Independent Voice
For breakfast...there is a Burger King and McDonalds in front of your hotel. Just across Roosevelt Highway (Route 2) is a diner..I believe it is called Athens Diner. Downtown Winooski also has some restaurants including Sneakers which has a good breakfast. Sneakers Bistro | Serving Breakfast & Lunch Since 1980 | Winooski, VT

Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 PM

221 posts, read 346,079 times
like vter said There's Mcdonalds and Burger king there's also subway across the st right by winooski insurance...and then there's costco if you want to make yourself something. for dinner there's junios right next to the motel as well.

ahhh sneakers and the infamous bacon fiasco

Old 02-28-2015, 11:38 AM

Downtown Winooski sounds like a neat pitstop on the way into Portland.

Quote:
Have you considered renting a bicycle?
Why yes I have! I understand there is a bike rental place south of downtown Portland and my plan on my second day in Portland was to get to the rental place early, rent a bike, and ride that bike path along Lake Champlain (I read somewhere there is a lakefront bike path).

Say, could any of you tell me about the "Intervale" area? I understand that is sort like some sort of community gardening/urban farming district?

BTW, a bit thank you all for the recs, links, and advice. Starting to really look forward to this visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT