Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 41,642 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I've been following this forum for many months. I'd love to move my family to Vermont from Sacramento, Ca. Our kids attend the Sacramento Waldorf School and I'm wondering if anyone has any info about the Shelburne area south of Burlington where the Waldorf School is located. What kind of Waldorf community is there? Are there a lot of Waldorf related activitities and businesses? What is that area or surrounding areas like to live? We are attracted to rolling farm/rural properties, 5-? acres, an old house but not too far from a town/community. Any help before I make a trip out there would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
I'll ask my sister about it tomorrow. Her son attends a Waldorf school right in that area.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:21 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
The Waldorf (sp?) school (K-8) is located just outside Shelburne Village. They do have a website I believe. One of my boss's children goes there and it works for her. Her other child switched schools as as she got older, that learning style wasnt for her. Her child takes the local bus (CCTA) from Burlington to school - apparently there are quite a few kids who do this. As far as I can tell, it has a good reputation.
The Lake Champlain Waldorf High School is located in Charlotte, but will be moving to an unknown location (at this time they are scouting out areas to relocate) in a few years.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Yup, it's the same one. My sister's son attends the preschool and she thinks very highly of it. Her son certainly seems to have a good time.

http://www.lcwaldorf.org/index.html (broken link)

Old 11-21-2006, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 41,642 times
I'm very familiar with Waldorf itself. The thing that's great about where we are is the Waldorf community outside of the school. That's kind of what I'm wondering about. Also, just some general info on what the Shelburne area is like.
Thanks,
-David

Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Don't know about a Waldorf "community" per se. It's a small school and the only one in the Burlington area. I can tell you that my boss is one of the few mothers in her daughter's class that works a full time job. My boss said that there are quite a few "young, trust-fund" types who send their children there. I was in the Shelburne Supermarket recently and there were a couple 4th graders in there trying to save the rainforests by having a little bakesale. My bosses daughter made a cute knitted rooster in her handwork class. Thats my extent of knowledge of the Waldorf system LOL! I'm more of a traditional school person myself. But, if Waldorf works for your kids, then that is great!
Shelburne is very nice, what I would consider an upscale suburb of Burlington with "snob" zoning. Big McMansions on big lots. There are some older more traditional neighborhoods as well. Shelburne is very pricy (by Vermont standards). I personally wouldnt live there as it's a little to pretentious for me - again, by Vermont standards LOL. Hinesburg, an abutting community, has a much more agricultural feel too it, but is feeling growth pressure. I really, really like HInesburg. It's a nice community. I do a lot of my errands/business there (I live just south of HInesburg in Addison County). You may also consider Charlotte (again, like Shelburne, very pricy), and Ferrisburgh, which is a little more laid back and a little more "Vermont" IMO. Middlebury is a great town, but you're looking at 45ish minutes to the Waldorf School in good weather.
Check the local papers - www.sevendaysvt.com, www.burlingtonfreepress.com, and www.addisonindependent.com .

Last edited by vter; 11-21-2006 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
Hi there! I'm a soon to be college graduate and am possibly interested in applying to work at the Shelburne Museum. Would anyone have any information on the cost of living (average prices of apartments for rent in the Shelburne area), a bit of info about what activities there are to do, and an opinion as to if this would be an interesting town for a twenty-something female to consider?

thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT