Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 36,852 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Burlington.Can anyone tell me what are some better streets in the Old North End? No car. No kids. Self-employed. Want to walk to everything. Have heard only negative things about the Old North End: drunken students, etc. But that's where the "less expensive" real estate is located along with the ability to walk to a market, post office, bookstores, etc. Not really interested in renting or a condo; want our own slice 'o heaven. Anyone care to weigh in on this issue? Would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by BriteApril; 12-03-2006 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 10:51 AM

42 posts, read 76,642 times
Yes, could someone in-the-know let us know the difference between "South Burlington and North Burlington". I've heard people say they live in South Burlington-is that a more desirable area? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
The Old North End of Burlington is the one area of town I would NOT recommend living in. It's a bit run down and has the most "violence" in the City. The hill section is nice as is the south end. The more suburban (really nice) part of Burlington is called the "New North End" or sometimes also referred to as North Burlington. If you want to be in the Old North End, I would recommend looking between Pearl Street and North Street, north of N. Winooski.
South Burlington is an entirely different city. It's got really good schools and is suburban. The University Mall and most of the areas hotels/motels are located in South Burlington as is the Burlington International Airport.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 36,852 times
Thanks, vter! Will keep that in mind about the Old North End. The Hill would be great but looks too pricey. Sigh. Are there parts of South Burlington where one can get a lower-priced home and be able to walk to a market, post office, etc.?

Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
South Burlington isnt a walking friendly city. With no car, I wouldnt recommend it. It does have good bus (CCTA) service though. You may want to check out Winooski. It's going through quite a rennaisance (sp?).

Old 12-21-2006, 12:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default Old North End..

...this area can be described as "working-class", and although not idyllic, it is not nearly as bad as poor areas in much larger cities.
You might want to consider the area around the University of Vermont, which is reasonably nice, and close to downtown. If you're looking for a single-family home, several good bets are the South End (from UVM extending towards South Burlington, including the more-pricey Hill Section), the city of South Burlington (very post-WW2 suburban housing stock, with great schools), or the New North End, also almost exclusively suburban in outlook.
The city on the whole is quite pleasant, and the population is quietly friendly. I think you'll enjoy it very much.

An ex-native of 25 years...

Old 12-24-2006, 10:19 AM

67 posts, read 221,217 times
Default Old North End OK for any single person

without kids- the area is starting to develop its own resturants, coffee shops etc. This area will be as safe and polished as the South side - (everything across main street) in a few years I bet - it has to: it is close to town and everything on the south side is too expensive, unless you're a trust fund baby :-). Let me know if you have any specific street you want to know about and I will try to send you a pic to prove the point

Old 12-24-2006, 03:26 PM
R_J

3 posts, read 20,795 times
I lived in the North End for the better part of 8 years. (I still own my condo there) I think it's just fine, it has improved over the last couple years.

-RJ

Old 12-26-2006, 02:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default Parts of the Old North End..

...are actually very nice, especially the hill section of North Street, further away from Lake Champlain.If you're concerned about being near shops, restaurants, etc, then I would consider streets such as Willard, Prospect, Mansfield, Loomis, Buell, Bradley, College and Pearl, all of which are near downtown ( and may have some students,although this may not be a huge noise problem). There are some nice neighborhoods in Birchcliff and around Caroline Street a little further away from downtown, but within a mile or so.And finally, don't rule out South Burlington entirely. A car would help, but there are grocery stores within a 20-25 minute walk of many housing developments, and a large mall for all kinds of shopping is in the heart of South Burlington, not far from the edge of UVM.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,457 times
hi,
anyone know what the rose st, near cedar area is like (Burlington vt)? I'm thinking of renting an apartment there.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT