Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,028 times

Advertisements

I've lived in many "hot" cities such as Burlington. Without exception, I watched fringe neighborhoods get steamrolled with real estate speculators
and builders who force out the lower and middle/lower class and turn the one time blue collar nighborhoods into havens for yuppies. Surprisingly, this hasn't happened in Burlington. Especially considering how tiny the area of Burlington and Winoski is. Is there a reason for this? Is it politics? I've never seen anything like it. I would have bet everything I had that the Old North End would have been gentrified by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,262,883 times
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on this as well. Winooski does seem to have some "gentrification" going on with the Winooski Falls project, and I do see some infill projects here and there in the ONE, but nothing like what happened to say, the South End of Boston in the 90s.
There are a couple Burlington area realtors who participate here than can hopefully give a good perspective for us!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,328 times
The topic of gentrification recently came up with my sons as they have several friends who have taken jobs in NYC and other major cities elsewhere. The reason this is not really happening here in Vt on a noticeable scale is basically that the volume of paying jobs which promotes this just do not exist here.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
The topic of gentrification recently came up with my sons as they have several friends who have taken jobs in NYC and other major cities elsewhere. The reason this is not really happening here in Vt on a noticeable scale is basically that the volume of paying jobs which promotes this just do not exist here.
I can't tell you how many people I know are looking for apartments in Burlington and can't find them. Have you seen some of these old houses in Burlington that rent apartments? Every nook and crannie in the place is a seperate apartment. I'm no expert, but it seems like the north end would be a gold mine. I'm just wondering if politics plays a part in this. As we all know, many of the Burlington politicians are very concerned that low income families get a fair shake. For instance, when the new condos were built on the lake, there was stipulation that a building be set aside for low income renters. Although from what I understand, that hasn't worked out the way it was supposed to.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 PM

367 posts, read 695,249 times
I think the Old North End simply has a bad rap. I know that in previous years there has been considerable crime there, but in the last few years things seem to be getting better. There is the Boys and Girls Club for the kids to hang out at, and people seem to look out for each other there. You will also find quite a bit of ethnic diversity there which makes it appealing.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
I think the Old North End simply has a bad rap. I know that in previous years there has been considerable crime there, but in the last few years things seem to be getting better. There is the Boys and Girls Club for the kids to hang out at, and people seem to look out for each other there. You will also find quite a bit of ethnic diversity there which makes it appealing.
Well that's not really my point. I'm wondering why real estate here seems to be bucking the gentrification trend of so many other places.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,328 times
Another factor here is that we have one of the tightest rental markets in the country. The demand exceeds the supply and for that reason some neighborhoods which may have been considered less than desirable may offer the only choice which in turn may be a good thing by bringing more people who are responsible into a neighborhood. Now in large cities where properties are being upgraded in depressed areas are bringing in top dollar which can be a bad thing for the traditional population as many are being priced out. The pressure on the rental market will continue as many working couples in their 20s and 30s who years ago would have been potential buyers are now becoming extended renters.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:38 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,267 times
All valid points. Don't forget regulation- I'm sure tearing up old buildings in Burlington is not a pleasant regulatory experience. Mix that with high demand already mentioned and you have crappy old rental units. The affordable housing as a percentage of new housing regulations have been updated in VT. Now the affordable housing has to be on contingent property.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM

166 posts, read 441,394 times
I lived on North St in the ONE for 2 years. I would agree with Flu in that the job market just does not support gentrification in Burlington. 57% of Burlington's residents are low to moderate income according to the Burlington CEDO. The apartments even in the much cheaper ONE are overpriced in relation to the wages of the area. It also has the oldest housing stock in Burlington and tearing one down would never be allowed with all the regulations. An example of how just tight the regulations are- I had a friend who rented in the ONE and had 75 year old stain glass windows in her apartment. Her landlord was not allowed to install new windows because they were considered historic. She had to tape plastic and blankets over them in the winter to practically prevent it from snowing inside.

A very detailed publication by the Burlington CEDO on demographics, housing, jobs, etc can be found.

2008 Proposed Consolidated Plan for Housing & Community Development

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM

[quote=flu189;4232835]Another factor here is that we have one of the tightest rental markets in the country. The demand exceeds the supply and for that reason some neighborhoods which may have been considered less than desirable may offer the only choice /quote]

That is my point. So why haven't Winooski and the North End been gentrified. Politics? Is the city not allowing teardowns and massive rehabs
to assure affordable housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT