Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM

65 posts, read 358,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWands View Post
Be warned ComputerBlue... there are not a lot of computer related jobs up here (It's not a tech heavy state) and salaries are not competitive to what they are outside of Vermont. A lot of companies do not want to higher flatlanders because they fear you will not stay once you spend a year here.
I don't want to discourage you but finding computer work here, especially when you aren't currently living here, is not a lot of fun.
Well I definitely believe you. I know it will be very hard to find a job in this field of work. I will try though definitely and Im not expecting it to work but at least I could say I tried lol. I will plan a trip up and stay for about 2 weeks talking to employers. And if anything I at least got to see the place! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The Northeast, except for parts of upstate NY is expensive period. Have you looked into similar college towns in the south and south east. Maybe Charlottesville, VA or Athens GA? And are you ready for our winters? Last winter was a bear. I've lived in many places and I'd say this is the least racist area I've lived in, Burlington area anyway.

But job security ugh....
Ha! I hate the southern heat lol

Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
This post takes the cake on the manure scale among all your other posts. I'm sorry you had to move to Wisconsin but the truth is there are many in Vermont who are hard working, don't make big money and manage to survive just fine including myself, many of my friends, co-workers and maybe even a few on this forum.

Too many Vermont haters on this forum, it's stinking up the joint. You left, many have stayed and are happy to live in Vermont. Let it go. Enjoy the orange cheese and the Packers, period end of sentence.
I believe every forum has one or two of these types kicking around. The LI forum is rife with them. They can't afford LI, leave for NC and then attempt to extol how wonderful life is, despite the fact that the area is developing far more rapidly than was planned for and that the natives hate the intrusion. They like to remind us that we are idiots for remaining in a place that they have deemed undesirable. Occasionally they must be reminded that they chose to leave, and we are happy to know that they are so happy there.

I have come up with OhBeeHave's Theory on Past Residence Haters:

"People who have left come back to pan the place they once lived in order to provide some sort of twisted affirmation as to why they live in the place they now live."

Basically people are drawn back to the place they are happiest. Obviously the returnees were happiest here and regret ever having left. What we read are the sour grapes.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBlue View Post
Well I definitely believe you. I know it will be very hard to find a job in this field of work. I will try though definitely and Im not expecting it to work but at least I could say I tried lol. I will plan a trip up and stay for about 2 weeks talking to employers. And if anything I at least got to see the place! Thank you.

Good luck on the job hunt I hope everything works out as you would like!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,554,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe every forum has one or two of these types kicking around. The LI forum is rife with them. They can't afford LI, leave for NC and then attempt to extol how wonderful life is, despite the fact that the area is developing far more rapidly than was planned for and that the natives hate the intrusion. They like to remind us that we are idiots for remaining in a place that they have deemed undesirable. Occasionally they must be reminded that they chose to leave, and we are happy to know that they are so happy there.

I have come up with OhBeeHave's Theory on Past Residence Haters:

"People who have left come back to pan the place they once lived in order to provide some sort of twisted affirmation as to why they live in the place they now live."

Basically people are drawn back to the place they are happiest. Obviously the returnees were happiest here and regret ever having left. What we read are the sour grapes.
How true!

Ditto for Maine and the rest of New England.

I'd rather struggle twice as hard to live here than spend the rest of my days cow tipping in the State of __(insert name here)__.

Cheers!
g.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,844 times
I live in Rutland and both of my brothers live in Burlington so im up there a lot. One thing you won't have to worry about is racism, no one really cares what color you are up here. If you are trying to get rich, then don't bother moving here, it's not gonna happen. But if you are looking to have a good, relaxed life with a lot of great, accepting people and little crime then vermont is for you. we don't need to get rich, we just want to make enough to get by and live a good life

Old 08-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish90 View Post
I live in Rutland and both of my brothers live in Burlington so im up there a lot. One thing you won't have to worry about is racism, no one really cares what color you are up here. If you are trying to get rich, then don't bother moving here, it's not gonna happen. But if you are looking to have a good, relaxed life with a lot of great, accepting people and little crime then vermont is for you. we don't need to get rich, we just want to make enough to get by and live a good life
Well thats good to hear that about racism in vermont. I'm light-skinned and I rarely have had any big deals but its pretty bad down south. It's like whites and blacks won't really much interact and there is still a 200 year old grudge. I just hate feeling isolated like that. Then black people hate seeing you even having a relationship with a white person. I typically perfer white women but that doesnt mean I would not date a nice black women lol. But everyone has there preference. Yeah I really don't want to be rich just comfortable and being around good people. I just want a escape so I can actually admire nature and still have functioning job. I know i'm going to haft to prove to employers that Im going to stay if offered a job. I hear it's hard to get jobs just being outside of vermont and I do understand. Is burlington building up like a sprawl or is it slow and steady?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I'm not sure what you could get for 80,000K in Burlington or the immediate area, if anything. Go to one of the major real estate search engines like realtor.com and see what you can find. I actually just did a search for Burlington, max price 100K and got 0 hits.
Computer jobs....my other half works at GE Healthcare in South Burlington. It's a good company. You may want to check and see what is available. There are also a lot of small "mom&pop shops" that often have IT openings. Check out [url=http://www.sevendaysvt.com]Seven Days | Vermont's Independent Voice[/url] or [url=http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com]burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Burlington, Vermont[/url] for an idea as to what is out there. Keep in mind Burlington is a small city (40K, metro area 150Kish) in a small state (600ishK total population) so the economy here is small. Not a whole heck of a lot of jobs to choose from, and competition can be fierce to get one as everyone "wants that good job".
Regarding diversity-well, lets face it. Vermont is one of the whitest states in the union. There is a small african-american community in Burlington. When I say small, I mean SMALL. Burlington is a very open, welcoming community, generally speaking, and I can't imagine that you would not feel welcome.
Can you swing a visit up here? Check out JetBlue. There is a daily direct flight from Orlando. If you check regularly, you can find good fares.
Good luck!
PS. How do you feel about winter!
How - do.......

I'm Stefan from NYC, I'm mixed race; White, East Indian and Afr. Amer.. What you stated about the "acceptance of all groups " is what I've heard too. I'm a poor Mid. age single guy living in public housing. I'm tired of being treated like a second class citizen by housing management & the City of New York for this! I've managed to squirrel away 45 or so grand and have built up good credit. I drive a yellow cab now. I 'just graduated T.T truck school. Was also thinking of sometype of online/campus associates degree, com****r school. I want to live in a bueatiful wintery place like I dream Vermont to be. I don't mind hard work either.

Between the T. Truck driving or the possible com****r school/job. What would you folk's reccommed?

Also what is the viability of buying and acer of land (twenty or so miles out of town) and putting up a trailer to live in. A house in the future maybe by my own hands is a thought? That is with the money I have??

My other choice ; now that the market is down, start as an P/T assistant broker and work my way up the ladder. I'm gagging.

Any replys are welcome, Stefan G. [EMAIL="Hack7720@yahoo.com"]Hack7720@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 11-01-2008, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 52,963 times
I work in technology in VT and let me just say...there are few if any computer jobs here. You have IBM but you don't know if you are about to be laid off from one day to the next. The same IT outsourcing firm does the IT work for both Blue Cross/Blue Shield of VT and National Life, so you may find some there, but there's few to none, especially outside Burlington. Some other companies with fairly sizeable (for Vermont) IT shops around are AllScripts, VSAC, Union Mutual, and Chittenden Bank.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:57 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,772,090 times
During the last 12 months, 5 condos which were listed in the MLS sold for under 80,000 - 3 in Bolton, one in Essex and one in Shelburne.

I have to run to an appt right now but I'll post some details tomorrow...

David Beckett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT