U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

161 posts, read 237,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
During the last 12 months, 5 condos which were listed in the MLS sold for under 80,000 - 3 in Bolton, one in Essex and one in Shelburne.

I have to run to an appt right now but I'll post some details tomorrow...

David Beckett

Also most of your tech jobs will be located in Essex. My father is in the computer industry and has worked for IBM and now for another company, both based out of Essex. I know there are a lot of smaller, maybe less known computer based companies in that area.

Don't let people discourage you with all the negative crap they dish out, VT is a great place but it's not for everyone. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

Essex is a nice area and supports a lot of young professionals along with South Burlington. Montpelier is great as well but jobs will be far and few between.

Good Luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM

73 posts, read 128,211 times
I hate to seem like a party pooper, but I think it's important for folks not to "white wash" the realities of being a black/brown person in a place that is 98% white. While I have not had a cross burned on my front lawn, I have experienced subtle forms of racism and othering, which have definitely caused me to caution other minorities from flocking to the state. I have seen people use "coded" language to mask their racist thoughts. Just because the state when overwhelmingly for Obama doesn't mean there aren't still racial issues and concerns to be addressed. Apparently, racial profiling has been a problem here, so much so they've had to have community educational meetings to address concerns.

Vermont can be a welcoming place for some and not so much for others. It really doesn't have much to do with your own attitude. I came here excited and incredibly positive, having heard all the wonderful things about the state. I really wish that people had provided a more realistic picture of life here for a minority. I think armed with that information I might not have been so blind sided by some of the ignorant behavior and attitudes displayed by a small percentage of the population. Unfortunately, those experiences have tainted my view of the state and it seems this is the case for other minorities I have interacted with here as well.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
I really wish that people had provided a more realistic picture of life here for a minority.
I think you're doing that important service right now -- and thanks.

I'm not part of a minority that people recognize by looking at me so I cannot speak from the experience of someone who is visibly "different" from the people around them (as if any two of us were "the same").

When asking about how minorities are regarded somewhere, I think it's important to seek comments from residents of the place who actually live that reality.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,126,741 times
Default I wouldn't call most Vermonters racist, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
I
Vermont can be a welcoming place for some and not so much for others. It really doesn't have much to do with your own attitude. I came here excited and incredibly positive, having heard all the wonderful things about the state. I really wish that people had provided a more realistic picture of life here for a minority. I think armed with that information I might not have been so blind sided by some of the ignorant behavior and attitudes displayed by a small percentage of the population. Unfortunately, those experiences have tainted my view of the state and it seems this is the case for other minorities I have interacted with here as well.
I'm sorry you've experienced this. As an olive-skinned Mediterranean person I get double takes every day. No one has ever said something racist to me, but I definately pick up the vibe that I don't belong here from some of the locals. For instance, if I go into a store or restaurant that I haven't visited before, they will usually assume I'm a tourist and ask where I'm from. Not a big deal, but it can be annoying after a while.

I would imagine it would be much worse for an African American person. I've never heard anyone use the "N" word but I've heard a few people, including one young woman my age use the term "colored." Before moving here, my grandmother who grew up in the 1930s was the only person I had ever heard use that term.

Regarding your experience, I think it stems from that fact that people who have lived here all their lives have never been exposed to African Americans. Therefore, everything they think they know about them comes from TV shows and books, which sometimes feed into negative stereotypes.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,121,788 times
Regarding the race or for that matter ethnicity issue you will always have examples of friction, some real and some perceived. Here in Vermont, especially in the Burlington area, there is no pronounced overt action against folks of other races or backgrounds, but of course it exists in a more muted sense. It exists everywhere to some degree and on occasion you will get some bad vibes. Both my wife and I work with minority members and the discussion has come up and none have expressed any examples that would cause concern. I happen to be white, but have a very foreign name due to my ethnicity and suspect it might have diminished some chances for employment here as well as in other places I have lived in the past, however, I just put it off and press on relying more on my experience and qualities. Regarding employment the situation is very tough right now and our region has a high ratio of college educated folks so it makes the competition even more difficult. Both my sons with degrees will not be remaining here as they are following up leads in Virginia and Texas for reasons of both opportunity and for compensation. Finding work here or getting promotions can often involve knowing the right people and being in the right networking group as it is pretty much anywhere. My colleagues and I have seen numerous people selected for or promoted into positions not by virtue of proven experience and education, but by being favored. It's lousy, but it's life. Pay here in Vermont for the majority is lower so it becomes a trade off depending on your individual situation. Ultimately people have to realize that Vermont is a small state in terms of population and workforce so there will be only so many positions for occupations and our tax and regulatory climate is such that expectations for real employment growth are minimal.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 AM

73 posts, read 128,211 times
Quote:
Regarding the race or for that matter ethnicity issue you will always have examples of friction, some real and some perceived. Here in Vermont, especially in the Burlington area, there is no pronounced overt action against folks of other races or backgrounds, but of course it exists in a more muted sense. It exists everywhere to some degree and on occasion you will get some bad vibes. Both my wife and I work with minority members and the discussion has come up and none have expressed any examples that would cause concern.
While it's possible the minority members in your circle haven't experienced any racial issues, this does not the denote the absence of said experiences. As a white person why would you think you'd be privy to the ways in which racial problematic behavior can be both covert and overt.

Some of racism in Vermont, and particularly the Burlington area is quite covert. Again, it is not cross burning on lawns, but then that is not the only way in which covert racism presents itself. In fact a willful ignorance to the issue, suggests there are some real problems that many community members are unwilling to address.

There is definitely a difference in the kinds of racism I have experienced in Vermont versus the kind I have experience in other areas I have lived, including the deep South.

Having encountered a lot of the sentiment you have expressed by people who don't feel they need "diversity awareness training" I provide for organizations, I can assure you, what minority says to white people and what they say within their own groups around this issue are dramatically different. Many just feel unsafe expressing their feelings on the issues as not to be perceived as evoking the dreaded "race card" (whatever that means).

Again, this is not be confrontation, but to be explicit that there are issues and give a prospective AA community member a picture of how life might be for him. I think it is important to give a full and complete (as possible) picture and hopefully the voices of those who have experiences in this area will not be silenced by those who believe there is "no pronounced overt action against folks of other races and ethnicities..."

Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
Well about race here I grew up here so I know. The upper middle to upper classes can be pretty racist though it is liberal and different from the south. There is a sizable "conscious" group of whites who live here, they do things like help the African refugees--though they live in wealthy areas for the most part. There is an alternate culture that is very red-necky. Basically you can divide the state between wealthy and non-wealthy, not much in between, not many young workers.
1. The single black kid who went to my high school was openly tormented for not "acting" black enough. However, the "thugged" out black kid who moved here from NY and dealt drugs was embraced throughly. Whites here are expecting a stereotype-especially since some from NYC have been involved in the large drug economy supplying UVM which is a good school--that parties very hard. The black kid that fit in with the white culture had a terrible time oddly.
2. Similary, there was very accessible aceess to drugs like marijuana and worse in the highly rated high school -won't name it to be fair-- and a almost known,out in the open drug culture. This is due to the many wealthy whites who live here.
3. However, if you fit into the hip liberal crowd, you probably won't run into overt racism if you are 30. It's quite amazing how much racism can be an unspoken thing though. Definetly a profiling problem here as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM

459 posts, read 583,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerBlue View Post
I'm a 30 year old single black male interested in moving to Burlington. I'm from Orlando FL. Just want to get away from he hussle and bussle of city living. I was wondering about racism up there. Would I have a hard time fitting in. I'm just thinking about moving there possibly when I finish school next year. Im in the IT field. Are the computer jobs hard to get? And a big worry is finding work and th cost of living. I was just amazed on how expensive it would be for the average middle class person to live up there. Outragious lol. I really dont want to rent and I have a feeling I would be renting there for the rest of my natural life lol. There has got to be some decent priced condos somewhere around there. My limit is around 80,000. I really don't want to live in a house just yet. Does Burlington really have a high number of college students who just up and leave cause of the high cost of finding a place to live??

Yes.

There are black people in Burlington, but very few black professionals and even fewer in your age group. Most of the African-American population in Burlington is really very African-American, in the sense that they don't speak English, they speak Kirundi because they just arrived from Africa. There are also some black people here from NYC, but the majority of the NYC crowd is here for benefits, white and black and hispanic. Not a put-down of any one race, just people from NYC.

There are also very, very few computer/IT/software/programming jobs here. If you were an RN or a case manager, I would say you'd be ok. Otherwise, good luck. Dealer.com is in Burlington, and they do search engine optimization, but you have to realize that they're the only game in town and as such get well over 200 applications for every posted job.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 PM

459 posts, read 583,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
How true!

Ditto for Maine and the rest of New England.

I'd rather struggle twice as hard to live here than spend the rest of my days cow tipping in the State of __(insert name here)__.

Cheers!
g.
Um... how is VT not a cow-tipping state? Isn't this the place that brags that it has more cows than people?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,443,297 times
I moved from Vermont to Northern Virginia (which is EXTREMELY DIVERSE) when I was a 5th grader. My parents rented a townhome in a primarily black neighborhood. There were about 20 kids at our particular bus stop and all were black but three white kids (including me). I kept my mouth shut and was the the only white girl so I didn't catch as much crap as the other two - one boy in particular. They'd send him down the road in a trash can. Anyway - my point is that no matter where you go - racism is always possible. Don't let it detract from your dream. I think you'd be fine in Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT