U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,422,894 times

Advertisements

An amazing piece of news broke tonight which should be of interest to those in Burlington and actually anyone in Vermont since we all pay dearly. The Burlington School District wants voters this fall to approve a $226 million (almost a quarter billion!!) bond package. This would mean a 42% tax increase according to reports. Apparently this has caught the majority of the city council members by surprise, one, a Progressive,at that, exclaiming at the news this this will ensure a large exodus from the area. It is believed that that not even the traditionally genorous council would even dare let this get to a vote in its present state. But, as we have seen in the past where there is a will there is way get at the money via the taxpayer. What an absurd time to be proposing the most massive and costly bond proposal in our history. Stunning, but I guess not really all that surprising when you surmise that the ones who dream this stuff up know that the cash kitty is being tapped out and now is better than ever to make such a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM

16,964 posts, read 22,285,245 times
And some people wonder why I have such a distaste for public schools...

Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM

3,331 posts, read 8,790,004 times
Thats a pretty dang crazy number. If I were a Burlington resident, I know what my vote would be (assuming it gets the ballot).
I'm a Boston Magazine subscriber and there is an article in the recent issue on a very similar subject.....the cost of the new Newton North High School - $200 million for ONE SCHOOL. It's tearing the city apart.
The Best Schools 2008 - Boston Magazine

EDIT- here is the link to the WCAX news article (is this where you saw it flu?): http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8939854

Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Yeah, I actually caught the story on WCAX's televised broadcast and followed up it. So far no breaking news update from the Freeps on this, but they did along with WCAX mentioned VPIRG's latest scheme. You would think it was a full moon out tonight. No secret VPIRG is working overtime to pull the plug on Yankee, but they want haul Entergy in on fraud over claims of safe and clean energy in their advertising. I guess their rationale the process of mining uranium, making compoents for the plant, and transporting them uses conventional energy, hence creating greenhouse gases, ergo it's not "clean". I wonder if they will also attack the firms that use fossil fuel energy to create and transport the materials to create "green" energy such as solar panels, the steel and composites to build windmills not to mention the transmission lines to bring this energy to market.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Maybe I am delusional, but I kind of thought an attempt to push the largest bond in cost in the history of the city would be bigger news today, at least in the the local Freeps. I guess not as the "top" stories for Burlington readers this morning involves hydrant flushing, a porch fire, Rep Peter Welch rides a commuter bus, disc golf, and a rare prostitution arrest which the DA never prosecutes anyway since it's only a max $100.00 fine versus a stop sign violation which could cost twice that. Granted, I don't live in Burlington city, but an additional potential for a 42% tax hike in the region on education which virtually every year rises by double digits while student enrollment drops in proportion would seem to be kind of important. I guess I am used to getting such news from the prior places I have lived where when even an attempt to raise a budget went above 3% it went public right away for the public's awareness and discussion.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 8,790,004 times
The news about this bond actually came out last week, but I guess the reaction of the City Council prompted 'CAX to do a news story about it yesterday. They did have a story about it last week as well.
Here is the article in last Friday's Free Press about the bond:
Burlington schools to seek $226M bond | burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Thanks. I was out state for a week down south and did not get to check the local news on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT