U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 AM

30 posts, read 75,965 times
Default How cold does it get in Burlington?

Hi,

We're thinking of moving to the Burlington area and wondering, when does it start to get cold, how cold does it get, and when does it warm up? How warm does it get during the summers? Are the mosquitoes bad in Vermont compared with other parts of the country?

Where are the moderate and progressive areas?

What are the climate and the land like for serious gardening and small-scale agriculture (couple of acres)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,625,507 times
We usually turn our heat on for the first time sometime in October. Ig is generally November through March when we have our coldest temperatures.
During the winter it can get below zero, but it's not the norm. I'd say highs in the 20s is more the norm. Its the wind that makes it feels colder.
Summers are great. Usually in the mid 70s. It can get humid.
So...we basically have 3-4 months of summer (Jun-Sept), 2 months of fall (late Sept - early Nov), winter, (Nov-Mar) and spring (Apr-May).

Old 04-05-2007, 09:30 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,367,989 times
Those temperature ranges are not much different from New York City! Also, in New York it gets very windy in the winter and very humid in the summer.

You are on a big lake. We are on a big ocean.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 AM

1,405 posts, read 3,158,004 times
organica -

vter's info above is helpful as always.

And based on your post I suspect you'd find The Greater Burlington area very congenial. There's a great deal of passion here for gardening, local agriculture, etc. There are amazing community gardens (google " Burlington intervale community gardens" and the like,) as well as a Master Gardener program at one of the local universities. Farmers markets and the idea of local and/or organic gardening are huge here.

There's also a lot of discussion of the political/cultural dynamic at the Burlington and VT threads.

Bill Mckibben is sort of a local hero hereabouts, and if you're not familiar with his work, ...well, he's in residence just down the road in Middlebury and his work is (imho) utterly fascinating.

pm me for further info if you like...

Cheers,
David

Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM

46 posts, read 131,347 times
Hey Organica,

Here is the numbers on temperature, rain and sun.

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Vermont/Burlington/

I am a weather freak so if you need more info I would be happy to give it!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,230,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Those temperature ranges are not much different from New York City! Also, in New York it gets very windy in the winter and very humid in the summer.

You are on a big lake. We are on a big ocean.
Burlington is noticeably colder than NYC during the winter. Summers aren't that much different but winter highs in Burlington average 28F, about 10 degrees cooler than NYC.

Sean

Old 04-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Default thanks, everybody!

Definitely appreciate the info! Vermont definitely seems like the place for us. We just have to find good jobs there....

Old 04-08-2007, 08:24 PM

43 posts, read 122,459 times
Default Bill McKibben...

Freaked me out for a second...My uncle is Bill McKibben, but not the same one, but coincidently he's an artist and was a professor at a Mid Western College! Just one of those odd life things..

Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 3,158,004 times
Wow - What a coincidence...

Do you know the author Bill Mckibben's work?

Given the interests you mentioned I think you'd find him fascinating.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 AM

I just read National Geographic this morning. There is a writer named Bill McKibben in the magazine? Crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT