Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 PM

53 posts, read 179,217 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Burlington, and despite the fact that I am vegetarian, a feminist,and very very liberal: I hate hippies. I don't want to hear why green is good. I know it is, but must you tell me? Why don't you shower? And why do hippies no longer have a cause, they just smoke pot? Is Burlington over run with hippies? I have heard it is

Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Wow. I don't know of any group, in Burlington or anywhere else, who call themselves "hippies" and are defined by not showering, having no cause, smoking pot, and promoting green living (hmm, that sounds like a cause to me).

One of the very few people I know who self-identifies as a hippie is a very kind and smart woman. She definitely showers. Though young, she's self-motivated enough to have created a business for making a positive difference in the world. Admittedly, she promotes green living, which I think is a worthy mission since many, many people still don't know much about it, and people who do may appreciate support and resources. She sure doesn't seem deserving of "hate" to me. She has a cause I respect: wellness for individuals and the planet:
Healthy Hippie - Â*Welcome to the Healthy Hippie MagazineWe atÂ*The Healthy Hippie Magazine live green, healthy, and happy lives that are full of love, art, and music.Â* We inspire others toÂ*do the same.Â*Â* (http://www.healthyhippie.net - broken link)

What happened that you "hate" people you call hippies? Is it possible that without getting to know some people, you decide they haven't showered, smoke pot, have no cause, etc., because of how they look? It sounds like you could end up hating people anywhere you go if you decide from superficial observation that it's "overrun" by something you don't like.

Other people walking around feeling "hate" might readily label a liberal vegetarian feminist as a hippie.

Me, I don't go in much for labels. Or hate.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 08-16-2009 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Hippies? Not in 40years. The hippies are the executives in VT now. Their legacy is vegetarianism, feminism, etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 AM

192 posts, read 595,023 times
Self-loathing much? Hippies are few and far between these days.

Way to buy into conservative stereotypes.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Reviewing the other posts, I suspect we have a troll. Likes tattoos, hates hippies, vegetarian, feminist, wants to wear heels in the mud of mud season, concerned about masses of bugs.

I suspect she wouldn't care for the bears roaming Church Street and making meals of the free-range pedestrians. It doesn't make the news much, because it would be bad for tourism, but during spring break, when the street is choked with mud during mud season, the bears LOVE the easy catch of a tasty grazing tattooed feminist struggling along in high heels trying to avoid the stinky hippies.

Anyone like that who dares to wander out of the city is in REALLY deep trouble. Most of the surrounding towns are just huge hippie camps of conservatives with guns that shoot deadly flowers.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Or just maybe yr making assumptions abt what h font know? I DO know plenty people that describes. When I say printing green I mean pushing it down peoples throat with out doing so in a constructive driven way. Plus most of that post was sarcastic hyperbole but if that makes me a troll perhaps vt is full of no fun insulting closeminded jerks.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Oh and all those people I know like that ARE in the city

Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalolina View Post
Or just maybe yr making assumptions abt what h font know? I DO know plenty people that describes. When I say printing green I mean pushing it down peoples throat with out doing so in a constructive driven way. Plus most of that post was sarcastic hyperbole but if that makes me a troll perhaps vt is full of no fun insulting closeminded jerks.
Sounds like you will happier elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Hmmmm let's see. I'm looking at this thread cuz I'm thinking of moving. I don't think I should judge a place by people who spend their spare time insulting people on a city-data discussion forum. Maybe if u weren't so judgemental & mean ud have REAL friends. Clearly u will all be squirelled away inside on the internet (world of Warcraft anyone?) so I won't have to deal with you.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:00 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Maybe if u weren't so judgemental "

Uhhh... "I hate hippies. I don't want to hear why green is good. I know it is, but must you tell me? Why don't you shower? And why do hippies no longer have a cause, they just smoke pot? Is Burlington over run with hippies? I have heard it is"

What was that again about judgmental? I don't think I quite got your point...LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: