Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 PM

27 posts, read 97,975 times

Advertisements

Targeting Burlington right now but we want to explore around a bit. So, specific to Burlington, what's can't-miss? Restaurants, co-ops, shops, sights, sounds, etc.

Also, given time for some decent day-trips but only about 5-6 days in the state, which direction should we embark? How are the logistics of getting up to Montreal? (have passports, but aside from that... exchange money in Burlington before heading up?)

I know I'm a little vague, but we're open to exploring anything.

(p.s. not afraid of hippies)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,112,066 times
Take scenic drives. I've lived here a couple of decades and they still wow me. Route 100. Awesome. Stop and see stuff and eat along the way. Fun routes here:

Foliage Drives @Vermont's Fall Foliage Central - Vermont Vacation.com | (http://www.vermontvacation.com/seasons/drives.asp - broken link)

On Sunday we did parts of 11, 12, 13, & 14.

Another good one is Smugglers Notch/Jeffersonville. That and others here:

Vermont Scenic Drives | Vermont Scenic Byways

I'm sure there are other good sites with driving routes.

It's been a few years but the last few times we were in Canada we got the best exchange rate by just using our credit cards there.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,126,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webzter View Post
Targeting Burlington right now but we want to explore around a bit. So, specific to Burlington, what's can't-miss? Restaurants, co-ops, shops, sights, sounds, etc.

Also, given time for some decent day-trips but only about 5-6 days in the state, which direction should we embark? How are the logistics of getting up to Montreal? (have passports, but aside from that... exchange money in Burlington before heading up?)

I know I'm a little vague, but we're open to exploring anything.

(p.s. not afraid of hippies)
Montreal is about 1.5 hours north of Burlington. I just use the ATMs in town when I'm there, although sometimes I have to try two or three
as some don't take my card. No big deal. Many of the parking meters
take credit cards.

You might have to wait at the border or you just might sail through. We went last weekend and only had to wait ten minutes each way, but it appeared people going the other way had at least an hour wait. We lucked out twice.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,274,076 times
My wife and I love Burlington and surroundings and are total happy tourists.

Check out the Shoreline Cruise at Burlington, Vermont :: Lake Champlain :: Cruise / Dining Ship :: THE SPIRIT OF ETHAN ALLEN III
It's a great way to see the city and the lake is beautiful.

Church Street in Burlington is very nice, and the ECHO Lake Aquarium is great ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center at the Leahy Center for Lake Champlain | Home Page

Ben & Jerrys is a short hop away in Waterbury, also close by in Stowe is The Mt. Mansfield Auto Toll Road which will take you to the top of Mt. Mansfield, an amazing experience, just don't be on the passenger side going up, the steep drop will have you thinking about things.

Stowe Summer Attractions Open June 20 - Stowe Mountain Resort (http://summer.stowe.com/press_room/mailing_list.php/page1742/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT