U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 PM

12 posts, read 39,662 times

Advertisements

Okay, so moving to Essex Junction in the next few months. So, excited!
Stupid question, perhaps, but want to downsize to one vehicle and trade in both our current vehicles to one that is better in snow. Thinking easier to do now and move with only one vehicle across the states, but curious if tax/licensing easier to do in VT?!

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,064,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkwd0130 View Post
Okay, so moving to Essex Junction in the next few months. So, excited!
Stupid question, perhaps, but want to downsize to one vehicle and trade in both our current vehicles to one that is better in snow. Thinking easier to do now and move with only one vehicle across the states, but curious if tax/licensing easier to do in VT?!

Thanks for any info!
If you are going to live in Essex I would keep whatever car you have if it's at least front wheel drive. The amount of snow we get in Chittenden County is small compared to most of the state. All you need is a front wheel drive car with good snow tires. I drove a Dodge Neon from Brookfield (one of Vermonts snow belt) to Burlington daily for five years. I never hade an issue with my commute. Most days in the winter there will be no snow on the roads. Unless we get a big dump, the snow is removed within a six hours. Most people own cars and there are some who even use rear wheel drive. All four wheel drive trucks are rear wheel drive if they are not in four wheel drive. I can count on one hand the number of times I put my truck in four wheel drive on snow covered roads. Off roading is another story.
All you need with your current car or cars is proof that you paid taxes when you bought the car(s). You will not have to pay taxes on your car(s). If you buy a car here you will have to pay taxes. Registering the vehicles is a not a problem. The only thing you will need to do is get a yearly car inspection. They cost about 35-50 bucks per year depending on where you go. If the car you have now is in poor shape then you may want to get another vehicle if the repairs are going to be steep. The inspection policy is strict. The state doesn't want cars in poor condition on the road. You won't get your sticker until all the necessary repairs are done. You don't want a ticket from not having your inspection done. Don't ask me how I know, but it's not cheap.Moving soon - sell car before moving or wait?-janpic2-1-.jpg

Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,756,446 times
I'm not sure about that part of VT but used cars here are ridiculously priced! If you have a decent car, keep it because you will probably wind up buying something else for more money.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 AM

894 posts, read 1,286,876 times
Yup. What GypsySoul said, cars you couldn't give away in CT can fetch 800-1,000 bucks in VT pretty easy. Sad.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,528,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not sure about that part of VT but used cars here are ridiculously priced! If you have a decent car, keep it because you will probably wind up buying something else for more money.
The prices for used cars at dealers are high. They seem all right from private owners, but I haven't looked since before the recession.

The last time I bought a used car in VT, around 2004, I paid $1700 for a Mercury Tracer Wagon with >150K on it. The thing was clean and ran fantastically. Totally reliable and great in winter weather.

I'd probably still be driving that Tracer except I happened to be in Keene, NH, during the Oct. 2005 flood and it was underwater up to the door handles. Amazingly, it still ran fine but the electrical system seemed sketchy. I drove it until Feb. 2006 when our car fix-it guy bought it from us and I got the Honda Civic I now drive.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM

400 posts, read 726,384 times
I wouldn't really worry about buying a new snow centric vehicle if you're living in essex junction. The roads there are better taken care of then most of the state and honestly you aren't going to be going faster than 30 in most of essex when it snows due to traffic anyway. (always the biggest problem when it snows, not the snow itself but the traffic it causes...I don't mind going 30, but when I have to wait 4 lights rotations at every traffic light it gets frustrating). Buy good snow tires no matter what, throw a little money at that. But we live out in the sticks and only own a couple front wheel drive compacts and I generally get by fine. Sometimes I want AWD because my driveway is steep but if I lived in town I wouldn't ever consider wasting the money.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM

118 posts, read 234,791 times
To address fkwd0130's question regarding tax & licensing in VT. Dealing with DMV in VT is relativity painless compared to other states I've dealt with. The lines are usually short and the process comparatively simple. However, there are a few things to be aware of.

First, make sure you bring proof of the taxes you paid when you bought your car because VT will charge you 6% tax when you register it but gives you credit for tax paid to other states. This applies to all cars even ones you may have purchased many years earlier in a transaction that had nothing to do with VT. If you happen to live in a state without sales tax then be prepared to pay 6% for privilege of registering your car in VT.

Next, if your considering buying a car out of state after you move to VT you should note that the DMV computers here are so antiquated that none of the car dealer registration services actually work here. I purchased a number of out-of-state cars and every time I struggled through months of back and forth with DMV and the dealer before everything was straitened out. One of the cars sat unregistered for two months because the temp plates ran out and neither state would provide another set. If you must buy out of state and the dealer insists on doing the registration (typical if they are doing the financing) demand they provide a dealer plate for you until your new plates arrive in the mail. I've done this twice which made the long wait irrelevant.

Lastly, make sure you have all of your finances organized and itemized by time/state. The Tax guys talk to the DMV guys which means the day you get your new plastic they'll be looking for what's theirs.

As for what to do with your cars, my recommendation would be to definitely buy before you get to Vermont. The quality of used cars in-state is appalling. The roads here tear up cars fast and an abundance of chronically under employed means nothing is properly maintained. Selling in Vt on the other hand might work to you advantage providing the rig your selling fits into the sub $3,000 range. If your dealing with a newer car your best bet might be to simply trade it in as well financed buyers are few and far between.

And, ignore the nay-sayers. Get yourself an AWD or a 4x4 and put studded Hakka snow tires on it. Its NOT money wasted. Its money well spend on things that will save you time, money, and frustration. Its the right tool for the job. Besides that, blasting around snow covered back roads in a well equipped car is just plain fun.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM

98 posts, read 319,467 times
Thanks for posting this question-- I was wondering the same thing about us & our cars... we have a 2007 malibu & a 2001 chevy cargo work van & we were wondering if we should bring both or sell one or the other... though I think we will need both (esp the van for work)...
Thks for the tips re: saving tax paid receipts! If we paid taxes on the cars here in TX, do we still pay again up there?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,064,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groens View Post
Thanks for posting this question-- I was wondering the same thing about us & our cars... we have a 2007 malibu & a 2001 chevy cargo work van & we were wondering if we should bring both or sell one or the other... though I think we will need both (esp the van for work)...
Thks for the tips re: saving tax paid receipts! If we paid taxes on the cars here in TX, do we still pay again up there?
proof of the dollar amount of tax paid on the vehicle to any previous state (proof of tax paid is not necessary if the vehicle is over 3 years old and you have the title or proof of registration for the past 3 years), proof of paid tax is not required if you have owned the vehicle for over three years in a state that collects tax.
Two facts that you should be aware of when registering a vehicle in Vermont are:All vehicles must have liability insurance coverage in an amount that is not less than the statutory minimums. Upon registering your vehicle you will have 15 days in which to get the vehicle inspected at a Vermont Licensed Inspection Station.
This info is from the DMV website. Moving To Vermont | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,756,446 times
Will echo DMV much, much easier and friendlier than in other places I have lived. You may wait a bit (there are few DMVs) but the whole thing was pretty painless compared to say, NY where you wait in a long, long cattle call and see some pretty bizarre sights.

Decent snow tires? A must IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT