Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM

156 posts, read 438,898 times

Advertisements

Hi - my wife and I will be in Burlington on a Saturday afternoon through Sunday. Any itinerary tips? Lunch, dinner, drinks, breakfast spots? Places to people watch, shop, explore some nature?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins86 View Post
Hi - my wife and I will be in Burlington on a Saturday afternoon through Sunday. Any itinerary tips? Lunch, dinner, drinks, breakfast spots? Places to people watch, shop, explore some nature?

So little time! Others here know Burlington better and will have great suggestions. I'll throw in my $0.02. Having just dined there again, I'd say don't miss A Single Pebble. It's right off Church Street, which is great for people-watching and browsing. Just a few blocks west of Church Street is the Lake Champlain waterfront. Walk down there for fantastic views and more fun people-watching. The Echo Lake Aquarium and Science Center, also at the waterfront, is well worth a visit.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
People watching: Church Street Marketplace. Waterfront Park (if the weather is nice).
Dining: I second a Single Pebble. American Flatbread is another good option. You could do one for lunch and dinner for the other. I'm an eggs & bacon kind of breakfast eater so I like Henry's.
Shop: Church Street Marketplace & Burlington Town Center.
Nature: You'll have to get out of Burlington. Drive 15 minutes south to Shelburne Farms and walk around there. The farm itself is closed but you are allowed to walk around the grounds in the off season.
Shelburne Farms: National Historic Landmark in Shelburne, Vermont (http://www.shelburnefarms.org/comevisitus/index.shtm - broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the great tips!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,053 times
The pizza at American Flatbread is awesome, as is the beer they make. Vermont Pub & Brewery also has excellent beer (and it's practically across the street).

Last time we were up there, we ate at Sweetwaters. The food there was really good, but the beer selection wasn't as good as I would have liked. There was a severe lack of Vermont brews.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the pub tips, I love to try the local stuff when possible. Was also thinking of stopping at Long Trail Ale's brewery on the way up, although having been there before I remember the best part was eating outside on the deck and unless there is a heat wave that probably won't be happening.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins86 View Post
Thanks for the pub tips, I love to try the local stuff when possible. Was also thinking of stopping at Long Trail Ale's brewery on the way up, although having been there before I remember the best part was eating outside on the deck and unless there is a heat wave that probably won't be happening.
It might still be worth stopping by. From what I've heard, they've had some special one off's on tap lately.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,734 times
Our favorite Burlington activity is the "tour" at Lake Champlain Chocolates. Why? The samples. It is really not a tour. You sit in front of a large glass window and the activity you see is explained. Interesting and delicious. I will not tell you how many times I have done this. They have a lovely shop with chocolate seconds also. Not sure of the weekend schedule. It is on Pine Street, about 5 minutes from Church Street.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1517 View Post
Our favorite Burlington activity is the "tour" at Lake Champlain Chocolates. Why? The samples. It is really not a tour. You sit in front of a large glass window and the activity you see is explained. Interesting and delicious. I will not tell you how many times I have done this. They have a lovely shop with chocolate seconds also. Not sure of the weekend schedule. It is on Pine Street, about 5 minutes from Church Street.
We did that on our VT honeymoon. The chocolate is fantastic and you can be the factory seconds for "cheap" (quotated because it's still expensive chocolate).

I wasn't thinking tours, but visit the Magic Hat brewery. It's a funky place and they always have something good on tap there (usually better than most of their regular beers).

Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
The pizza at American Flatbread is awesome, as is the beer they make. Vermont Pub & Brewery also has excellent beer (and it's practically across the street).

Last time we were up there, we ate at Sweetwaters. The food there was really good, but the beer selection wasn't as good as I would have liked. There was a severe lack of Vermont brews.
Sweetwaters is known as one of the worst, if not the worst restaurant in Burlington.
If you want to be surrounded by hippies, go to Burlington bars. If you don't care for hippies, stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: