U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 AM

35 posts, read 30,043 times
Default Interested in Burlington, Johnson, colleges, and education issues

Hello Vermonters!

I'm probably going to move to the Green Mountain state, maybe the Burlington area, some time in the future (probably when the economy improves and I can save some money). I have a BS in biology and have plans to become a high school teacher but still need teacher certification. So I'm considering some of Vermont's colleges like UVM and Johnson. I figure doing part of my education in Vermont can be a good way to test the waters. I've done some research and have visited Burlington and Vermont many times and think it's a perfect fit for me but I'd like to hear more from people who actually live there.

If I got an apartment in the Burlington area about how long would it take to get to Johnson? During the winter?

What is the town of Johnson like? Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to visit it.

What should I expect to pay for a modest one bedroom apartment in Burlington or the surrounding towns? I was looking at some prices at Burlington Free Press some time back and was kind of hit by sticker shock. Might there be better deals at different times of the year, like late spring when college students move out? Might there be nearby towns I should look at instead for a good deal? I don't mind long commutes.

What might be a good alternative to the Burlington area in Vermont? Someplace that has some stores and things to do but perhaps less expensive? I'm just looking for a place that has the necessities but also has outdoors activities, especially hiking.

What would you say are some issues in your schools right now? I have read that Vermont is trying to recruit minority teachers. I happen to be Hispanic. Do you think your schools could benefit from having more people from different backgrounds as role models for children? Which districts/schools have more diverse students? Personally I don't want to be treated any worse or better than anyone else based on my ethnicity. But if a community feels there is some need I could fulfill I'd be glad to consider it.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM

7,783 posts, read 4,698,865 times
I'm pretty sure that Johnson and Castleton have education programs, so you could probably take the courses you need there; it's also likely that you will pay a lot less per credit hour there than at UVM.

I have a son who lives in Johnson and it's a nice little town. It's become a center for younger, artsy, alternative types, and it seems to be a nice community. Contrary to what I expected, I like it.

You'll probably find a lot of opportunities to do outdoor activities in the Johnson area. I think the Long Trail, an end-to-end hiking trail along the spine of the Green Mountains, goes through, or very near, Johnson. The college also has hiking trails, I think, and a Frisbee golf course.

Burlington is the city with the most ethnic and racial diversity, although you may also find some in Winooski and Rutland. In part because of what I hear from my wife of the racial attitudes in her small town school I definitely think the students in Vermont would benefit from more racial and ethnic diversity in their faculties.

If you're not familiar with it yet, schoolspring.com is a good source for education jobs.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Thank you Jackmccullough.

I will have to investigate Johnson more. That would be perfect if I lived and went to college there. All I knew about it was that it was a small town. Hiking is a big plus for me. My alma mater is near the Appalachian trail and I would go there whenever I could.

I think if I settled in Vermont I'd probably just have to move to wherever there was a job opening. I asked about race just out of curiosity. Honestly, I think I could be happy just about anywhere in Vermont, with or without diversity. I think I could make more of a difference up there than I could someplace with lots of people that look like me. I kind of like being unique.

With that said, I do like the occasional cultural opportunity too. I loved all the restaurants and shopping I saw in Burlington. According to Mapquest, Johnson is about an hour away from Burlington. Fairly close by my standards (I lived in Wyoming for a time, it takes forever to get anywhere out that way. )

Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM

459 posts, read 610,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverTime View Post
Hello Vermonters!

I'm probably going to move to the Green Mountain state, maybe the Burlington area, some time in the future (probably when the economy improves and I can save some money). I have a BS in biology and have plans to become a high school teacher but still need teacher certification. So I'm considering some of Vermont's colleges like UVM and Johnson. I figure doing part of my education in Vermont can be a good way to test the waters. I've done some research and have visited Burlington and Vermont many times and think it's a perfect fit for me but I'd like to hear more from people who actually live there.

If I got an apartment in the Burlington area about how long would it take to get to Johnson? During the winter?

What is the town of Johnson like? Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to visit it.

What should I expect to pay for a modest one bedroom apartment in Burlington or the surrounding towns? I was looking at some prices at Burlington Free Press some time back and was kind of hit by sticker shock. Might there be better deals at different times of the year, like late spring when college students move out? Might there be nearby towns I should look at instead for a good deal? I don't mind long commutes.

What might be a good alternative to the Burlington area in Vermont? Someplace that has some stores and things to do but perhaps less expensive? I'm just looking for a place that has the necessities but also has outdoors activities, especially hiking.

What would you say are some issues in your schools right now? I have read that Vermont is trying to recruit minority teachers. I happen to be Hispanic. Do you think your schools could benefit from having more people from different backgrounds as role models for children? Which districts/schools have more diverse students? Personally I don't want to be treated any worse or better than anyone else based on my ethnicity. But if a community feels there is some need I could fulfill I'd be glad to consider it.

Thank you for your time.
The major issue in Burlington schools is Oxycontin use. Well, Burlington High School. I hope it hasn't hit the middle schools yet, but you never know.
People in Vermont are not necessarily openly racist, but "real Vermonters" generally would prefer that you be white.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,553,797 times
The drive from Burlington will take longer than an hour. You may find a few issues that you may or may not be able to work around. During the work week or school week there will be many more cars on the road. route 15 in Essex center alone can take 30+ minutes to get to Burlington and Essex is only considered about 10 minutes from Burlington. The drive near the five corners is a horrible one at peak travel times and a not so good one at off peak hours. I believe the times on Mapquest are during traffic free and good weather conditions. Route 15 can be a busy road and it's not a big road. Get stuck behind a truck and you may want to pull your hair out. You could also take route 15 to 104 to I-89, but I don't think it would save any time. Winter weather will also slow travel times as well. Drving any distance can easily tack on 30-60 minutes in bad weather.
An option would be to live in between if you wanted to be close to both. The Burlington rental market is one of the tightest in the country. More units will be available in the spring, but the price will not go down. What many of the collage students do is rent their apartments through the summer, even if they go home. It can be that much of a pain to get the right place. You get what you pay for is really true with the market here. You can get a good deal every once and a while, but if you see an apartment that is cheap, it's most likly a dump.
Both Burlington and Johnson are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. Burlington is the quintessential collage town you will find anywhere while Johnson state is a small collage town. I would pick one or the other and live there. Decide which one meets your needs the best, both educational and personal. The cost of fuel driving back and forth will also be a financial burden. Depending on the type of car driven, the cost for fuel going back and forth 5 day per week could be close to $500-$1000 per month or more if you don't have a fuel efficient car.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

11,494 posts, read 26,014,449 times
I did a few courses at Johnson many years back. The town was, and probably still is, a wide place in the road with little more to do than wander the tiny Johnson Mill outlet, which sold woolen goods and was a remembrance of days gone by when the woolen mills there were very important and well thought of. I was not impressed by the overall level of teachers at the college back then, but that may have changed. My impression was of a dreary staid college in a dreary staid town. They did have a surprisingly good music department.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,175,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I was not impressed by the overall level of teachers at the college back then, but that may have changed. My impression was of a dreary staid college in a dreary staid town. They did have a surprisingly good music department.
In the fall I gave a talk at Johnson State in a class on civic responsibility and activism. The students were extremely engaged and seemed to know their U.S. history and discussed several international issues as well. They had a great rapport with their teacher.

Johnson had a couple of sweet looking restaurants but I didn't have time to check them out.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
The major issue in Burlington schools is Oxycontin use. Well, Burlington High School. I hope it hasn't hit the middle schools yet, but you never know.
People in Vermont are not necessarily openly racist, but "real Vermonters" generally would prefer that you be white.
What's a “real Vermonter"?

When I was in Vermont everyone seemed nice to me. I didn't get the racism vibes that I've felt in some places I've been. I have heard Vermonters can be somewhat suspicious of outsiders. But I've also heard Vermont is a forward-thinking tolerant state.

Anyhow, a little bit of racism is no big deal for me. It's everywhere. I would consider a huge metropolis with every kind of ethnicity possible but that doesn't solve the problem in my opinion since people self segregate into their own neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The drive from Burlington will take longer than an hour. You may find a few issues that you may or may not be able to work around. During the work week or school week there will be many more cars on the road. route 15 in Essex center alone can take 30+ minutes to get to Burlington and Essex is only considered about 10 minutes from Burlington. The drive near the five corners is a horrible one at peak travel times and a not so good one at off peak hours. I believe the times on Mapquest are during traffic free and good weather conditions. Route 15 can be a busy road and it's not a big road. Get stuck behind a truck and you may want to pull your hair out. You could also take route 15 to 104 to I-89, but I don't think it would save any time. Winter weather will also slow travel times as well. Drving any distance can easily tack on 30-60 minutes in bad weather.
An option would be to live in between if you wanted to be close to both. The Burlington rental market is one of the tightest in the country. More units will be available in the spring, but the price will not go down. What many of the collage students do is rent their apartments through the summer, even if they go home. It can be that much of a pain to get the right place. You get what you pay for is really true with the market here. You can get a good deal every once and a while, but if you see an apartment that is cheap, it's most likly a dump.
Both Burlington and Johnson are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. Burlington is the quintessential collage town you will find anywhere while Johnson state is a small collage town. I would pick one or the other and live there. Decide which one meets your needs the best, both educational and personal. The cost of fuel driving back and forth will also be a financial burden. Depending on the type of car driven, the cost for fuel going back and forth 5 day per week could be close to $500-$1000 per month or more if you don't have a fuel efficient car.
Thank you. Considering what you said I wouldn't try to commute from one to the other regularly now.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM

279 posts, read 667,054 times
Johnson State College is a great party school.I know,not too helpful but if you like to bake......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT