Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,388,717 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/us/03unemployed.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,474,779 times
what a tragic story........
this is so sad what is happening to good people all across this country.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
It is a sad story indeed. And I don't think the good times of 2004-2005 will be coming back.
This is the face of America now. People won't have much choice but to deal with it the best they can.

It took my son 8 months to find another part time job when Hollywood Video went belly up.
He's a teen and normally there's plenty of retail jobs for them..but nothing, the market is all but dried up. And this is Texas where they say we're in good shape.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,270,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
No sympathy for them. 99 weeks is almost 2 years! Are they saying in 2 years they couldn't find a job? That's absurd and unbelievable. These people are just lazy.

In China they have no unemployment benefits, and their unemployment is at record lows-- the people there understand: No job = No food

Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,632,035 times
I don't know about 99 weeks I have a good friend that has been on unemployment for over three years with no end in sight all done legally.

Congress will have to keep pouring in money to keep people from becoming to angry and to aware of just how bad the worlds economy really is IMO.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,474,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
No sympathy for them. 99 weeks is almost 2 years! Are they saying in 2 years they couldn't find a job? That's absurd and unbelievable. These people are just lazy.

In China they have no unemployment benefits, and their unemployment is at record lows-- the people there understand: No job = No food

Of course there unemployment is at record lows......they have all of the jobs that should be here in the United States! Not sure what part of that news story you missed. And let us know forget, they are being paid pennies. So don't get to ambitious.

The people in this country are not lazy, not the majority. Yeah, we have those who are moochers but that is nothing new. But now we have good hard working people who are struggling and holding on by their fingernails all for the sake of keeping the shareholders and the greedy corporations happy ! And no there aren't any jobs out there......guess you missed that as well. Screw these corporations.....they will eventually fall too.

I hope you never find yourself in shoes such as the lady in the new piece. It is a sad, sad place......prayers go out to her and many, many others.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Of course there unemployment is at record lows......they have all of the jobs that should be here in the United States! Not sure what part of that news story you missed. And let us know forget, they are being paid pennies. So don't get to ambitious.

The people in this country are not lazy, not the majority. Yeah, we have those who are moochers but that is nothing new. But now we have good hard working people who are struggling and holding on by their fingernails all for the sake of keeping the shareholders and the greedy corporations happy ! And no there aren't any jobs out there......guess you missed that as well. Screw these corporations.....they will eventually fall too.

I hope you never find yourself in shoes such as the lady in the new piece. It is a sad, sad place......prayers go out to her and many, many others.
From the article:

"So, in her drab motel room, Ms. Jarrin has been spending her days surfing the Internet, applying for jobs."

Applying on the internet all day for jobs will get you this many jobs: 0.
You have to actually get out there and drive from business to business inquiring if they have any openings. She sounds lazy-- or scared to commit herself to finding a job. If she did that for TWO YEARS do you honestly believe she wouldn't find a job? That is just laughable.

No jobs out there? Come on, get real. No jobs out there for lazy people who want me to pay for them to sit in their hotel room and eat pizza more like. I'm tired of paying for these 99 week unemployment people, I'm glad their unemployment is expiring. They need a good swift kick in the rear.

I'll never find myself in that situation-- because if I was unemployed, I'd scour the city looking for a job. I guarantee you I'd find one.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,817,568 times
Yeah - the chinese are SO happy to be working they're jumping off buildings -
Quote:
Foxconn, a Taiwanese company that manufactures electronics for Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Dell and others, announced a 30% increase in base wages on June 1 after a string of suicides this year at its Chinese factories.
As Economy Improves, China Labor Unrest Is Growing - TIME

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,817,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
You have to actually get out there and drive from business to business inquiring if they have any openings.
and just GUESS what they tell you when you do - Apply online at our web site.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
and just GUESS what they tell you when you do - Apply online at our web site.
I can understand some will tell you that... But a lot probably won't.

The funny thing about unemployment pay is that it is a necessary evil. It's funny because paying people who are out of a job helps contribute to unemployment in America. Those people are less willing to accept a lower paying job (as they could just keep collecting unemployment while searching for a higher paying job). Unemployment pay is necessary, but I think extending it beyond 99 weeks (almost 2 years!) would be a very bad choice for America... it would be similar to re-distributing the wealth.

I forget-- who's more capitalist-- America or China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics