Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Typical small business failure. Poor planning, failure to investigate regulations and taxes before starting. Failure to have a well thought out business model.

Plus some basic laziness. He was told he could keep selling ice cream if he kept peddling. But he wanted to sit in one spot, just not paying rent for his space.

$60 tax is low for a business. He should have done enough research to know that he would be paying that tax. He should have done enough research to learn where he could set up and where he couldn't.
Yeah it doesn't seem like he was being to serious. Also I think it's good there are some regulations in that town. Where I live in L.A it's almost anything goes it seems like. People selling random stuff on the street like cut fruit in the summer,etc. Lot's of shady stuff going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Could try San Francisco. They don't really bother the guys who stand around selling meth outside of BART. Then again, the again an ice cream tricycle is much more conspicuous than your average street dealer.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it doesn't seem like he was being to serious. Also I think it's good there are some regulations in that town. Where I live in L.A it's almost anything goes it seems like. People selling random stuff on the street like cut fruit in the summer,etc. Lot's of shady stuff going on.
In LA if he were to set up "shop" on the street he would get run out of town as well. Street food vendors pay for their sites. When you see a hot dog cart on the side of the road sitting their all day and night it is because the owner paid the city to be there. Most of those vendors "own" their street location.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In LA if he were to set up "shop" on the street he would get run out of town as well. Street food vendors pay for their sites. When you see a hot dog cart on the side of the road sitting their all day and night it is because the owner paid the city to be there. Most of those vendors "own" their street location.
There is a Food Truck that recently has been parking on my block at night time. Do they need to have a permit for this? Or can they be parked there?

In parts of L.A there isn't much regulation. Having the law and actually enforcing it are two different things depending on the part of town,sadly.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There is a Food Truck that recently has been parking on my block at night time. Do they need to have a permit for this? Or can they be parked there?

In parts of L.A there isn't much regulation. Having the law and actually enforcing it are two different things depending on the part of town,sadly.
All food trucks in LA need a permit to opperate. Untill someone complains about the truck on your street then no one will come and take care of the problem if it is a problem. My thoughts in my ealier post were toward the down town area, Hollywood, and other parts of town with lots of people working or visiting. For those trucks, carts, and other wheeled vehichles that people sell food out of in the busy parts of town, they "own" the corner that they are sitting on.

You can always visit the truck and ask them. If it is an illegal street vendor feel free to make a complaint. Personally it is an insult for un permitted food vendors to sell when so many others follow the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business