Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times

Advertisements

I've run a single-owner LLC in North Carolina for the last several years. My family and I are moving to Illinois soon, and I would like to keep my LLC a going concern. My client base is largely national or international. I don't see myself necessarily having an Illinois client base anytime soon. I work from home.

Is there any need for me to do anything with my LLC? Can I just leave it registered in North Carolina as if nothing had happened? Or are there potential negative consequences that could result?

I would prefer to just leave it alone given the expense and time involved in re-registering it in another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,417 times
If your not doing business in Il then it may not matter but you should still check with them to make sure. Illinois is a crappy place to do business so you should make sure to have everything in order. Good luck

Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM

28 posts, read 124,221 times
Not knowing Illinois' laws, it will likely need to be registered as a non-domestic (foreign) entity in Illinois. It is better to follow the law than to fight it.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
I checked with the NC corporations division this morning, and as long as I find a registered agent to give me an NC address, that should be enough. The LLC fees are significantly lower in NC, so that's why I'd prefer to keep the business registered there.

Also, for the foreseeable future, the business will not be renting/purchasing property in Illinois, will not be working with Illinois customers and clients and will not hire Illinois residents. If any of that changes, I'll do what's necessary legally, but in the meantime I think I should be good just getting an agent in NC.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 AM

28 posts, read 124,221 times
FYI, there are companies that offer to act as your LLC's statutory agent. Not very costly and in your case, worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business