U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 AM

15,833 posts, read 18,460,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Personally, I don't think protests work. They don't make the store look horrible - they make the protestors look like idiots that don't have anything better to do with their time but stand in front of a store. I can't say I have ever seen an effective protest at any store. There are better ways of getting your voice heard - through ratings sites, e-mails to friends, posts on facebook.
This. And, contact your Better Business Bureau, or the stores Corporate office and file complaints. I think this would be more effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM

21,010 posts, read 25,794,422 times
It was some years ago, but my father went down and got a proper permit and then stood on the sidewalk in front of a gas station every day for a week carrying a sign that read "Caution: this gas station might cheat you".

He said that a lot of people stopped and asked him for information. The station manager was beside himself, and kept making higher and higher offers to make my father go away, but by the time my dad went down and got the permit he was so angry that he preferred embarrassing the station to getting a refund.

So, occasionally, it has some effect. I don't have any sympathy for those labor pickets, though. For Pete's sake, just be glad you've got a job and stop expecting the public to back your demand for a big raise.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:54 AM

1,677 posts, read 3,613,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Are you serious? You won't pay them, you have no insurance, and you think you ought to protest because they don't give you 6 months of free work?

What's your sign going to say? These mean people won't give me dental work for free?

The non-profit takes in people with out dental insurance and helps them and if you're poor enough you only pay $10 a visit. I don't even have enough to buy food for me and my teenager after I cash my SSDI check each month. Yea; I was in an accident, ended up in a wheelchair and my job of over 8 years fired me for not being able to carry 50 lbs 20 feet so I had to drop the cobra dental insurance and coincidentally my next visit the head came in and told me not to come back.

I've paid 30 to 40% of my earnings all my working life and I've been dealt a crummy hand. No one will hire me because of the chair and I've got to market myself to do something in order to raise my son. So sue me!

I asked for help...

It's people like you that always give me that warm fuzzy feeling. You're a real piece of work.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:02 PM

16,572 posts, read 16,245,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Personally, I don't think protests work. They don't make the store look horrible - they make the protestors look like idiots that don't have anything better to do with their time but stand in front of a store. I can't say I have ever seen an effective protest at any store. There are better ways of getting your voice heard - through ratings sites, e-mails to friends, posts on facebook.
I agree with you too!

It's also not worth getting sued for defamation. You need to be very careful what you say about a business if they can prove otherwise or if you don't have proof. We had to sue someone for defamation against our business before. It could cost you thousands of dollars.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
How do the recent Supreme Court decisions on quasi-public locations impact protests in malls
I think protest can be effective depending on the business. A new car dealership defrauded me of thousands of dollars. I think a sign " Don't buy Vissan " would produce dialogue. In SC this is the only option - government resources did nil. The reason why car dealerships get away with fraud is they are nice people - produce tax monies; produce some community entertainment; contribute to election coffers. I would hope that every buyer who has been defrauded picked up a picket sign to make our government the tax paying peons are due for a break. THIS THIEVERY is not a product of the computer - they have been pros already in my teens in the 50's

Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,201,241 times
it generally only costs $50 to file small claims, is your day spent outsid a business not worht more than $50 to you?

also like others have said most people probably wont have a clue what your doing out there anyway. if you have a legit complaint file a bbb complaint, yelp them, google review them and if your that motivated to share your experience start a free blog on blogger. dont be a crazy person sitting outside of a business though

Old 05-11-2016, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,031 times
I complete agree with someone they think they will make a difference to it. Make it public and defend your rights it will make a difference and it is no a waste of time as long as you also make a legal complain. It is a civil right to protest in the right way and put out your ideas about the issue and a civil right to make other people know what's going on make a real difference of opinions on what the situation is. People need to know and I encourage people to defend. Of what they believe on as long it is in a legal way and defence their rights and ideas

Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,031 times
It is your duty about citizen and the right thing to do, no matter how do you look like. People wouldn't have achieved anything about speaking out loud and putting their own ideas across and defend of what they believe in. This as uncomfortable and undisered as it can be needs to be done sometimes and it's nothing to be ashamed of but proud of. My respect goes to anyone that goes outside the box and has done a admired thing beside the public opinion.. Me and thousand of people will always admire thing type of thing. THIS IS NO A WATE IF TIME BUT A ADMIRING TO DO.whrere would I be without this type of demonstration. I am doing it myself this Saturday and exercising my right to protest in the right way.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:29 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I don't know but have you tried small claims court?
Try the Better Business Bureau. Their results are spotty, but it's better than nothing.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodoak5962 View Post
Theres nothing foolish about standing up for whats right. Also to protest is to get something to happen, whether its to get others to know what a company is like or to get the company to take your complaint as both very real and valid. Did anyone think i would give my custom to that company again? No they lost me the moment they left me with having to made that stance. Also it didnt stop there. everyone who went elsewhere as a result of my protest would have continued to go elsewhere and talked about it to one other person (or ten). Each of them would have given great thought about going to that store again, this would mean they would have gone elsewhere. one man and one protest cost in my veiw a large impact in money to that store. That was two years ago and they have since closed down. was it my protest? or was it the sevice they offered to all their customers? dont matter, if it was my protest then they didnt learn, i won my protest and got my rights defended.
This is my first post, hope I did it correctly...Anyhoo, I agree and love that I am in good company. Many people don't have the backbone so they ridicule this idea, but I am proud of my decision to protest. I am going down to a used car dealer today and demanding my deposit back for the lemon they sold me. I could go on an on about the story that led up to this but I feel if he denies me then the only option is to sit outside with my signs and respectfully state my case. Thank you for your advice. You inspired me to move forward in a tactful way. I hope my results are as good as yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or