Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM

762 posts, read 1,095,525 times

Advertisements

Astronomy candles could be ‘one’ niche market. You could make contact with Astronomy clubs (websites, e-mail) to see if they are interested. Most clubs have their own emblems that represent the club--that could be a starting point. If you can shape the candle like an eyepiece that should sell. Candles that burn red should sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,244,356 times
Candle making for the home makers hit its peak in the late 1990's and has pretty much died in the last several years.

Too many candlemakers at home making lousy candles killed the market for people like you.

Many reasons it boomed was craft malls were hot and people could rent a space and sell them for nice profits.

I would suggest that you go to a large Gift or Trade show with a few very good examples of your items and see if any sales reps would be interested in carrying your items wholesale.

Let me know what town you are in and I will give you the largest gift or trade show in your area to go to.

Profit margins will be less then retail but quantity will make up for it.

Soy candles seem to still be a nice market also.

DM me and I will pass along a nice wholesale supplier for candle making supplies.

Quality of your candle, quality of the scent you use ( There are some crappy scents being sold ), the wick, burn time, labeling, styles of candles such as in a jar, pillars, votives etc needs to be ironed out before you market your item.

The Cake Candle is still popular as both Lumi-Lite and Warm Glow still do a very good business making them.

You cannot call it that but you can surely change the look and add your own catchy name.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Me and a friend have been contemplating starting a small candle making business on the side.

Equipment and supplies to make 1,000 16oz candles
--------------------------------------------------
Roughly $5,500(Initial) Exclude $1000(Melter) next batch.

Cost per candle: $3.00-$6.00
Selling price: $10.00-12.00

We were thinking of trying to make a deal with a few stores. The stores wouldn't have to purchase them but only display them and get a percentage of each sell. Of course we would sell to friends and family and maybe set up carts in malls.

Now, I'm not a business man so I know there is something we're missing behind the scenes here. I'm thinking the only flaw is the time it will take to sell them until we find reliable customers. I also figured if it wasn't working out we could just sell them at cost and just get our money back eventually.

Thoughts? Waste of time or possible?
No need to buy a large melter.

A large roaster will do the trick. I know many who used several plug in crock pot type items and did well with them also.

If you are thinking of pouring into a jar look into what they call one pour wax. No shrinkage and no need to go back and smooth over the tops.

Fund raisers at school could be possible.

Christmas season- a craft show or small spot in a nice mall with some Cinnamon, Hollyberry scented etc candles will do you well.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 AM

I see you are in NC.

Depending on where you are in NC.

Atlanta Gift Mart - Worlds Largest Gift and Trade Show with tons of sales reps looking for new innovative products to sell.

Charlotte also has a smaller gift show.

Look into Columbus Gift Mart, NY, Dallas, Boston etc.

Also, a great show in Valley Forge Pa come February I believe. They have it a couple times a year and if I remember it is cash and carry wholesale.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,011,128 times
I do know someone that started a similar business in a seasonal tourist area. She had a storefront and made candles, soaps, lotions, bath water scents and shampoos. She went the all natural route. Its been very successful. She promotes them as made in that town. I think she makes them mostly from soy. Uses only natural scents.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,203,819 times
Host: Please welcome our next contestant. He's got a B.A., an M.A., a Ph.D., and he's a BMF besides - Bob Bitchin! How's it going, Bob?

Bob: Bitchin'!

Host: Well, Bob, what are you doing with all that education?

Bob: Making candles, man.

Host: Making candles?

Bob: Yeah. I make these really neat table candles.

Host: Table candles?

Bob: Yeah. You take a table and cover it with wax. Then you set it on fire.

Host: Well, that sounds like a really hot item, Bob.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,250 times
If your homemade candles are burning worse than factory made, they weren't made properly. It takes quite some time to get the right combination of wick to wax, and even when you get it right you need to pay attention as subtle changes in wax composition or the fragrance could cause changes in burn behavior. As I make candles myself, I would put my candles up against any mass produced candles any time and anywhere. You also don't need thousands of dollars to start, I was able to buy some small presto pots and fitting them with valves. Honestly after it was all done with testing and starting supplies I spent about $800 to $1000, which was a lot for me but not bad in the scale of starting a business. You don't need nor want a large inventory of scents and other supplies to begin with. Another good hint is to start with a couple scents and then add as you see fit or as the market dictates, don't go buying a hundred scents right off the bat, you may be wasting money in the long run. Start selling online and to friends and family, you can make them as they are ordered, so you can grow as your business grows. It may not be a millionaire in the first year, but its not that hard to make money doing this.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:53 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,073,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Me and a friend have been contemplating starting a small candle making business on the side.

Equipment and supplies to make 1,000 16oz candles
--------------------------------------------------
Roughly $5,500(Initial) Exclude $1000(Melter) next batch.

Cost per candle: $3.00-$6.00
Selling price: $10.00-12.00

We were thinking of trying to make a deal with a few stores. The stores wouldn't have to purchase them but only display them and get a percentage of each sell. Of course we would sell to friends and family and maybe set up carts in malls.

Now, I'm not a business man so I know there is something we're missing behind the scenes here. I'm thinking the only flaw is the time it will take to sell them until we find reliable customers. I also figured if it wasn't working out we could just sell them at cost and just get our money back eventually.

Thoughts? Waste of time or possible?
To begin with it should be "A friend and I....."

Next you will be buying supplies in small batches and competing with companies that buy in bulk. To make a profit and pay for your time, you think you need $10-12 per candle. You are going to have to sell those candles for way more than your return. Have you priced renting space in a mall? Have you checked with stores to see what percentage they would take if they are willing to sell on consignment? You are going to have to pay sales taxes for your supplies and charge sales taxes when you sell the candles. Have you considered the cost of insurance and suitable manufacturing space? Certainly you are not foolish enough to do this in your house? Since you will be handling flammables, you better consider the cost of appropriate insurance and any licenses.

You stated that you will not be doing any experimentation. You should reconsider. Before launching any sort of enterprise, you need to know what you are doing and how to make a quality product. There are also safety concerns handling large amounts of paraffin. There is a risk from burns when dealing with hot paraffin. In addition it is flammable and the fumes are toxic. You will need to consider means for adequate ventilation and perhaps the use of respirators. You should probably consider how to differentiate your candles from cheaper mass produced candles. Perhaps special shapes, colors, scents. You should consider how are going to package your product. Boxes would be ideal but expensive. At the minimum you will need printed bags or wrapping materials with your branding and contact information.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:58 PM

32,487 posts, read 47,436,183 times
It'll be a cold day in... no wait...it'll be a dark day in hades before I ever pay $12 for a candle.

I can buy great big fat scented candles that smell really nice for $1.75. OK, that's a sale price after christmas, but regular price is $3.50. These are big candles.

The big problem with candle making as a business is that there is no where to buy cheap wax. The reason I buy the after Christmas candles is that is the cheapest source of wax I've been able to find. I don't use the candles as candles, I need the wax. How can you make money manufacturing candles when you can buy a candle retail for less than it costs you to buy the wax to make the candle?

Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 AM

102 posts, read 105,568 times
One suggestion I'm throwing away for free are altar candles in glass jars where you put on a your own beautiful / compelling label that invokes a blessing or deity or prayer. They can be marketed for custom purposes, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business