U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
19,235 posts, read 35,447,557 times
Reputation: 18437

Advertisements

my shipping triage:

USPS Flat Rate !! (you can jam A LOT of VERY HEAVY auto - fixit parts / Hardware / tools in a Flat Rate box)

FedEx Home (contract carriers, cheaper than Ground or Air)

UPS - sometimes cheaper than the PO, (especially for printed materials such as reports that need a quick regional trip). You can get a 'punch card' for savings at your local UPS store - they do all my printing via email @ $.04/ copy (using their 'Instore-cards') All collated and stapled

BTW: Arranging and printing your own Shipment at home can be done for savings on all three carriers (This does not make your local agent very happy, so in most cases it is best to use THEM to process business and reimbursed shipments, just to keep them around)

(don't forget to calculate YOUR 'time and transportation'; as for many of us rural dwellers, that expense can dwarf any savings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2010, 05:38 PM
 
Location: north of Windsor, ON
1,903 posts, read 4,594,573 times
Reputation: 643
To heck with them both, the Post Office is cheaper for pretty much anything under five pounds. PO's parcel post rates shoot way up over five pounds, but with the Flat Rate mailpieces, if it fits in the package and is under seventy pounds, you can save a bundle. Also, FedUp and UPS nickel and dime for nearly everything. Want them to come get your stuff? I've heard that's $5 a day with UPS, and the guy doesn't show up half the time where my wife works. Also, no fuel surcharges from the Post Office, but yes with the others.

As for the comment about the Post Office's union labor, the UPS Man is a Teamster (their contract is very soft on drug and alcohol abuse) and FedUp keeps screwing over its workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 16,579,242 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
To heck with them both, the Post Office is cheaper for pretty much anything under five pounds.
No its not, in general its most expensive for anything over 13 oz (i.e., can't go first-class). For example a 2lb package across the country is ~$9.00 priority or ~$8.00 parcel post, yet this same package would be $5~$6 with fedex or UPS ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM
 
13,366 posts, read 21,935,847 times
Reputation: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No its not, in general its most expensive for anything over 13 oz (i.e., can't go first-class). For example a 2lb package across the country is ~$9.00 priority or ~$8.00 parcel post, yet this same package would be $5~$6 with fedex or UPS ground.
Agreed. We get our best rates on small package shipments from Fedex and in general, customers would prefer that we ship using Fedex ground.

As for the USPS, they may have good rates at times but dealing with the personnel at the local post office is infuriating. I can take three identical packages to three different clerks and get three different prices. And if you complain about service, you'll get even worst service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 PM
 
6,387 posts, read 6,251,168 times
Reputation: 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Agreed. We get our best rates on small package shipments from Fedex and in general, customers would prefer that we ship using Fedex ground.

As for the USPS, they may have good rates at times but dealing with the personnel at the local post office is infuriating. I can take three identical packages to three different clerks and get three different prices. And if you complain about service, you'll get even worst service.
We ship primarily through USPS, and almost never go to the post office, thus avoiding the need to stand in line and pay retail shipping prices. We have two shipping scales - one small scale that weighs up to 11 pounds, and one small platform scale that weighs up to 150 pounds. With these and our computer, printer, and internet connection, we get a discounted rate, print our own postage, and schedule carrier pickups. If something needs to be out the same day, we drop it in the box at the PO.

Certain packages are cheaper to send through UPS, though they all go with crossed fingers and a murmured prayer that they don't destroy it. As someone posted upthread, it's impossible to get reimbursement when they throw a package off a truck (We have had the same experience with FedEx). Also, for small packages, UPS and FedEx use the USPS to deliver. May as well eliminate the middleman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 PM
 
233 posts, read 1,258,237 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There prices on what exactly? Sending a 10 pound package across the country is going to be much cheaper with Fedex or UPS in comparison to USPS whether you look at priority or parcel post. Now, USPS priority is a "2-3 day" service and is cheaper than UPS 2-3 service, but its not guaranteed and often takes lower than 3 days.

For international packages USPS is often the cheapest.
What I ship weighs normally less than a pond and i ship primarily in the USA. It seems to me this thread has alot of UPS and FEDEX employees or stooges on it. Like I said before I hate the fact that the USPS has all the fat ass union guys and is affiliated with the feds but it does do an awesome job for the price in my opinion. My opinion only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 PM
 
6,387 posts, read 6,251,168 times
Reputation: 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
What I ship weighs normally less than a pond and i ship primarily in the USA. It seems to me this thread has alot of UPS and FEDEX employees or stooges on it. Like I said before I hate the fact that the USPS has all the fat ass union guys and is affiliated with the feds but it does do an awesome job for the price in my opinion. My opinion only!
Well, if it makes you feel any better, USPS is now using as much contract (they call it "casual") labor as possible. As the union people retire, they are being replaced by these temporary workers who have no job security, no benefits, and can only work 3 months at a time. My husband is one of these "casual" workers right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM
 
Location: north of Windsor, ON
1,903 posts, read 4,594,573 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, USPS is now using as much contract (they call it "casual") labor as possible. As the union people retire, they are being replaced by these temporary workers who have no job security, no benefits, and can only work 3 months at a time. My husband is one of these "casual" workers right now.
Some stay on for a year at a time. They're called "Transitional Employees."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 16,579,242 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
. Also, for small packages, UPS and FedEx use the USPS to deliver. May as well eliminate the middleman.
This is not true in general, UPS and Fedex deliver their own packages regardless of size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM
 
Location: DC Area
6 posts, read 18,070 times
Reputation: 10
I usually find FedEx ground cheaper for mid weight stuff, you mileage may vary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top