Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,522 times

Advertisements

I live next to the interstate and have a good sized yard and i was thinking about building a small to medium sized billboard. I went to the county building and development people and asked what permits would be needed to build one on my property. They told me i would have to apply for a re-zoning into a business district in order to build it. Also, they said that i would probably get turned down, since i live in a residential area, even though it is outside of city limits. So, i was thinking about placing the box from a box truck in my yard and advertizing on it. This idea sounds tacky but i have seen it done in a neighboring county. I'm wondering if this would allow me to get around the re-zoning, since i'm not building anything. Also, i am still interested in building billboards in other places and am looking for advice. Does anyone know if it is common re-zone into a business district? Even farm land must be re-zoned.

Thanks for any replys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
i would suggest reading up on the regulations/laws pertaining to this in your community.

I would be careful though, as not to inflame or antagonise neighbours. It's not a facetious point, but if not done carefully neighbours may not like a billboard in full view.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:49 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,522 times
My location is behind two different rows of trees and will be low to the ground, since it is on a hill. So i dont think it will be visable. I dont think i am going to bring up the storage container idea with the county because it is a piece of property that i own and it is not illegal to set a storage container on your property. So, why should it be a problem to put a sign on it? I dont want them to tell me no, so i am just going to do it and if it is a problem then im sure they will let me know.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
I live next to the interstate and have a good sized yard and i was thinking about building a small to medium sized billboard. I went to the county building and development people and asked what permits would be needed to build one on my property. They told me i would have to apply for a re-zoning into a business district in order to build it. Also, they said that i would probably get turned down, since i live in a residential area, ...maybe you could take pictures and have maps/diagrams showing that it wouldn't affect your neighborhoods...even though it is outside of city limits. So, i was thinking about placing the box from a box truck in my yard and advertizing on it. ...might still require a business licence...This idea sounds tacky but i have seen it done in a neighboring county. I'm wondering if this would allow me to get around the re-zoning, ...check the law. May be available on line or you can go to city hall or the local library...since i'm not building anything. Also, i am still interested in building billboards in other places and am looking for advice. Does anyone know if it is common re-zone into a business district?...yes, and common to be turned down. Do your homework. You'll have to show minimum impact on your neighborhood... Even farm land must be re-zoned.

Thanks for any replys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business