Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,583,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I've been inside that store twice. And regretted it both times. It's just so ::shudder:: words can't describe.

The fascade, the lighting inside, the layout - the whole thing screams ghetto. Like I half expect a drive-by on the way in. Maybe that's their point? Seems to alienate the marketing they had a few years ago with the blue light dude and bringing customers back into the store.

Even when they managed do to something right (the doubling of coupons up to $1.98 for a week every couple of months), they go ahead and figure out a way to completely screw it up. The coupon doubling thing actually got me in their store, but then they started making up more and more rediculous rules and requirements, that I haven't bothered in almost a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,524,457 times
I like (almost love) Wal-Mart. Literally everything I need is in one trip with different choices. I am limited at different stores to one or two brands sometimes. There is just a bunch of Wal-Mart haters everywhere on this forum. I worked at Wal-Mart before and it was no different than any other job. I wasn't paid minimum wage either. I made $10.50 when I started there and that was in 2001 when I was still a teenager. Wal-Mart hires so so so many people that of course everyone is not going to fell they were treated fairly. Yes Wal-Mart is about money. What business isn't? As a business owner myself I am all for eliminating (not competing) my fellow businesses. Although I know that won't be the case as anyone can open a business and compete, that's the beauty of the USA. That brings me more money, which I welcome and spend on vacations out of state and on foreign cars. (Now how that helps out the local community I don't know)

I find that people just want to feel good about themselves and having a reason to do or not do something satisfies that need. Target can make 99 political decisions that a person supports or has no objection to but as soon as they make 1 they don't agree with, then people badmouth Target and/or choose to not shop there. And like it or not Wal-Mart does do things for the betterment of the environment and buying more local (mainly produce) and makes sure it reaches the news so they can look good. I've seen that trend with them in last two or so years.

Stop polluting the OP's thread with your negativity about something they obviously like. The OP didn't ask for your opinions in that manner.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Isn't the purpose of any business to reduce or eliminate competition?

I just don't understand why people get on their high horse about "I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart because" yet everywhere else they shop is just as guilty as Wal-Mart.

Isn't that the truth.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 35,527 times
LOL at how serious people are with this anti-Wal Mart “thing”. It’s simple if you don’t like it then don’t shop there (same as McDonald’s vs. Burger King)! And of course they would build a Wal Mart across from Target (it’s simply competition), same as them building CVS and Walgreen’s across from each other. I shop at both Target and Wal Mart but more often Target because the lines are shorter and I can get in and out faster. Being that I shop at both I’ve found that some of the exact same items can be more or less in each store. I do like the fact that Target supports local schools (parent of elementary student), but I am curious about the new Wal Mart store and will stop by. I’m not ashamed or too “uppity” to “admit” I shop at Wal Mart and like to spend less! GEESH!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

644 posts, read 1,499,332 times
Done with Walmart.. Thgey sold the shooter the 30 round ammo that killed the 6 in AZ. Time to take a stand, if all Americans did not shop there well guess what they might stop selling said ammo.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,647,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
SRY,,,can't let go...must be the OCD..

They have one vehicle registered in Wake? Where do we suppose all the big trucks are registered?
And they paid $170K tax on $18 million dollars of real estate? What is the tax base in Wake? It's gotta be less than $.75 per 100 if they are paying $170K in taxes?? Because at $2 per $100 it is $360K?? unless commercial tax is the same as residential?
The big trucks are probably registered in Arkansas, where they are legally obligated to be registered. That has nothing to do with the "zero tax" or "tax rebates" you claimed.

I don't know what to tell you regarding the tax rate. One of my neighbors owns their own business, a very small shop. I checked their tax rate and it is identical to the hundreth of a penny.

This is just the tax on the real estate, they also have to pay property tax on the personal property (furniture, fixtures, building improvements, etc).

Don't believe everything you hear or read online.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

521 posts, read 1,596,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Done with Walmart.. Thgey sold the shooter the 30 round ammo that killed the 6 in AZ.
Not sure I follow your logic. Are you suggesting Walmart should have refused to sell him the ammunition? On what grounds?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,583,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Not sure I follow your logic. Are you suggesting Walmart should have refused to sell him the ammunition? On what grounds?
Just ignore the fuzzy logic and keep on walking.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,647,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Not sure I follow your logic. Are you suggesting Walmart should have refused to sell him the ammunition?
Then we would have posts "I'm done with Wal-Mart. They refused to sell ammunition, violating our constitutional rights. Time to take a stand".

Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,799,187 times
This thread really, REALLY wanted to be a local discussion, but since it kept wandering off in the direction of a debate about WalMart in general, I'm moving it to a more appropriate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business