U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM

326 posts, read 469,907 times

Advertisements

Like for a job in retail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,096,038 times
People who could spell manager.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 27,380,976 times
BTDT

A lot depends on the job. In general; interest in working (a lot fill out employee apps just to meet unemployment requirements), honesty, ability to show up on time (own transportation), ability and willingness to follow basic instructions, general appearance, required documentation available, decent references, reasonable education. Some jobs have legitimate age requirements - some cities have (illegal, IMO) curfews on youngsters, especially if they attend school.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM

721 posts, read 598,905 times
1. Living close by
2. Not having kids
3. Knowing a bit about the company (doesn't have to be extensive knowledge)
4. A certain spirit of unconventionality....no "yes, Boss!" types
5. Proper spelling and grammar
6. That almost imperceptible simpatico that tells me we're on the same wavelength.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,056,498 times
If it's a customer facing sales position then I'm more interested in their people skills, attitude and their appearance.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

913 posts, read 1,104,150 times
It really comes down to responsibility, knowledge and most importantly attitude. If other employees do not enjoy working along side of you, chances are pretty good that customers are not going to enjoy the experience either.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM

8,603 posts, read 9,981,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
1. Living close by
2. Not having kids
3. Knowing a bit about the company (doesn't have to be extensive knowledge)
4. A certain spirit of unconventionality....no "yes, Boss!" types
5. Proper spelling and grammar
6. That almost imperceptible simpatico that tells me we're on the same wavelength.
For some reason I don't think I's want to be on the same "wavelength" with you.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 AM

3,294 posts, read 4,381,151 times
I was a hiring manager for several years in retail.

The things that threw up red flags after a while for me were:

#1 They were very young, but already had "babies"
#2 They were on food stamps or other types of "assistance", other than unemployment
#3 They had worked for a VERY SHORT time at several other retail establishments
#4 They did not have their own transportation
#5 Sloppy or dirty, tattoos showing, too many piercings, wild hair colors, smelling like cigarette (or alchohol),
#6 They had been in trouble with the law
#7 Too quiet, not asking any questions at all, saying "I'll take anything, I just need a job"
#8 Bad mouthing or blaming past employers or fellow co-workers.

Now, to be honest, several things I have mentioned above, by law, are not supposed to be taken into consideration when making a hiring decision. I just found other critera for disqualifying a person if they had some of the above issues.

But after awhile, I learned the hard way, that a lot of the criteria I mentioned above translate into lack of personal responsibility and accountability, which affect a persons overall work ethic. Not always, but many times. They just can't be counted on to be there, be on time, and do what is asked. Too much "calling out" and wanting off for this and that, victim mentalities, family "problems", texting on the job, etc. And I got sick and tired of dealing with it.

The "green for go" signs were:

- Going to school or taking classes of any kind
- Outgoing and relaxed while being interviewed, asking legitimate questions about the job, smiling easily
- Have own transportation
- Dressed neatly, conservatively
- Well spoken

I got to the point where I preferred to do extra work myself than deal with the first set of types. Of course, I don't know what these retail places think they're going to get these days when they are only offering low-pay, part time jobs with few hours and no benefits.

Glad I'm NOT in retail anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business