Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times

Advertisements

Is the SBA worthwhile for America? What are they good for? Are they a wasteful agency? Are all small businesses required to file with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Is the SBA worthwhile for America? What are they good for? Are they a wasteful agency? Are all small businesses required to file with them?
It sounds like you have had expectations when dealing with the SBA that weren't fulfilled?

The SBA is worthwhile for America. Are the current people running/working it doing the best job, maybe not. In my mind a person should contact the SBA and within a few months be ready to open a business or have found out they aren't right for owning a business.

Every agency that is not fully automated is wasteful. But, it takes time to automate any organization. I know when I was involved with SCORE there were mentors who didn't want to use a computer to remit their counseling information. They wanted to stick with paper forms.

I don't know of any reason a business would be *required* to file with the SBA. A business contacts the SBA if they *want* to use the services offered.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be funny, but what does the SBA do?
No need to file with them they are a government Advocacy for Small Businesses, and primary serve the roll of BACKING Small Businesses in the lending process (They do not lend, they provide guarantee for banks). Lending criteria is no less (and often more) than a conventional loan, but they do get the GOVERNMENT involved with criteria to serve minority classes. Thus they can be construed to be an evil and wasteful Gov entity. In actuality they are pretty important and a key player in keeping the small business economy in decent health. Granted there is probably some abuse and waste, but as claimed...

Small Businesses:
  • Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms.
  • Employ just over half of all private sector employees.
  • Pay 44 percent of total U.S. private payroll.
  • Have generated 64 percent of net new jobs over the past 15 years.

Frequently Asked Questions
Office of Advocacy - Frequently Asked Questions - How important are small businesses to the U.S. economy? | SBA.gov (http://www.sba.gov/advocacy/7495/8420 - broken link)

SBA is a pretty broad agency and offer many services beyond guarantee for lenders.

Kind of a 'consumer protection agency', educational, and research arm for Small Business. They are not a hatchet agency that are regulating or controlling small businesses in any way.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
learn just learn!!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
It sounds like you have had expectations when dealing with the SBA that weren't fulfilled?
No, Rich_CD. I was curious because lately there's so much chatter about government waste. I never knew what they did but I've known of them for decades (by name)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business