Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 AM

26 posts, read 294,160 times

Advertisements

Alright heres the deal my best friend Brandon has been recruited into this company named world financial group, and he tried to get me to join but i turned it down and now hes turned his back on me, his other friends and even his damn family. I feel like hes been brainwashed but I dont know what to do, anybody else ever heard of this company?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Do a Google search for World Financial Group. It looks as if it's one big illegal scam.

Perhaps your friend has discovered that he has been had and he's too ashamed to face anyone.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Ya, that sucks for everyone. Unfortunately, there is a certain brainwashing component to the strategy of MLM companies like WFG, Amway, Quixtar...ewww..., etc. As for getting your friend back, it's going to be tough. I'm sure WFG has bombarded him with informational videos and inspirational cds to guaruntee his success. Well, the truth is that the people who make money are the ones selling the "success tools".

For example, Joe makes an MLM company. 10 people want in so they buy the tools, which practically tell you nothing, and they start there businesses. Joe makes 200 dollars off each of these shmucks, for a total of $2000. Joe then tells each of his pawns to recruit more members, telling them that the business is "expanding" and they need new hires. LOL. Moving on, each pawn recruits 10 guys, for a total of 100 new hires. 80 buy the tapes and videos, putting another $16,000 in Joe's pocket. 20 are in tune with reality and say, "no way that's a scam, I can make this business work without the tapes". Now, in actuality, it doesn't matter if you bought the tapes or not, these "businesses" do not work." What I've found in my research is that you get some sort of a high from having them which makes them hard to let go of. Think about it. When would you see a WFG commercial. Probably 4am after a long night of cigarretes and cold pizza. Perfect target for last resort, run out the bank account business ventures. These people love the feeling of "owning their own business" at first. Ya know, handing out business cards, using a Bluetooth device lol, etc. By the time they realize they are being scammed, it's a little too embarassing to come out. I mean, WFG even requires you to PAY $200 DOLLARS TO JOIN THE COMPANY, CLAIMING THE FEE IS FOR A BACKGROUND CHECK. Well, it's good to know that your friend isn't working with a group of criminals. Well, maybe they're just white-collar criminals.

Bear with me here, I know I'm ranting.

It's like, one day the guy's wearing his Hickey Freeman suit walking down the street, scrolling though his contact list on his Blackberry, the next day he's putting on a Def Leppard t-shirt to go work a shift at TJ-Maxx. It's not exactly an easy transition for someone whose been exposed to the guarunteed success of these MLM companies. So they keep up the act, and keep hoping that it will work, looking for change in the sofa to afford the next month's edition of inspirational DVDs.

It's funny, becuase Aegon(owners of WFG), Quixtar, Amway, etc. are businesses, they release annual reports. They actually divulged the information that the average "independent business owner" made a whopping $1,400 dollars. Granted it was in the 4point Times New Roman font at the waaaay bottom of the page, but oh, it was there. Now clearly, to regular Joes like you and I, $1400 a year is beyond our wildest dreams money. Or wait, no, it's about 15,000 under poverty. LOL. That's not good.

Anyway, I think I've said what needs to be said. As for your friend, I really don't know how to help you other than to try to hit him on the head with a blunt object, hoping that he won't remember anything about WFG when he regains consciousness. Maybe have him watch the Dateline episode on Quixtar. It can be found on YouTube.

On the bright side, if you make $1400 your first year, you could liquidate any remaining bank accounts and possibly lease a Rolls Royce like the one in the WFG commercials for, well, about a month.

Matthew

Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
[quote=WallStreetWarrior;1125278]

Aegon(owners of WFG), Quixtar, Amway, etc. are businesses, they release annual reports. They actually divulged the information that the average "independent business owner" made a whopping $1,400 dollars. Granted it was in the 4point Times New Roman font at the waaaay bottom of the page, but oh, it was there.

I pointed out exactly the same thing to a friend who had other successful businesses and had gotten involved in an MLM, and I had a hard time convincing him. The annual report also showed the company was buying expensive real estate, signing it over to the founders who were in turn renting it back to the company for outrageous sums. He was obligated to buy so much a month too. It's like the lottery, they prey on people's hopes.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 390,039 times
Default Hi there!

I've just signed on with WFG. I saw it as they presented it. Did some research of my own. Went to convention. They were consistent in what they said the first time. They really want to help people. I signed on because I wanted to help people and while doing that have financial freedom someday. It's hard work but it's simple. I checked on the pyramid stuff too because my husband was skeptical about it. It's not at all one. In fact if you want to know more about it you should talk to the MD and ask questions otherwise you might miss out on something huge. That's just my advice.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Yea, they sucked you in pretty fast huh? Well...another one lost gives me a bigger share of the pie I guess.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 390,039 times
you guys didn't really think that all the people they recruited will do a good job of it right? I mean people quit everytime because they didn't they can make it work. Or for whatever reason. That's why the average is low.

And then the joining fee is $100 not $200. I joined the company. They looked into our portfolio to see if there is a "gap" somewhere. Thanks to my husband's good investment sense they didn't anything. So I got "hired on" and I didn't even have to buy anything. But I'm learning a lot as a process though. So, I know when I have more to invest, Iknow where to put it so it's protected from taxes and inflation.

oh and by the way...the next time you see WFG commercial it will be during a PAC 10 commercial. not late late at night when nobody is watching.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Um...what?

Sorry, I really have no idea what you're talking about now.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake_Lanier_Man View Post
Alright heres the deal my best friend Brandon has been recruited into this company named world financial group, and he tried to get me to join but i turned it down and now hes turned his back on me, his other friends and even his damn family. I feel like hes been brainwashed but I dont know what to do, anybody else ever heard of this company?
Some people will believe anything.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Good post WallStreetWarrior....Just for laughs I'd like to share my close call with a quixtar business opportunity.

I had some down time at work and one of my co-workers and I were talking and he said he's got his own business on the side and there looking for new people. The first thing that popped into my head was it's got to be amway. Then I thought it can't be my co worker was a brite accomplished guy. So we went on to set up a meeting at my house to discuss it with me and my wife.

So he and his wife come over with a brief case and pull out a video tape and ask to play it. The tape shows a guy driving a Lamborgini and pulling up to his mansion. Then my co-worker looks over to me with a giat smile and say's "aren't you excited!!!"....I knew right then and there it way Amway-Quixtar. I wanted the floor to open up and suck me in!!!...lol....He told me if we signed up right away we would be able to go to Virginia for the "spring leadership meeting".

We ended up giving them a firm no. I then went on to do a little internet research. It was just like WallStreetWarrior said one big scam. My sister told me she knew someone who got involved with an mlm group and lost a lot of money and got stuck with a whole bunch of useless merchindise.

If I were you Lake_Lanier_Man I would urge your friend to do his research before he get involved. You may be doing him one of the biggest favors of his life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business