Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Panning for gold is a fool's waste of time. Why do you think so many people came out west during the gold rush and were disillusioned afterwards?
As we saw on the recent Gold Rush TV show, mining for gold is something everyone think they can do and few can actually really do so. Probably a lot of those people really didn't have a clue. It's not for everyone.

My now deceased mountain man uncle, used to pan for gold out west and was very successful. He was a rock hound as well and knew his geology. He wasn't a big spender of money though. I remember a camper van on his property filled with junk and in it he pulled out a cardboard box and in it was sacks of gold flake, dust and some nice nuggets. When he wasn't working odd jobs, he'd sell some gold off for money. But it wasn't about money to him really, he just liked rocks and minerals.

He was going to teach me all the tricks, but he got ill and by the time I moved out there, he had passed away. Apparently his dodgy friends raided his old mining shack and trailers after he passed, so I am sure someone made out well. Too bad really, he was an interesting character and wish I could have spent more time with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

764 posts, read 1,556,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You'd be better off going to the Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas on vacation and walking around there for a week or so and picking up diamonds from the ground.
It is illegal to remove anything from a state park. Tsk Tsk Tsk

Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Did you read the link?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post

Wrong in this case Tsk Tsk Tsk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business