Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times

Advertisements

I used to have my own company fixing computers. But I got out of it because of being undercut ($10/hour is unfortunately standard) by people who really didn't know what they were doing, the proliferation of cheap low quality parts available at Fry's, and a general lack of understanding in my more rural area about what exactly I did and why, it wasn't worth my time. I ended up getting a job with a fairly large company at $20/hour and going from there.

Granted, that was over a decade ago and I did make mistakes too, so it might be different these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Granted, that was over a decade ago and I did make mistakes too, so it might be different these days.
Computers still have such a low price that repair is probably not worth it. If the computer is more than a year old you'll have an old OS on it, so why repair it?

The only way to make money in repair would be to have large maintenance agreements with businesses. If you could get say $10K+ per one year agreement then you could probably make a buck.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 9,443 times
Default Experience is the key and is only obtained through failure and success.

I been on the computer business for the last 18 years, I had seen a lot of up and downs and this is what I could tell you from my experience. Back in the days it was easy to sell and make a profit through ebay or your own website, but those days are gone with Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect in business also eBay is not what it used to be. With the computers new prices today, easy recovery with the push of a button, smartphones and tablets the computer shops are out of business.

-Reselling hardware and make a profit is a dream this days. You simply cannot compete against Amazon, Newegg or TigerDirect, even they lose money on the sales and if somebody wants a new computer they can just walk to any Best Buy store and walk away with a $250 new computer to start paying in a year with 0% interest

-Midsize and Large companies purchase directly from distributors Ingram, Tech Data, etc.

-There is a opportunity to make good profit even a living by providing your services to local business, small retail, they do really need help and you fit well if you are good maintaining small networks, workstation and simple servers but finding this business takes time to build trusted and you have to get rid of the ones that do not valued your services. However you may do better doing IT for a single company making $20+ with less headaches, medical insurance and secured pay check.

-You can also become a contractor but this takes experience that you can get by working on Data Centers.

-So at the end experience is the key and is only obtained through failure and success.

Last edited by typeav; 11-08-2014 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM

820 posts, read 1,208,957 times
Managed IT services is how you make money servicing computers nowadays.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:40 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times
yeah, i figure that computer repair even in like a best buy store or something is just extra cheese for the stores bottom line

most people realize that just like tvs and everything else computers have become "throwaway" items

you can buy a new $200 laptop around this time of year

i still see lil mom pop computer repair shops around though, i think alot of em also do cell phone repair /ipad screen repair too...i think that is where they make money

Old 11-09-2014, 12:10 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
You don't have to get an EIN or TIN number. Depends on if this is a hobby and sidehustle or if you want to start a real legit business. I have a buddy who does pretty well doing computer repair remotely for older people usually pretty simple isues, he doesn't have a real business or EIN/TIN number but does a fair amount of business.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:33 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am interested in starting a PC repair business.

This will be done locally in my area and also from home as remote assistance.

Do I need a EIN or should I use my social?

How can I get a company name?
You're not gonna get rich doing that. Just a little extra income -- I mean a little!
With PC's getting cheaper and cheaper this is a dying business. Too much brain power for too little pay. A step above being a fast food worker on the pay scale.
Also there's only so much you can do over the phone to fix a computer. What happens when a bad hard drive is detected? How do you fix that over the phone?

Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am interested in starting a PC repair business.

This will be done locally in my area and also from home as remote assistance.

Do I need a EIN or should I use my social?

How can I get a company name?
Been there, done that. You can/will make money if you do this legitimately and land business accounts and support contracts.

Yes, decide upon a name, go to your county clerks office and register your business name, then register your company name as an LLC (LegalZoom | Start a Business, Protect Your Family: LLC Wills Trademark Incorporate & More Online can help guide you through the process). None of this is complicated. If you want to trademark your company name go to: United States Patent and Trademark Office and after searching to make sure no one else has a national trademark for that name, submit an application for it.

I encourage you to hire a business attorney if you have the money, they can actually form the company for you and to advise you each step of the process and I also encourage you to hire a really good CPA that will meet with you to make sure you are set up tax-wise. The CPA in particular will easily pay for themselves at tax time. The business attorney may not pay for themselves, however, if you ever have a problem, it is darned nice to have someone that can help you out with just a phone call. The phrase I've heard is that "you aren't in business until you have been sued".... I have never faced a business lawsuit but I have had to use my attorney many times, definitely money worth spending to get one.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM

587 posts, read 915,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
You should find customers first. Don't waste time and money until you know you find some customers. If you can't find some customers then you won't *turely* have a business.

Also, ask yourself who your market is. If a computer costs $500 or less, how much can you charge to fix it? If you charge more than $100 to fix a computer that has used up it's 2 year warranty why would someone not just go buy a new computer?
I ask myself the same question and have come to the conclusion that a lot of people would rather spend $100 to fix something that would cost $300 to replace. A friend spent $200 to fix a laptop that was two years old (and not expensive to begin with). It makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business