U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM

1,096 posts, read 2,338,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
How do you think antique stores make money?
I'm assuming your directing this question to me? They make money by buying stuff and reselling it.

Have you ever watched pawn stars? A guy brings in something, expert says its worth 20k, pawn shop guy offers like 6k take it or leave it.

If your buying directly from the guy bringing it in you can offer the 6k and make some money, if your buying from the pawn shop expect to pay 10k because its been marked up.

If you want to make money in resale you have to get stuff before its been marked up several times by several different people.

Also, when yo have a brick and mortar store people expect to pay more, you get retail prices. When your just trying to resell on craigslist everyon is looking for a dea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 PM

262 posts, read 263,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
It's not illegal but got some food for thought. The resale shop owner is in business to try to make money right? He also has a brick and mortar store he has to pay for rent, electric, employees, taxes.

If you buy from a resale shop owner your paying all that markup, why not try to get goods before they have already been marked up by 2-3 people?

Go to garage sales, people arent' trying to make a big profit just clear some crap out of their basement and you'll surprisingly find some good stuff.

How about storage auctions? You buy a whole unit full of stuff for a few hundred bucks and have all that stuff to flip. Could be some household crap could be electronics, gold, collectibles, anqiques, etc. You can find out about upcomming auctions at www.freestorageauctionlists.com. You can find some pretty good stuff at these auctions, if you have watched storage wars you know what I mean though that is a big exaggeration over what its really like.

My point being dont buy from a store buy from garage sales, craigslist, storage auctions, police auctions, etc.
I am well aware of this. Some "thrift store" items are getting priced higher than the original retailer.

I do take advantage of thrift stores on sale days. Thank you for reinforcing this, though.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Status: "Spiders DO have feelings and a sense of humanity." (set 9 days ago)

7,882 posts, read 5,164,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I have not understood a single post of yours. How about logging off and studying remedial english?

Hahaha, LMFAO. I know exactly what you mean.

I sometimes read posts that are 1-2 paragraphs long and I have no idea what message the post is SUPPOSED to convey.

I am not the brightest person, probably have an IQ below average.......but.....erm, this board must have its share of TAHR-DOES

Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
176 posts, read 157,419 times
Prof-reading is underrated ........

Originally Posted by JohnHAdams
I have not understood a single post of yours. How about logging off and studying remedial english?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,839,974 times
I see small deli store owners buying things on sale at the supermarket cheaper than a distributor charges them,bread,soda,potato chips etc and then sells them at a higher price.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM

38,741 posts, read 36,383,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I see small deli store owners buying things on sale at the supermarket cheaper than a distributor charges them,bread,soda,potato chips etc and then sells them at a higher price.
That's true. My stepdaughter once had the concession at a ballpark, and could check out the flyers and drive around to supermarkets and buy her coke at retail cheaper than from the distributor. It's a common loss leader.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Grocery store has what they call loss leaders, stuff they sell at a loss to get you in to spend other products with larger markups.

You can't really use that business model in a resale type business or you will go out of business.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 PM

7,673 posts, read 4,148,862 times
I would not say that this is necessarily always "perfectly legal"... it can actually become a really gray area. It really depends on the item you start with, the copyrights and patents governing that item, what you do to it, and how you resell it.

Let's say you are the titled owner of a car you bought in full some years ago. You "fix it up" by putting some fancy tires on it and a better speaker system. Can you resell it for whatever the market is willing to pay? Sure...and people commonly do.

But now to take another example: what if you take an Apple iPad and you then had the technical know how to trick it out to be able to perform some feature that it wasn't originally designed to do - and you resell it on eBay under a different name as your creation. Do you think you're going to have a horde of Apple's lawyers breathing down your neck in no time? I sure bet you would...

Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I would not say that this is necessarily always "perfectly legal"... it can actually become a really gray area. It really depends on the item you start with, the copyrights and patents governing that item, what you do to it, and how you resell it.

Let's say you are the titled owner of a car you bought in full some years ago. You "fix it up" by putting some fancy tires on it and a better speaker system. Can you resell it for whatever the market is willing to pay? Sure...and people commonly do.

But now to take another example: what if you take an Apple iPad and you then had the technical know how to trick it out to be able to perform some feature that it wasn't originally designed to do - and you resell it on eBay under a different name as your creation. Do you think you're going to have a horde of Apple's lawyers breathing down your neck in no time? I sure bet you would...
This person obviously isn't looking to reprogram ipads, they wanna buy an old table at a resale shop, paint it or sand it and varnish it and resell it on consignment, at a flea market, on craigslist. This is not illegal, there's no legal complications. Your kidn of makign this a lot more complicated than it is.

I don't think it can be done with the new xboxes, at least not easily but iwth the old ones people would mod them to where you can play burnt games and do some other things. Tons of people were selling it on ebay and craigslist. They didnt try to claim it as their own creation and call it the zbox 2k2. They sold it as a modded xbox and I dont think Microsofts lawyers coudl care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business