Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

I use it to keep up with people I know. It makes it a lot easier to stay in touch, share pictures, etc. I don't see the problem with Facebook if it's used properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
I sure miss old Myspace. It was very secure and personal. Its now really geared to the young folks. When it comes to Facebook, I guess we all need to use it , to keep in touch if nothing else.
Myspace was A place where you could reflect, recall your life story for the whole world to enjoy. I enjoyed the blogs. It was very personal, Facebook is not like that at all.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I've never had a FB account and never will. The idea of sharing everything about myself with everyone I know has no appeal to me. I certainly don't feel like I've missed out on anything.

I do laugh though when I get emails from Facebook from people I haven't talked to in years- its funny to think that my email address must still be in their address book and they don't even realize that they've given FB access to everyone in their address book.

FB will eventually go away- human nature is too fickle to stick with anything too long. People will get bored with it and another site will eventually take its place.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
I had a Facebook account with lots of information on it for about 2 and a half years but deleted it about a year ago due to the fact that I spent too much time on the stupid thing and it's just a big waste of internet space in my opinion. The way I see it, if someone needs to contact me, they can call me, text me, or email me. It gets overwhelming when you have 57 different ways to get in contact with someone.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I have never had an account with any social networking site and hope I never have to. That said, I do get annoyed when I try to access a restaurant's menu or a music venue and their website directs me to their Facebook page! Do businesses not recognize or not care that there are plenty of people out there who don't belong to Facebook??? If a business cannot provide their information on their own website I will go elsewhere. I cannot understand why people don't have more concerns about privacy on the web.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I use it to keep up with people I know. It makes it a lot easier to stay in touch, share pictures, etc. I don't see the problem with Facebook if it's used properly.
Yeah. That's my take on it.

Maybe I just have interesting friends?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never used facebook and has no use for it. First, even if I had a page or account or whatever, I would never check it. Then people would start telling me in person or text they contacted my facebook page and I hadn't responded. Then you get people that never call you or make any effort to be friends with you, but want to be "facebook buddies". I often have people ask me, "are you on facebook or are you going to get on facebook?". I basically just tell them no and if they want to email me fine, or call me I'm fine with that. Also, I really don't care for the so-called founder, Zuckerberg...so I'm anti-facebook.

I do agree if facebook is used correctly it can be a good communication tool, especially with people that live quite a distance away. I just have no need for it or care. I don't need something just because its popular. Also, a lot of my friends and some family members that had facebook are sick of it and have actually canceled their accounts.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I don't use Facebook because i don't have the want or need. my wife does with her firends and our relaitves. Its all upto the perosn as is the security liie nayhtig else including any site or cellphne usage. When you transmitt it can be foud if wanted.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
I have it but don't use it often. Its a great way to stay in contact with people especially family who are not near.

FB is also now one of the top attacked sites by hackers..

Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default Facebook is a tool - we can use it as we see fit.

I agree with Dazzleman and his second here. You can put as much or as little into your profile information as you want to, just like here on CD. Just because some people are always posting mindless trivia doesn't mean you have to also, or even that you have to read the trivia of others, as you can eliminate their posts from appearing on your wall. If you post that you are about to leave on a two-week vacation and your home is broken into as a consequence, the stupidity is on you. You could have waited to talk about your trip until after your return. Some common sense is called for.

I have found Facebook to be a marvelous tool for reconnecting with others from the past, for example former colleagues who have moved away. Not your cup of tea? Fine. But what I don't quite understand is the vehemence of the anti-Facebook postings here. One person even said it was EVIL without explaining why he thought that. Such a statement is totally meaningless without an explanation behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business