U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,697,509 times

Advertisements

Our situation is probably a bit different, but my wife and I started our own business about ten months ago. It's more of a "cottage industry" because it is based on her creative skills and her knowledge of her business. I am just the muscle and the accountant. I carry stuff around and bully people into doing what we need them to do. In my spare time I also keep track of the numbers and legal stuff. We're both holding down regular jobs at the same time, so we pretty much get no sleep at all.
I have to tell you, though, it's fun as hell. We've dropped some serious capital into the business so far and last Sunday we worked for 10 hours straight, but it was FUN work because you are personally connected to the business, the product, and the money. Since we're just dabbling, we're only forecasting a profit equal to basically one of our incomes, but it certainly has brought us closer as a couple and shown us how hard we can work if we need to. Based on the results from doing this in our "spare time" I'm really tempted to get into the business full-time, as the extra attention we could pay to the business would easily more than triple our profits.
Anyway, I'm just trying to offer some words of encouragement. Going into business for yourself opens up whole new realms of possibilities. If you can start small and cautiously (we did everything on the cheap and kept a rein on our expenses so they weren't a significant chunk of our savings) and keep a "regular income" I really recommend it. Working for yourself isn't really like working at all. It's not exactly a trip to the beach either. It's more like getting paid to do your household chores or home-improvements. Although, if you don't enjoy it at least as much as your "real job", I'd quit FAST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 AM

404 posts, read 514,804 times
Here's a motivating tip:

Bad Bass Fish Finder:

At Bad Bass Fish Finders we offer the best high quality fish finder on the market. Bad Bass Fish Finder will find any fish, any time, any where. At Bad Bass We know where you live, where your family lives, and we even know where the fish live. If you are not using Bad Bass Fish Finders, you are going to die.

Jimmy Smith's Fish Finder: If you don't buy my fish finder, I am going to kill you.

Have a great day!

William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or