Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,453 times

Advertisements

Because of the glass ceiling men have higher positions and with job cuts in recent years causing them to become unemployed effects the household because he is the biggest source of income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdel View Post
Because of the glass ceiling men have higher positions and with job cuts in recent years causing them to become unemployed effects the household because he is the biggest source of income.
I think unemployment doesn't affect women as much because they don't earn as much as men anyway so it's not a big deal in the first plase. Plus, most married women or women co-habitating with a man can fall back on their man's job if they lose their jobs. If single mothers lose their jobs they got TANF and other welfare tools to help them. Also, it's easier for a woman to get a job in this economy than a man because of salaray requirements: usually for a woman they are lower than a man's.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,154 times
I don't think is fair to say unemployment doesn't affect women as much as men. If a married couple both work and the woman loses her job, I think it is fair to say that the woman can depend on her husband but it might be difficult to manage their bills now with one income especially if the husband didn't make that much money anyway. If a single mother loses her job then it affects everything such as paying her bills and feeding and clothing herself and the kids. Yes, the woman can apply for foodstamps, TANF, and other welfare but the circumstances that caused her to lose her job has to be considered. Maybe she got injured and can't work for a while or something of that nature. We also have to realize that welfare recipients cannot receive benefits anymore if they have been receiving assistance from the program for a certain time. That is because certain programs only allow people to get assistance for a an allotted time period.

If a man loses his job, but he doesn't have a wife or kids then it is not so bad because only has to worry about providing for himself. I think it is also easier for a man to find job or get back on his feet after unemployment. He can work little odd jobs such as cutting grass.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
I have to disagree with Timdel because the economy is changing and more women are starting to be known as the breadmaker in their household. Unemployment does affect women just as equally as men. Yes women can get help from the government but their is a time limit for that assistance. A male is more commonly to get emplyment over a female because of the reputation that he is the primary supporter. A single mother struggles daily because she worries about her children eating even if she doesn't. Even though there are different benefits to assist her, there is a cap on how much she can get each month and the benefits does not increase with cost of living.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
Regardless of whether it hurts more if a man or a women loses a job is dependent on their circumstances. The more you make, the more it hurts, cause you will only get so much on unemployment. The more dependents you have, the more it hurts. The more you have going for you with education, skills, experience etc., the more it helps you get a replacement source of income. In any case, a fully funded emergency fund helps everyone in every situation.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,479 times
I think unemployment effects everyone negatively. It may effect men more because it most of the time it's men who make more money than a man. Most men feel if they are not making money it makes them feel less than a man. when men feel like that it could cause problems in the family.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,323 times
I think this topic is not fair for women. Unemployment does a great influence than men sometimes. Since women have the nature burden(giving a birth), sometimes they are forced to give their education up earlier than when they should be. They may not finish their education because of their children. They are forced losing opportunities in getting jobs after they back to labor market. For women, this kind of reason influence them very much. And they may become one of the Unemployment. That means they may not able to afford their living or their children's expenses. It is a vicious circle: lower education, no competitive to labor market, no jobs, and having no money for their lives, even for their education. Thus, I think Unemployment does influence women a lot than men sometimes, and set them in poverty.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,479 times
True the more education and skills you have gives you a better opportunity to get employment quicker, but the way the economy has been lately thats not a given. a full funded emergency fund is great, but that to comes to an end and you do not want to totally use that up to live on before you secure other employment. Most two parent household have a fully funded emergency fund, but what about the single mother that may not? That causes heartache on her trying to provide for her children.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
Regardless of whether it hurts more if a man or a women loses a job is dependent on their circumstances. The more you make, the more it hurts, cause you will only get so much on unemployment. The more dependents you have, the more it hurts. The more you have going for you with education, skills, experience etc., the more it helps you get a replacement source of income. In any case, a fully funded emergency fund helps everyone in every situation.
I'd have to agree with you when it comes to education, considering that more women than men are getting degrees now a days, and that's a fact, so I'm not talking out of my ass here, or making up facts. The one thing I'd disagree on is that a college degree only goes so far when it comes to anyone being unemployed, but specifically a woman. Let me explain: It seems that most companies are hiring more for non-engineering, computer science, business, or math related degrees. Most women, according to sociology experts, are shuned away from these type of degree paths from the time they are 5 years old. Therefore, women who get a non-math degree will be ok because jobs are out there for such degrees like social work, retiring homes, analysts, etc...

Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,154 times
I totally agree with you about more women are becoming the breadwinner. Also, as i stated in my earlier post, a family cannot manage without two incomes in the house. Now men are relying on their wife to help add to the family's income because his income alone cannot support the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business