Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times

Advertisements

Wall Street slumps after Obama’s jobs speech

O.C. business owners not impressed with jobs plan

He quoted the president wanting “to give companies confidence that if they invest and hire, there will be customers for their products and services.”

“That’s backwards,” Vranich said. “You don’t get new customers by hiring. You get new customers and then you hire.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Wall Street slumps after Obama’s jobs speech

O.C. business owners not impressed with jobs plan

He quoted the president wanting “to give companies confidence that if they invest and hire, there will be customers for their products and services.”

“That’s backwards,” Vranich said. “You don’t get new customers by hiring. You get new customers and then you hire.”
... and you don't get new customers unless people have jobs for income with which to buy the products and services ... so, Chicken / Egg: first?

That said, I'll qualify my answer by restating that I don't believe in a consumer/capitalist society, in any case ... basing life on endless, and endlessly increasing production of, baubles and beads and trinkets and plastic non-sense and cyber-nonsensical materialism is socially, morally, and spiritually bankrupt ... beside the fact that the environment can't support it at the levels of population and increasing population we are living with. Easter Island redux.

Check your mailboxes
Ted

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... and you don't get new customers unless people have jobs for income with which to buy the products and services ... so, Chicken / Egg: first?

That said, I'll qualify my answer by restating that I don't believe in a consumer/capitalist society, in any case ... basing life on endless, and endlessly increasing production of, baubles and beads and trinkets and plastic non-sense and cyber-nonsensical materialism is socially, morally, and spiritually bankrupt ... beside the fact that the environment can't support it at the levels of population and increasing population we are living with. Easter Island redux.

Check your mailboxes
Ted
I have never heard of a business hiring and expanding without an increase in business. Obama offered nothing to boost consumer confidence. More of the same with a different name. It didn't work the first time so why would it work this time ... when conditions are worse. Obama is still playing politics and as a result our economy and the people will continue to suffer.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I have never heard of a business hiring and expanding without an increase in business. Obama offered nothing to boost consumer confidence. More of the same with a different name. It didn't work the first time so why would it work this time ... when conditions are worse. Obama is still playing politics and as a result our economy and the people will continue to suffer.
Brother Donnie, I surely agree it would be super-duper if Emporer Obama would just wave that magic scepter and make the boo boos all better by himself ... unfortunately, I seem to recall that scepter requires a 2/3 majority cooperative effort ... and then requires some responsibility, morality, and ethics in the financial / business community ... so maybe it's sh8t or get off the pot time for everyone? Nah, easier to blame the guy with big ears.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Never heard of a business adding jobs it does not need done either.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Just so long as the endless wars keep going, since it almost 9-11 time again, and all.

Gotta keep the One True Business going, yunno.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Never heard of a business adding jobs it does not need done either.
You apparently haven't worked in a closed union shop ... or a government agency job.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
It's the "build it and they shall come" mentality.

Pray tell though..who will give the customers money to spend ?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Forget about poor retail consumers buying trinkets... Creating a new "infrastructure bank" to fund roads, airports, public buildings, etc. will spur infrastructure/commercial development. This increases corp./govt. buying which leads to job creation. Plus it creates a whole new level of govt. bureaucracy which will require the hiring of more govt. paper pushers.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
It would seem that OC business owners don't understand business that well.

Anyhow the goal of a "jobs plan" is to increase aggregate demand and payroll cuts, infrastructure spending, etc will all increase demand...that is will "create customers".

The hiring incentives have a different focus, there are numerous businesses out there that are pushing their capacity and can just about make effective use of a another employee. Lowering the overall costs to add that employee would result in numerous people being hired that would not have otherwise been hired. Of course...this increases aggregate demand too, but the focus is twofold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business